• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF oks killer robots for cops

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I completely approve… as long as the bots are operating within the law, are targeting criminals, and are not being exploited to target political opposition.

Law enforcement along the west coast could definitely use the upgrade. Let’s hope they don’t get hacked.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My first thought of course was Robocop, but then Terminator comes to mind as well. What could go wrong indeed.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I completely approve… as long as the bots are operating within the law, are targeting criminals, and are not being exploited to target political opposition.

Law enforcement along the west coast could definitely use the upgrade. Let’s hope they don’t get hacked…
"target political opposition"? Can guess where your mind is at. :) People don't need robots to do that. All they need is marching order from Donald Trump. Just grab a hammer, and off they go, just like mindless robots.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"target political opposition"? Can guess where your mind is at. :) People don't need robots to do that. All they need is marching order from Donald Trump. Just grab a hammer, and off they go, just like mindless robots.

It is somewhat problematic that large swathes of people in the US don't trust machines to be able to process votes without interference, but there will now be armed and deadly robots put in the field.

It's been obvious for a while that cyber terrorism would replace much 'traditional' violent action in targetting states, at least where there is state sponsorship. But I wonder if there are not now multiple paths opening up for those same cyber-terrorists to also handle the 'violent action's part of things as well.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

E91BA23E-C218-46C8-9781-D018D5514389.gif

You dare mock the God Emperor’s ability to invigorate His forces?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is somewhat problematic that large swathes of people in the US don't trust machines to be able to process votes without interference, but there will now be armed and deadly robots put in the field.

It's been obvious for a while that cyber terrorism would replace much 'traditional' violent action in targetting states, at least where there is state sponsorship. But I wonder if there are not now multiple paths opening up for those same cyber-terrorists to also handle the 'violent action's part of things as well.
One could argue they can easily do that now. Anything with a computer in it could be hacked and potentially used to kill someone. Hack their pacemaker, for instance. Hijack the computer in a car and have it shut off the steering as they round a corner on a mountain road, or any other James Bond sort of thing.

I was just taken back by how we leap from cops using robots to disarm bad guys, to political assassinations . People don't need robots to do that. Why not just leap to the robots being used to spy on you in your bedroom, or read your thoughts? :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You would prefer seeing addition lives put at risk?

Just measurement and mitigation of the risks in both doing this, and not doing it.

Most of the literature I'd read in police and legal articles pre-2020 from the USA had very specifically noted that the difference between military or police robots would be around deliberate inclusion of lethal weapons. That has changed, but based on a quick review of the SF situation, it appears to have changed for no clearly mandated reason.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the issue? It's not like they operate via autonomous AI.

Some police robots are semi-autonomous already.

The devil is in the detail. Not suggesting these are, but it would be nice to see restrictions on the combination of autonomy and lethal weapons. Or at least guidelines.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A 2nd thread about this?
I see potential for this to actually improve things for us civilians.
But we must exercise oversight, lest Ed 209 run amok.

Last edited: