• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians Be Keeping the Sabbath?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Isn't it arguable that Christians should be keeping Shabbat since they claim to follow the ten commandments? Certainly Jesus and the disciples kept it, seeing as they were Jews. What argument can really be brought forward that Christians shouldn't be keeping it, and do the gospels anywhere explicitly suggest Jesus wouldn't want his followers to?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Isn't it arguable that Christians should be keeping Shabbat since they claim to follow the ten commandments? Certainly Jesus and the disciples kept it, seeing as they were Jews. What argument can really be brought forward that Christians shouldn't be keeping it, and do the gospels anywhere explicitly suggest Jesus wouldn't want his followers to?

Well, I don't know about other people, but I think the Sabbath keeping is a good idea, well, I like it. Thing is, I have never been in the position where it makes sense, or is fitting to etc., so, I guess, like the idea, not really practical.

I think there are verses that indicate negative attitude towards Sabbath keeping, don't know them however.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Sure; why not? :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A reminder that the Sabbath is a day of the week that runs from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.;)

BTW, gentiles are not under any obligation to follow Jewish Law, but they can obviously do so if they wish.

dantech

Well apparently, Jesus died on the cross for our sins. In doing that, he fulfilled the law which did indeed abolish its usefulness to his followers.

I don't understand it either, but that's probably one of the reasons why I'm not a Christian.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim

There's a reason why church services are usually on a Sunday. And if I'm correct in this, until fairly recently most businesses were closed on Sundays as well.

The Sabbath being mentioned in the ten commandments is probably more to do with Christian observance than it has with Jewish law. And of course Christian observance of the Sabbath isn't the same thing as Jewish observance.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
God never stops working. God did however establish the works and rest periods for every creation. Rest occurs naturally for living things, happening every second of everyday.

dantech

There's a reason why church services are usually on a Sunday. And if I'm correct in this, until fairly recently most businesses were closed on Sundays as well.

The Sabbath being mentioned in the ten commandments is probably more to do with Christian observance than it has with Jewish law. And of course Christian observance of the Sabbath isn't the same thing as Jewish observance.

You do know that when the ten commandments were written, Christianity wasn't even close to existence, right?

In fact, Judaism was only just starting to exist.

But yes, I'm sure the the Sabbath was written in the ten commandments for Christians.

Keeping the Shabat was part of the mosaic law and was therefore part of the covenant that God established with the Isrelites. When Jesus came he fulfilled every letter of the law and then replaced the mosaic law with these two commandments: love Jehovah God with your whole heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.
Although most of the Ten Commandments encompass these principles, it was no longer necessary for Christians to keep the Shabat as the Jews did.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
dantech said:
You do know that when the ten commandments were written, Christianity wasn't even close to existence, right?

And?

dantech said:
But yes, I'm sure the the Sabbath was written in the ten commandments for Christians.

Like it or not Judaism isn't the only religion with a cannon that involves the Old Testament.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Keeping the Shabat was part of the mosaic law and was therefore part of the covenant that God established with the Isrelites. When Jesus came he fulfilled every letter of the law and then replaced the mosaic law with these two commandments: love Jehovah God with your whole heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.

As I recall, but I could be wrong, Jesus was asked which were the greatest of the commandments, not which were the only commandments.

Also, I know you must be aware that both of the cited commandments were not original to Jesus. They are from the Torah.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Rereading my post I see where I was misunderstood.

What I meant to say is the fact that the Sabbath is mentioned in the ten commandments is reason for Christian observance, not that it was put there because of it. That was bad phrasing on my part. And now Dantech's post makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

In fact, Judaism was only just starting to exist.

We figure since Jesus was Jewish, that he would want us to follow the Tanach. Since all 12 apostles were Jewish, they would have followed the 10 commandments as well. :) That's just my thought about the subject. :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Rainbow Mage said:
What argument can really be brought forward that Christians shouldn't be keeping it
I see what you mean Rainbow Mage, but 'Sabbath' means rest, and I know that on Sabbath Jews can't do anything productive. Would you mind explaining why rest is something to celebrate? Also I have some arguments that I have not thought through very thoroughly. If any of them seem interesting you may have at:

It is ridiculous to think God cares to rest. The notion that God gets tired is just silly.

So what if God rested. I still have to work to pay the rent so that I can sleep the sleep that I resent because its such a waste of time, and you want me to just throw away sixteen extra hours per week?

Does God rest every seven days? I sure hope not!

Rainbow Mage said:
, and do the gospels anywhere explicitly suggest Jesus wouldn't want his followers to?
Again these may not be really solid arguments, but they are available if you take interest:

John 5:17 "In his defense Jesus said to them, 'My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.'" Notice Jesus doesn't mention his Father or himself resting, ever.

Also there are numerous NT passages that indicate God doing work, so obviously God could only have rested one day. It must be because of that rest that the serpent was able to deceive Eve. Again, not a great reason for celebration and in fact may be a good reason to not rest on Sabbaths. Instead of resting maybe God should have been watching.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Last edited:

Password

In order for myself to understand the sabbath and keeping it holy(sacred) I would be thinking in terms of what logic from other passages in scripture revels to us about why this might be so. Moses knowledge for some is seen as mesh of egyptian and Hebrew thought.
Slaves will not find any contention in being a slave if one does not allow them to rest.
Now, on a larger scale or sum, we are the slaves, remember that the earth is cursed.*

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Although most of the Ten Commandments encompass these principles, it was no longer necessary for Christians to keep the Shabat as the Jews did.
So the whole Old Testament and ten commandments no longer apply to Christians (except, of course when verses can be cherry-picked to support the Christian right's political agenda)?

Why don't we just discard the whole OT, then, and go exclusively with the updated dispensation?

But didn't Jesus say He wasn't changing even a jot or a tittle (whatever jots and tittles are:rolleyes:), and wouldn't that include the commandment to observe the Shabbat?

As I understand it, the Sunday 'Sabbath' was institued early in church history, when the Christian church was trying hard to seperate itself from the Jewish community, of which it had originally been just another sect.
"Judaizing" by observing the Sabbath was ruled heretical and the day of rest moved to Sunday -- in contravention of the commandment.
The Seventh Day Adventist Church has a lot of historical documentation on this. You could probably Google them for a more accurate history.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Seyorni makes an excellent point about Jesus saying he did not come to abolish the law. He also said on this subject that the righteousness of his followers must exceed the Pharisees. What from the alleged words of Jesus would suggest Christians shouldn't be keeping Shabbat if they're his followers?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Seyorni makes an excellent point about Jesus saying he did not come to abolish the law. He also said on this subject that the righteousness of his followers must exceed the Pharisees. What from the alleged words of Jesus would suggest Christians shouldn't be keeping Shabbat if they're his followers?

Well, actually they do follow it. The thing that Christians did was to change it from Saturday (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset) to Sunday. I was told they did this because Sunday was the day of the resurrection. Seventh Day Adventists do have their Sabbath on Saturday and a few other denominations might. I always thought it should have stayed Saturday, but...