• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should people be allowed to abuse mice, turn them into drug addicts etc?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Mice live a tragic tale as it is , always living their lives in fear, tortured by cats, hated as pests, always running away. They are actually very intelligent creatures.

Then they are hooked on meth at labs, given cancer causing chemicals, endlessly experimented on and injected with all kinds of crazy stuff, separated from their mothers, starved to death, their hands and feet shocked so that they are delivered food or drugs to see how many shocks they will endure for drugs, and countless other tortures forced upon them.

I'm not bothered by a mouse getting killed instantly by a mouse trap if it's in a house. The cruel fate of mice does bother me.
frown.png
upload_2021-9-21_23-40-52.gif
The life of a mouse is one of chronic fear and panic, rejection, and hatred as a pest.

It's a tragic tale indeed! They can be quite brilliant and affectionate when loved at a young age and provided for. I used to keep them as pets!

Cute_Mouse_-_Paint_by_Diamonds.jpg
download.jpg
mouse.jpg mouse-man.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Okay,

I confess,
I fed some of the mice to my pet boa constrictor and Burmese Python as a kid. I wasn't always nice to them.

But I would never hurt a mouse now.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If humans go extinct....

And mice don't.....

Will Mice ever mutate and evolve into something that resembles a Homo Sapien??

Any evolution experts want to grant a hypothesis on that?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't approve of 'experimentation' on mice at all. They suffer... I don't really understand why its okay. If someone did that to a dog or cat, people would likely freak out. So why is it okay to do that to mice? Like you say, they are quite intelligent.

When I was a kid, I had one that I trained to sit on the edge of my plate while I ate. I'd shove a little food to the side for him, and we'd eat and watch TV.

My husband used to have a snake he fed mice to(it wouldn't eat frozen). I couldn't watch. I knew it had to be, but I couldn't take part(I'm a vegetarian for the same reason). One mouse outsmarted the snake for three days; at one point it built itself a fort of protection. I took the mouse and made a pet of it; it had earned it something better.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't approve of 'experimentation' on mice at all. They suffer... I don't really understand why its okay. If someone did that to a dog or cat, people would likely freak out. So why is it okay to do that to mice? Like you say, they are quite intelligent.

When I was a kid, I had one that I trained to sit on the edge of my plate while I ate. I'd shove a little food to the side for him, and we'd eat and watch TV.

My husband used to have a snake he fed mice to(it wouldn't eat frozen). I couldn't watch. I knew it had to be, but I couldn't take part(I'm a vegetarian for the same reason). One mouse outsmarted the snake for three days; at one point it built itself a fort of protection. I took the mouse and made a pet of it; it had earned it something better.

If the snake isn't hungry, the mouse can actually kill the snake.

It's very sad that animals have to be predators like that for survival. I can handle spiders eating crickets. Cruelty to mice I can't handle anymore.

And I congratulate you on being a vegetarian. I hope that does indeed save some animals from the horrors of the slaughterhouses.

I don't know how anyone could work at a slaughterhouse. The animal holocaust makes me very sad, because they feel pain and rage, and you can tell they feel fear and are sensitive to touch, heat, cold, being crowded, the same things that bother us, hunger, thirst, drug addiction etc.

We would never do to a dog or cat, what we legally do to mice like you say! :(

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If the snake isn't hungry, the mouse can actually kill the snake.

It's very sad that animals have to be predators like that for survival. I can handle spiders eating crickets. Cruelty to mice I can't handle anymore.

And I congratulate you on being a vegetarian. I hope that does indeed save some animals from the horrors of the slaughterhouses.

I don't know how anyone could work at a slaughterhouse. The animal holocaust makes me very sad, because they feel pain and rage, and you can tell they feel fear and are sensitive to touch, heat, cold, being crowded, the same things that bother us, hunger, thirst, drug addiction etc.

We would never do to a dog or cat, what we legally do to mice like you say! :(

The snake did die from a mouse, but the mouse didn't kill it itself. The place he was getting the mice from started selling ill mice... she had already eaten it by the time he found out.

Some animals can't really help it. But some of us can... Occasionally, my cats catch a mouse. Sometimes I can gather it before its too late and take it outside. Other times I get there and its already gone. :( But, they're just doing what cats do...

A friend's brother tried to work in our slaughterhouse. He was pretty rough around the edges, and definitely did not give off an aura that such things would bother him... but he quit a week in saying "I can't listen to them(the animals) scream. I just can't do it."

