• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should America follow Iceland?

Should America do the same as Iceland?

• Yes

Votes: 24 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am not sure i understand what Iceland has done.
However it seems to be working for them.
Perhaps Cyprus and Greece could take those steps if they left the Eurozone.

It seems to work on the principal that you can not get blood out of a stone.
So non domestic creditors are told to take a walk, we have wiped the slate, the banks you lent to are bankrupt they have gone, you have lost your money.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Thats the sad part. Worst is politicians don't even need to hide it. They know already it's fixed so they can get away with just about anything they want.

And what's worse, is that we just sit by and watch it happen. There's no back-door deals, no shadowy figures in parking garages, no secret meet-ups in abandoned buildings; they do it out in the open, right in front of our faces. And we just sit here and watch, twiddling our thumbs. I'm not even sure, at this point, that there's anything we can do about it. If there is, it's going to take a concerted effort by most of us here, otherwise we're just wasting our time. Look at OWS, they're fighting for the same thing, for years, and have accomplished next to nothing. It's a sad, sad state of affairs here, and pretty soon, it's all going to collapse, come crashing down around us, and we'll be left with literally nothing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And what's worse, is that we just sit by and watch it happen. There's no back-door deals, no shadowy figures in parking garages, no secret meet-ups in abandoned buildings; they do it out in the open, right in front of our faces. And we just sit here and watch, twiddling our thumbs. I'm not even sure, at this point, that there's anything we can do about it. If there is, it's going to take a concerted effort by most of us here, otherwise we're just wasting our time. Look at OWS, they're fighting for the same thing, for years, and have accomplished next to nothing. It's a sad, sad state of affairs here, and pretty soon, it's all going to collapse, come crashing down around us, and we'll be left with literally nothing.

Looks that way. Seems people are giving up in record numbers and those that can are leaving the country. Either for jobs or a better life elsewhere where theres more stability. Never concidered americans border hopping.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We should, but there's no chance of it, because of a very important factor that's unique to Iceland that's not applicable to the US, which my father put very eloquently:

Iceland has about nine people in it.

Accountability is easy in places where the population is such that everyone has a very good chance of having met the various politicians and bankers in person.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Looks that way. Seems people are giving up in record numbers and those that can are leaving the country. Either for jobs or a better life elsewhere where theres more stability. Never concidered americans border hopping.

As long as everything goes according to plan, I'll be in Canada sometime next year.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
As long as everything goes according to plan, I'll be in Canada sometime next year.

I've considered it myself. Me and the fiance have discussed it on several occasions, and it's still a possibility, and even moreso now, because the US isn't going to last much longer.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I've considered it myself. Me and the fiance have discussed it on several occasions, and it's still a possibility, and even moreso now, because the US isn't going to last much longer.

Yup.

Leave America in the Syndicate-y society it's leaving itself into for a country of forests, and ice... and forests.

Hopefully the United Corporations of America won't try to invade. ^_^

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So what happened in Iceland is they fired the corrupt bankers and politicians and are putting them on trial.
The Icelandic economy will outgrow the eurozone in 2012 and is set to outgrow the entire developed world on average, according to estimates from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

Icelandic Anger Brings Debt Forgiveness in Best Recovery Story - Bloomberg

Heck yes!

Sadly, I think if America fired its corrupt bankers and politicians, there will be no one left to "train the replacements..."

F0uad

Heck yes!

Sadly, I think if America fired its corrupt bankers and politicians, there will be no one left to "train the replacements..."

Well i am pretty sure Americans can find some intelligent honest people among themselves...

However the people should march to the parliament and overthrow the government as they did in Iceland.. that is something i don't see Americans doing any time soon.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
'Training' the replacements is probably best avoided, since the 'training' always includes conditioning newcomers to perpetuate the current system by internalizing the values and behaviors that sustain it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
No, No votes... well guys.. stand up and fight for your country?

Seventeen people take down the strongest military in the world?

That's kind of another reason why Americans won't follow Iceland: our government is so wrapped up in its power that it'll consider any attempt to take it down as an act of terrorism, even if its attempted peacefully.

The system is also so intricate that if we tried taking the government to court, there's absolutely no guarantee that there aren't bribes going on behind closed doors.

America is too big. Iceland has nine people in it.

More likely scenario: America will follow not Iceland, but the Soviet Union.

F0uad

Seventeen people take down the strongest military in the world?

That's kind of another reason why Americans won't follow Iceland: our government is so wrapped up in its power that it'll consider any attempt to take it down as an act of terrorism, even if its attempted peacefully.

The system is also so intricate that if we tried taking the government to court, there's absolutely no guarantee that there aren't bribes going on behind closed doors.

America is too big. Iceland has nine people in it.

More likely scenario: America will follow not Iceland, but the Soviet Union.
Ok.. to bad for you guys :(