• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I get tested?

Riders

So I have allergies sneezing a bit bit of a mild sore throat runny nose etc. My sister and her hubby had it for a week and a half but it wasn't bad, it was a mild case for both of them. They tested positive. They're about over it though my sister is still wearing a mask around me I have been around her. Should I be tested,I there are lots of mild cases out there?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So I have allergies sneezing a bit bit of a mild sore throat runny nose etc. My sister and her hubby had it for a week and a half but it wasn't bad, it was a mild case for both of them. They tested positive. They're about over it though my sister is still wearing a mask around me I have been around her. Should I be tested,I there are lots of mild cases out there?

Yes, if you were around them and now have symptoms you should definitely get tested and isolate until you get results.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Yes, if you have been in contact with someone with Covid then you need to be tested and take all precautions so you reduce the risk of passing it on to someone else if you are infected.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
They tested positive? then yes. You should also be quarantined while waiting for results

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Guess it depends on one's level of paranoia.

I mean it never hurts to test if it bothers one too much.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Guess it depends on one's level of paranoia.
It also depends on if you need to work or not. I literally couldn't afford to isolate if I tested positive because my job will only pay you after the isolation period, and you have to contact them to get it, it's not automatic. It's not like a paid vacation.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It also depends on if you need to work or not. I literally couldn't afford to isolate if I tested positive because my job will only pay you after the isolation period, and you have to contact them to get it, it's not automatic. It's not like a paid vacation.
Woah really?

I have to ask since I’m not American (sorry to be a pain) what if anything is the US doing to mitigate/compensate workers who have to isolate? Like does it come out of your sick leave or annual leave or long service leave?
Do you guys even have those as base guarantees in the workforce?
(Here those types of leave are mandatory for all workplaces and have a national minimum each business needs to provide. In addition to mandatory maternity and I think now paternity leave.)

I never really thought about it since I think most folks here just take it out of their sick leave, if they have to isolate or just take “personal days.”
But in the US it must be harsher. You guys don’t even have maternity leave, is that right?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Woah really?

I have to ask since I’m not American (sorry to be a pain) what if anything is the US doing to mitigate/compensate workers who have to isolate? Like does it come out of your sick leave or annual leave or long service leave?
Do you guys even have those as base guarantees in the workforce?
(Here those types of leave are mandatory for all workplaces and have a national minimum each business needs to provide. In addition to mandatory maternity and I think now paternity leave.)

I never really thought about it since I think most folks here just take it out of their sick leave, if they have to isolate or just take “personal days.”
But in the US it must be harsher. You guys don’t even have maternity leave, is that right?
It mostly depends on the company policy, as I understand it. Like the isolation pay policy I mentioned, that's Kroger's way of doing it. There's no set standard for this stuff.

Shaul

Premium Member
You should get a test if you have reason to believe you yourself have COVID. Mere exposure alone does not warrant getting a test. I write that for the following reasons. One, there are a limited number of tests. Having one needlessly could delay someone else from getting one who has a greater need to be tested. Two, it increases cost both for you and others.

However, if you still feel you need the test, then get it. You seem to want the reassurance. There is something to be said for peace of mind. Although the fear mongers should be ashamed for fomenting much unneeded anxiety and harm.

But, if you do get the test please (please!) do NOT go to an Emergency Room of a hospital to get it. This is for good reasons. First it is safer for you yourself to go to a clinic. Second it is more economical. Third it could delay treatment for those that genuinely need to be at the Emergency Room. The tests are available from non-Emergency facilities.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It mostly depends on the company policy, as I understand it. Like the isolation pay policy I mentioned, that's Kroger's way of doing it. There's no set standard for this stuff.
That sounds pretty bad, ngl
I mean to choose between working or recovering from an illness should ideally never happen. Especially if someone is living pay check to pay check.

Our national minimum is 10 days per year. In addition to Carer’s Leave, Bereavement leave, annual leave, Long Service leave, maternity leave (I’m not sure if paternity has a minimum.)
All jobs have to pay that as a base level, though only for part time and full time employees. Which is why casual wages are slightly higher normally. But worker’s entitlements do differ between industries. So some workers might get more depending on which industry they work in.

Though I’m not entirely sure what this pandemic has done to such leave for folks. At least in my job the company still has to pay part time/full timers if they have to isolate or get infected and are not allowed to take it out of the employee’s entitlements. I think. I’m sure they can use it as a tax write off or something
But we have a fairly decent Union still. So I can’t speak for most folks

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That sounds pretty bad, ngl
I mean to choose between working or recovering from an illness should ideally never happen. Especially if someone is living pay check to pay check.

Our national minimum is 10 days per year. In addition to Carer’s Leave, Bereavement leave, annual leave, Long Service leave, maternity leave (I’m not sure if paternity has a minimum.)
All jobs have to pay that as a base level, though only for part time and full time employees. Which is why casual wages are slightly higher normally. But worker’s entitlements do differ between industries. So some workers might get more depending on which industry they work in.

Though I’m not entirely sure what this pandemic has done to such leave for folks. At least in my job the company still has to pay part time/full timers if they have to isolate or get infected and are not allowed to take it out of the employee’s entitlements. I think. I’m sure they can use it as a tax write off or something
But we have a fairly decent Union still. So I can’t speak for most folks
Speaking of Kroger:
They Fed America During Lockdown. Nearly Two Years Later, Many Grocery Workers Can’t Make Ends Meet.