I hope the vegetarians of the world can make a dent in things. Two of my three kids are, too, and so is my husband. It isn't as uncommon as it once was.

I think it more people kept mice as pets, they'd see how awesome they are. I'd love to keep them again, but there's just too many cats here for that to be a good idea.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If someone did that to a dog or cat,

Fun (NOT) fact... The VA did do medical experimentation on dogs, in regards to breathing and lung function. The article made me want to cry and puke simultaneously.

Animal experimentation needs to stop.

Working on buying both sustainable and animal cruelty free bath and cleaning products from now on. It's a slow transition, with a lot of research.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Mice live a tragic tale as it is , always living their lives in fear, tortured by cats, hated as pests, always running away. They are actually very intelligent creatures.

Then they are hooked on meth at labs, given cancer causing chemicals, endlessly experimented on and injected with all kinds of crazy stuff, separated from their mothers, starved to death, their hands and feet shocked so that they are delivered food or drugs to see how many shocks they will endure for drugs, and countless other tortures forced upon them.

I'm not bothered by a mouse getting killed instantly by a mouse trap if it's in a house. The cruel fate of mice does bother me.
frown.png
View attachment 55486 The life of a mouse is one of chronic fear and panic, rejection, and hatred as a pest.

It's a tragic tale indeed! They can be quite brilliant and affectionate when loved at a young age and provided for. I used to keep them as pets!

View attachment 55487 View attachment 55488 View attachment 55489 View attachment 55490

I have never been a fan of animal experimentation for any reason. Medical, beauty products. None of it.

Maybe it's cruel, but how about we just use death row inmates instead.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Working on buying both sustainable and animal cruelty free bath and cleaning products from now on. It's a slow transition, with a lot of research.

I'd like to get to a point where I'm using natural for both of these things.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Acure is a brand that is both of those things that I listed (cruelty free/sustainable). Not sure what your criteria is for a Natural products, though.

Baking soda/vinegar/lemon juice/salt type stuff(for cleaning). I've talked to some that made their own soaps, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I have a friend who works in medical animal testing, and she has told me they also have pigs, dogs, and rabbits in their facility, not just mice and rats. While she and a few of her colleagues would love if they had a replacement for animal testing, there currently aren't any alternatives that could give the same sample sizes for testing medicines, treatments, etc.

I'm hoping computer simulation will reach a point where it can mimic animal testing to perfection and render usage of live animals redundant in medical testing, but only time will tell if that will ever actually be possible.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

frown.png
View attachment 55486 The life of a mouse is one of chronic fear and panic, rejection, and hatred as a pest.

View attachment 55487 View attachment 55488 View attachment 55489 View attachment 55490

I think animal testing should be done only when absolutely no viable alternative is available and with regulations to ensure suffering is minimized. I also think it should be reserved for medical purposes. Never for cosmetic products.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Baking soda/vinegar/lemon juice/salt type stuff(for cleaning). I've talked to some that made their own soaps, but I'm not sure how to do that.

I would love to do that too.
Main problem is it doesn't store at all. You have to make it then use it. No shelf life.

(Acure is a bathing brand, not cleaning products, my mistake).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think animal testing should be done only when absolutely no viable alternative is available and with regulations to ensure suffering is minimized. I also think it should be reserved for medical purposes. Never for cosmetic products.

I still say use death row inmates. The US has the largest prison population in the world.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a friend who works in medical animal testing, and she has told me they also have pigs, dogs, and rabbits in their facility, not just mice and rats. While she and a few of her colleagues would love if they had a replacement for animal testing, there currently aren't any alternatives that could give the same sample sizes for testing medicines, treatments, etc.

I'm hoping computer simulation will reach a point where it can mimic animal testing to perfection and render usage of live animals redundant in medical testing, but only time will tell if that will ever actually be possible.

Yeah...I work with medical research companies from time to time, and this matches what they've told me.
I think showing support for products that don't use animal testing, or even not using products we don't need is a worthy thing to do at a micro-level.
It gets harder with medicines, but some of the testing is much less neccessary.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Wouldn't that give an incentive to put more folk on death row? Not defending animal testing just asking...

Possibly. Supply and Demand and all that. Then there is the ethical concerns of those on death row that are innocent. But as forensics and DNA advances get better, I would hope that trend is lessening.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Possibly. Supply and Demand and all that. Then there is the ethical concerns of those on death row that are innocent. But as forensics and DNA advances get better, I would hope that trend is lessening.
Also the question of even if folks do terrible stuff like murder should they still be experimented on?