• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should people be allowed to abuse mice, turn them into drug addicts etc?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Have you ever had to live with a mouse infestation? It changes your perspective. Mice are exceedingly dangerous because of their powerful immune systems, carrying many diseases deadly to us. Also, living without mice is killing mice. Many mice are killed to protect you and I. They die all the time, so that we don't die. Otherwise they would surround us, and we would be sickly. Even if you yourself aren't doing the killing, if you live where there are no mice its because they are being killed for you. Your empty home or workplace or automobile or clothes closet is usable and liveable space for you because mice are being killed.

Humans are the natural enemies of mice.
They're worse than dingoes!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It has gone up dramaticlly too. Not because of increased criminality but because it is an increasing part of the economy so more workers are required. It's not just China using a slave economy.

Yeah I've got my beef with the for-profit prison system. Not sure if that what you're referring to.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Our slaughterhouse”?
Y’all had a slaughterhouse?

Shoulda added local, but being tired does that to you. ;)

Easy to do now.
Website listings to check.
There's loads of apps, including ones where you can scan the product in the shop to get the desired info.
Plus labelling - do you have the leaping bunny logo in the US? (Cruelty Free International).

I was thinking the more do-it-yourself kinda stuff. :) For years, my only cleaning supplies were kitchen ingredients.

I don't know if we have a bunny here. If we do, I haven't seen it. We have a non-GMO butterfly though.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I was thinking the more do-it-yourself kinda stuff. :) For years, my only cleaning supplies were kitchen ingredients.

I don't know if we have a bunny here. If we do, I haven't seen it. We have a non-GMO butterfly though.

Oh OK.

BE3DA740-8DE2-4941-B5DE-657BE12AC75B.jpeg

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Of course the snake died. That’s what can happen when someone irresponsibly leaves a rodent inside a snake’s tank for three days. It did not “outsmart the snake”. The snake wasn’t hungry. They can go extended periods without eating.

So, I seriously doubt it was “ill mice”. It was simply an honest beginner’s mistake that many snake owners have made at some point early on. If the snake isn’t hungry, don’t leave the mouse or rat inside the tank with it. The snake can become seriously ill or even die. This happened to my first ball python, and many other naive people went through something similar as well. You live and you learn.
I never put mice inside my snake’s cage. (I have a corn snake, she’s almost 6 ft long, over 17 years old.) I always take her out to feed her. I’ve learned that if you feed one inside their cage, they’ll think every time you open their cage they’re getting fed, and they might strike at your hand thinking it’s food.

I put her in the bathtub, then feed her there.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Mice live a tragic tale as it is , always living their lives in fear, tortured by cats, hated as pests, always running away. They are actually very intelligent creatures.

Then they are hooked on meth at labs, given cancer causing chemicals, endlessly experimented on and injected with all kinds of crazy stuff, separated from their mothers, starved to death, their hands and feet shocked so that they are delivered food or drugs to see how many shocks they will endure for drugs, and countless other tortures forced upon them.

I'm not bothered by a mouse getting killed instantly by a mouse trap if it's in a house. The cruel fate of mice does bother me.
frown.png
View attachment 55486 The life of a mouse is one of chronic fear and panic, rejection, and hatred as a pest.

It's a tragic tale indeed! They can be quite brilliant and affectionate when loved at a young age and provided for. I used to keep them as pets!

View attachment 55487 View attachment 55488 View attachment 55489 View attachment 55490
Those eyes, the endless twitching and frequent scratching. Mice are already meth addicts!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I never put mice inside my snake’s cage. (I have a corn snake, she’s almost 6 ft long, over 17 years old.) I always take her out to feed her. I’ve learned that if you feed one inside their cage, they’ll think every time you open their cage they’re getting fed, and they might strike at your hand thinking it’s food.

I put her in the bathtub, then feed her there.

My husband does this now. Well, he feeds them in a large bucket.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If people want to benefit from science through experimentation, they should be the "Guinea pigs" instead of forcing it upon other living things.

amorphous_constellation

Suppose I eat bacon over a long time span and then get colon cancer as a result. If a drug has been developed to cure my cancer that was tested on pigs then that's just karma coming back to bite its oinky ***.

Well I mean, if the individual eats the animal, I tend to think the individual owes the right respect to the animal. If I eat bacon everyday and get sick, I'd hope that I wouldn't blame the pigs as much as myself. Then again I'm human, so I might end up doing that, but really the choice was probably mine to eat pigs

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Have you ever had to live with a mouse infestation? It changes your perspective. Mice are exceedingly dangerous because of their powerful immune systems, carrying many diseases deadly to us. Also, living without mice is killing mice. Many mice are killed to protect you and I. They die all the time, so that we don't die. Otherwise they would surround us, and we would be sickly. Even if you yourself aren't doing the killing, if you live where there are no mice its because they are being killed for you. Your empty home or workplace or automobile or clothes closet is usable and liveable space for you because mice are being killed.

We really should just start capturing them to eat them. I mean, all that wasted meat, right?

Far different then using them for experiments.

amorphous_constellation

Well I think we are in control of how we live, and the lifestyles we choose might overlap in order to make different situations happen. Whatever it was that brought on the black plague, and it was probably some technology change, it happened because of an oversight, and not because the mouse armies were at the gates. It was an oversight that made an unconscious animal process collide with our civilizational project.

On the flip side of that, I think western society probably wants to select for a degree of herd immunity for the problems technology creates, as it barrels forward. Colonizing Europeans for example, became an obvious disease vector. Historically, the immune shield that they had from disease, aided their colonial project. This was made possible by the experience of things like the black plague, and on a separate but related front, a non-toleration by the populations they expanded into, of toxic food and alcohol for example

In addition to that point, one might consider that ostensibly, some contemporary studies on mice are redundant: why would they continue to study the effects of lead exposure? We know what that does to a body and mind. However, the point is that they apparently don't foresee exposure to lead as ending, but the only reason I can think of is that they want biology to overcome it. So what are they doing then, are they trying to breed out a toxic reaction, or come up with new drugs to eliminate it?

Also interesting is the situation with the bat. I don't think we have run into so many problems with the bat historically, or at least in modern history (for all I know, man has died of filo-viruses for the last hundred thousand years, if it is true that early man liked living in caves). However, they are closely related to rodents aren't they, and they like clustering together a lot. I had read 'The Hot Zone.'

So it is interesting, this thing between covid and the bat, if that is real. I would have thought it would have been an ebola type virus that was the primary concern, and I actually avoided big cities a little bit in the early 2010's because of outbreaks of that. But, I think the point is that only our level of globalization could finally bridge a bat virus with man.

And I think that maybe, even if it came from a lab, it would have come from the actual biological landscape eventually, if it did not

Last edited: