• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should fighting sports be legal? Are they moral?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.

If two people mutually agree and decide to beat each other up, I'm not going to get between them or try to stop them. Let them fight, if that's what they wish to do. As a sport, I actually find it to be rather boring.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My path teaches ahimsa (non-violence). My path is for me. As much as I would like it to be, I understand my is not for everyone.
I advocate nonviolence too but I also see a value in things like Bushido and Shaolin where a Code of Honor exists alongside the training in facing conflicts.

It reminds me of the martial arts parody, "Boot to the Head".

Tomef

The Bible spells out ethics, it IS where ethics came from.
That isn’t the case, ethical codes in the bible build on earlier written codes (e.g. Hammurabi’s). More generally, people were living in complex societies long before the bible or ideas about one overall god were codified, and for a long, long time before that lived in groups who had their own ideas about ethical behaviour.The Bible is pretty recent in terms of human history.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.

But the issue at hand isn't whether boxing and MMA are moral; it's whether banning boxing and MMA is moral.

You'll get no objection from me if you want to use your personal moral code to guide your own actions. If you don't want to do boxing, I certainly think you should be able to choose not to do it.

But what you're talking about is using your personal moral code to guide the actions of others against their will.

This is a different ethical situation than just deciding for yourself not to do boxing.

... and something to keep in mind: I - like I'm sure many other people - find your religion deeply immoral. The main reason I don't try to suppress Christianity is this general idea that we should respect the choices of others. However, if you decide that this principle should be abandoned, I - and anyone who agrees with me - would have no reason not to impose our will on you without your consent.

This idea is also expressed in the Bible (specifically in Matthew 7:12).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I advocate nonviolence too but I also see a value in things like Bushido and Shaolin where a Code of Honor exists alongside the training in facing conflicts.

I think it's interesting how the "bushido code" generally developed after the era when samurai were facing conflicts on a regular basis.

When you're a warrior in the midst of a war, there's no question that you're a warrior: you're literally engaging in war, so it's obvious.

But in peacetime when there were no wars to fight, the samurai had an identity crisis: what does it mean to be a member of a warrior class when there are no wars? Samurai were working as civil administrators, accountants, etc... effectively, the samurai decided that they could retain their warrior status if they maintained a warrior ethos - an accountant can still be considered a warrior if he does his accounting "like a warrior" - which meant deciding what a "warrior ethos" entailed.

And for Japanese martial arts, the post-WWII occupation had a major impact on martial arts. Narrowly-focused combat training ("jiutsu" - techniques) was suppressed unless it had a philosophical and ethical component ("do" - way) that the allied occupiers considered acceptable. Sometimes, this was a matter of bringing forward and emphasizing older philosophy that really had been part of the discipline and sometimes it meant creating a philosophy basically from scratch.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm no fan of violence as a spectator sport. The rest of the animal kingdom don't go in for it, but clearly it's unique to homo sapiens.

Clizby Wampuscat

Who is harmed? If both fighters are willing and know the risks then let them do it. I don't like it so I don't watch it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did put up a valid point that some things are wrong and some things are right.

This is ethics. To see whether something is correct or not.

When someone tries to change the unchangeable laws or morality with imaginary scenarios to justify themselves, then it is wrong.

Especially when people who hurt people say they are guiltless because of “rights,”

A right is something held by ethics to belong to the people,

There are many things our government has legalized today in our state and country that are the complete opposite of ethical or even ethically justified.

Ethics does not change. People change and they warp the laws of good and evil to justify themselves with whatever they do.

Under whatever circumstances, this is wrong.
Your argument doesn't work with us moral relativists.
Morals & ethics aren't absolutely true things.
Instead, they result from consensus.
Ideally, morals & ethics will be consistent with each
other, & be useful, ie, optimize justice, peace, & prosperity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Who is harmed? If both fighters are willing and know the risks then let them do it. I don't like it so I don't watch it.
I used to be afraid of the blood and all that and then realized that there are still plenty of rules to help protect the athletes but injuries in any contact sport is always going to be a factor and in the vast majority everything is really just fine to keep injuries superficial as humanly possible as well as medical personnel at the site in case things do go a little bit more roughly then expected but I think that's part of the nature of contact Sports.

Hell even racing can be included as well.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well if it's a commercial spectator practice I'm against it.

Personally, I have more of an issue with the non-commercial versions. NCAA sports - including football, but not just football - are pretty exploitative toward their players. They involve:

- lots of risk to the players without proper compensation for that risk,
- lots of profit but very little of it shared with the athletes, and
- no real safety net in the event of a career-ending injury.

If @Mr. Muto is looking to make sport more ethical, the NCAA would be a good place to start.

☆Dreamwind☆

I have no problem with wrestling, boxing, or martial arts competitions. They're legal, all fighters enter into the competition of their own free will, and as long as they're following the rules and regs that's fine. If you don't agree with it, don't watch it. Simple as that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I remember when George Foreman was making his very late comeback in life when he was almost 50. I was watching the fight, inwardly complaining about how they were letting an old man abuse his name to get a few bucks in some matches that he could not win. The fight was rather sad for most of it. Poor old George spent most of it just covering up. He did not throw any punches at all that I could remember. And then all of a sudden he threw only two punches, one right after another. And the fight was over.

Instant George Foreman fan.