• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should fighting sports be legal? Are they moral?

Mr. Muto

I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
These people enjoy the sport.

Sure it's pure carnage and potentially dangerous, but seeing so many boxers and martial artists grinning ear to ear while their eyes are swollen shut and blood all over says volumes on their passion to fight and their fearlessness to pain.

It's kind of inspiring and of course as you say, the money which can be good as with any other sport where athletes are paid.

A good fighter is also a role model and can be a hero to look up to which society desperately needs.

Mr. Muto

I disagree. The Bible condemns all types of not self-defense violence.

And fighting for sport is not self defense

Just because people like fighting like animals does not justify it ethically.

Mr. Muto

Not so, when the fights have no real reason other than profit.

And legality is not the same as morality.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the few regrets I have was not getting into sport fighting when I wanted to, in my late teens/twenties. My friends and I informally fought, but it would have been thrilling(and great exercise) to take it further.

Probably too old at near 40, though.

I'm not worried about what the Bible says, and I love animals. :D So I'm fine with it. Don't see fighting for sport immoral at all. People get busted up in other sports all the time.

Beating people up without consent would be immoral, in my opinion.

Mr. Muto

Throwing hands with or without consent, if you’ll see my Original explanation is completely unacceptable.

We are supposed to be reasonable civilized beings. Not indulging in and enjoying senseless violence like animals.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Throwing hands with or without consent, if you’ll see my Original explanation is completely unacceptable.

We are supposed to be reasonable civilized beings. Not indulging in and enjoying senseless violence like animals.
I don't see anything uncivilized about exercise in a way that's enjoyable.

To each their own, though. :)

Mr. Muto

I want to clear some things up:

1. Ethics is an OBJECTIVE thing. The Bible spells out ethics, it IS where ethics came from.

God is the Father of morality. It is an objective thing.

2. The Bible condemns ALL violence with the exclusion of self defense with life I believe. I don’t know. But I do know Jesus Christ said,

“If someone slaps you, turn the other cheek,”

3. Consent or simply wanting to do something does not make it ethically correct.

If I thought it was right or justifiable to kill someone, is that ethical?

In the same way, even when fighters get into the ring to hurt the other and themselves, it is still not ethically justified.

We Never Know

No Slack
I think they’re not moral under any circumstances. Boxers and martial artists unfortunately think that with rules and golden glitter, fights are justified and these fights happen for little reason other than money. It is a cruel and unusual thing with or without consent to hypocritically allow violence of any kind in our society. Violence is for the animals. We are people. Not just as sons of God, but by nature we are supposed to be above the animals, not copying them or doing worse things than those unreasonable creatures.
Do you feel that way about all physical sports or just fighting?
Look at football and how many players get career ending injuries, concussions, or develope chronic traumatic encephalopathy after several concussions.

We Never Know

No Slack
As long as no one is biting off ears I don't have a problem with it.