• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should couples need a license to procreate?

Should a license be required to have children?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Should there be prerequisites to having a child?

Probably. But making it an actual prohibition or imposition would cause a lot of harm of its own, and should therefore be avoided.

Campaigns for voluntary, careful consideration of the matter (and encouragement of adoption over intentional birth) are probably a better idea for now. People without healthy extended families should probably avoid childraising altogether.

Would it benefit society if there were?

Almost certainly, although it is a thorny matter to handle, mostly because it involves long avoided, painful admissions.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Not if it can be avoided, but if there is a serious problem it is an option. Suppose Zika became a worldwide menace that could become a recessive inherited genetic trait. Well, yes then testing would be important. It would be cruel not to test in that scenario. We already outlaw marriage between close relatives for similar reasons -- to avoid cruelty.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted <yes>, but it's an unrealistic fantasy.

I imagine that a licensing exam would be heavy on integral calculus &
differential equations, but no advanced math (which would be unfair).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Dad: "Susie, what are you doing with that pen and all of that paper?"
Susie: "I'm having a baby!"

Jumi

Knowing how badly bureaucrats handle most things, this would probably turn out to have biases that aren't useful.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Raising a child is far too much responsibility these days for it to be reasonable to expect a random couple to have the proper means for doing it "by themselves".

It has ever been important to have an extended family to provide not only material and logistical support, but also very necessary alternate adult references for the children. These days I think it has become a full necessity.

Aside from the matter of ethics, the total impracticality of it (what would the punishment be for violating the law?), and the strong likelihood of significant civil unrest, reducing birthrates in the West with an ageing population would be highly problematic.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No. It's impractical fiscally and due to limited resources and manpower. It would end up penalizing the poor, who have less access to birth control methods and biases for rich = stable could make it a beurocratic nightmare.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What would be a fair and accurate criteria for filtering potential parents? What would such a scheme be trying to prevent?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Should there be prerequisites to having a child? Would it benefit society if there were?

That was the idea behind marriage, methinks.
But the problem is that kids not certified become fair game for abuse.

I would instead suggest that the first kid is free, the second requires the minimal certification,
and the 3rd kid results in heavy taxes to pay for all the problems caused by over-population.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Don't know about a license, but there should be some kind of deterrence for having more than two kids; I mean other than the usual problems that more kids bring.

Other than this it would be nice if there was some way to prevent people with an IQ below 90, say, from being able to procreate.

IQ Range and Classification

140 and over Genius or near genius
120-140 Very superior intelligence
110-120 Superior intelligence
90-110 Normal or average intelligence
80-90 Dullness
70-80 Borderline deficiency
Below 70 Definite feeble-mindedness
source

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't know about a license, but there should be some kind of penalty for having more than two kids; I mean other than the usual problems that more kids bring.

Other than this it would be nice if there was some way to prevent people with an IQ below 90, say, from being able to procreate.

IQ Range and Classification

140 and over Genius or near genius
120-140 Very superior intelligence
110-120 Superior intelligence
90-110 Normal or average intelligence
80-90 Dullness
70-80 Borderline deficiency
Below 70 Definite feeble-mindedness
source

Rather self-serving to set the min at 90, eh.
Let's make 120 the minimum.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Rather self-serving to set the min at 90, eh.
Let's make 120 the minimum.
Trouble is, because they only make up 10% of the population and most folk with very superior intelligence + often see the folly in having children, I fear our population would plummet to such an extent that eventually there wouldn't be enough people to run the country. Gotta have someone to man the ramparts.
jsp_avatar1_20151018175319531p9n5gorg.jpg

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Isn't this one of the most massive kinds of governmental intrusion into the lives of private citizens conceivable? Why would you, a libertarian, support this?