• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual orientation of forum members

I am:

• heterosexual male

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • non-heterosexual male

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • heterosexual female

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • non-heterosexual female

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters
I'm just your regular boring straight female... Although I have a lot of friends who are gay and lesbian, and I am so totally a queer ally! :D

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Around 30% of people that responded to the survey selected non-heterosexual.

This is interesting because it's somewhere around an order of magnitude higher than what many national polls say.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
RF members do not constitute a random sample.
Yeah I realize that. I'm not claiming that one or the other is false due to the mismatch.

But the interesting question is, what is it about a poll on a Religious Forum that results in a nearly tenfold increase in the amount of non-heterosexual answers?

I wonder if it's because RF has a much higher than average percentage of LGBT members, or if the LGBT subset of the forum was tenfold more likely to respond to this poll. It may be a mix of both, but judging by the number of responders I think it must be the former answer that has the most weight.

Well, how many religious internet forums provide as welcoming an environment as RF? Perhaps that partially explains the interesting result.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well I am an anti-romantic asexual so I do not feel attraction to either sex, or any species for that matter.
I know I can sometimes border the line to antisexualism but I can be very hostile towards sex.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I had to vote non-hetero female although I think this is a misnomer because I am actually bisexual. It would seem to imply that as a non-hetero I must be homosexual which is not the case. Bisexuality should have its own category.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So far …

heterosexual : non-heterosexual
  • 2.48 : 1 for men
  • 1.50 : 1 for women, and
  • 2.11 : 1 all respondents
Usually when statistics are compiled on non-heterosexual sex, women have more of it, mostly due to bisexuality rather than exclusive homosexuality.

For example, on OkCupid, they took a sample size of about a quarter million people (which is not a perfect sample because there is selection bias, but it's interesting anyway), and found that 13% of men have had a sexual encounter with a man, but 33% of women have had a sexual encounter with a woman.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Usually when statistics are compiled on non-heterosexual sex, women have more of it, mostly due to bisexuality rather than exclusive homosexuality.

For example, on OkCupid, they took a sample size of about a quarter million people (which is not a perfect sample because there is selection bias, but it's interesting anyway), and found that 13% of men have had a sexual encounter with a man, but 33% of women have had a sexual encounter with a woman.

Then there is the bias inherent in self reports. Maybe women just feel more inclined to report was is true, rather than what they think should be true.
I'm not suggesting that men lie more, exactly. I do think, though, that men are better at rationalizing behaviour. Even forgetting that it ever happened.

Maybe I just know men better than I do women.:shrug:

Tom