• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex before marriage in the christian faith

dave6

what are peoples thoughts about this i have met these neo harvard educated theologians and pastors who endorse sex before marriage. and then of course there is the more main line doctrine.

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
what are peoples thoughts about this i have met these neo harvard educated theologians and pastors who endorse sex before marriage. and then of course there is the more main line doctrine.

If you ask a enough Christian ministers, from a wide variety of Christian denomiations, I'm sure you will get a wide sampling of opinions ranging from the "mainline" doctrine that you mentioned, all the way to 3 Sigma out on the opinion curve.

I'm not a Christian, but I think you should always try it before you buy it.

Did you mean that literally? :eek:

I was raised as a conservative Christian and as the OP implied I bought into the "mainline" doctrine for many years. However, I no longer define myself as "conservative". I do agree that the "try before you buy" has some appeal. However, the "try" part has many aspects. Sex is just one of many facets of being married - albeit a very important one!

I think a problem arises when sexual conquests (i.e. accumulating notches on the bedpost) become the goal, rather than a part of the more complex ritual of courtship and romance, to see if a potential marriage partner is compatible with you on multiple levels.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a "summer" romance as long as there is no deception involved, there is mutual respect from both parties, and there are no third parties (existing husband, wives or children) that would be emotionally injured in the process - not to mention the potential for STDs from being sexually promiscuous.

It's a delicate topic, sexually, emotionally and spiritually.

Last edited:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It's a small minority that endorses such a thing. Most Abrahamaic faiths would shun against it and there is little to support for it within holy text, tradition, and history. But then again, you opened this question up to plenty of non-christians and non-theist so I'd be shocked if they didn't support sex before marriage.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have nothing against Christians having sex before marriage, so long as they don't start the dogs to howling.

Alceste

Vagabond
If you ask a enough Christian ministers, from a wide variety of Christian denomiations, I'm sure you will get a wide sampling of opinions ranging from the "mainline" doctrine that you mentioned, all the way to 3 Sigma out on the opinion curve.

Did you mean that literally? :eek:

I was raised as a conservative Christian and as the OP implied I bought into the "mainline" doctrine for many years. However, I no longer define myself as "conservative". I do agree that the "try before you buy" has some appeal. However, the "try" part has many aspects. Sex is just one of many facets of being married - albeit a very important one!

I think a problem arises when sexual conquests (i.e. accumulating notches on the bedpost) become the goal, rather than a part of the more complex ritual of courtship and romance, to see if a potential marriage partner is compatible with you on multiple levels.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a "summer" romance as long as there is no deception involved, there is mutual respect from both parties, and there are no third parties (existing husband, wives or children) that would be emotionally injured in the process - not to mention the potential for STDs from being sexually promiscuous.

It's a delicate topic, sexually, emotionally and spiritually.

Yeah, I do mean it. I think it's crazy to decide you want to live together with a person and spend your entire life having sex with only them before you have any idea what that's going to be like.

On the other hand, my Christian friends who went down that road (or at least tried to) seem happy enough in their marriage so far. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I lived with my hubby for years before we got hitched.

Neither of us are Christian though, so there were no moral, spiritual or religious dimensions to that situation. We're just rather fond of one another. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeah, I do mean it. I think it's crazy to decide you want to live together with a person and spend your entire life having sex with only them before you have any idea what that's going to be like.

On the other hand, my Christian friends who went down that road (or at least tried to) seem happy enough in their marriage so far. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I lived with my hubby for years before we got hitched.

Neither of us are Christian though, so there were no moral, spiritual or religious dimensions to that situation. We're just rather fond of one another. :D

I can understand the reasoning behind waiting before having sex. You gotta make sure you're a good match first. You gotta see if you can trust your partner to be there for you. You gotta have something other than physical attraction (even if it's one common interest).

Where I part ways with orthodox standards is that there has to be an official ceremony to ensure the green light is valid. There have been enough shotgun weddings, Vegas weddings, and courthouse weddings after meeting one night to show that a wedding doesn't necessarily mean a couple has known each other enough to follow through on any vows of fidelity, love, and honor. And therefore to validate that the sex is going to be healthy or giving to each other as partners.

Plus, on the flip side, some couples are able to discern whether or not they'll be a good match pretty early on, and engage in sex, move in together, get married, and stay married while finding happiness and joy in their relationships relatively consistently.

I don't advocate what's better in sex and marriage as a standard for everybody. Different strokes for different folks, indeed. I advocate finding a partner you can relate to generally speaking, one that gives you space to be you, and one that shares with you who he or she is in the space you give them.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's a small minority that endorses such a thing. Most Abrahamaic faiths would shun against it and there is little to support for it within holy text, tradition, and history. But then again, you opened this question up to plenty of non-christians and non-theist so I'd be shocked if they didn't support sex before marriage.
"Eighty percent of young, unmarried Christians have had sex. Two-thirds have been sexually active in the last year. Even though, according to a recent Gallup poll, 76 percent of evangelicals believe sex outside of marriage is morally wrong.

In fact, a recent study reveals that 88 percent of unmarried young adults (ages 18-29) are having sex. The same study, conducted by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, reveals the number doesn’t drop much among Christians. Of those surveyed who self-identify as “evangelical,” 80 percent say they have had sex. Eighty percent. So much for true love waits."
source

Alceste

Vagabond
"Eighty percent of young, unmarried Christians have had sex. Two-thirds have been sexually active in the last year. Even though, according to a recent Gallup poll, 76 percent of evangelicals believe sex outside of marriage is morally wrong.

In fact, a recent study reveals that 88 percent of unmarried young adults (ages 18-29) are having sex. The same study, conducted by The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, reveals the number doesn’t drop much among Christians. Of those surveyed who self-identify as “evangelical,” 80 percent say they have had sex. Eighty percent. So much for true love waits."
source

Hypocrites. That sort of thing really irritates me. I've dated a couple serious Christians and the whole post-coital sin / guilt / shame "satan sent you to tempt me from the path of righteousness" thing is really tedious.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Hypocrites. That sort of thing really irritates me. I've dated a couple serious Christians and the whole post-coital sin / guilt / shame "satan sent you to tempt me from the path of righteousness" thing is really tedious.

Ah, premature ejaculators.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

source

Yes, Christians do sin.

Maija

I think in this case, this worked way back then when people were marrying at younger ages, having a shorter "engagement" period too.

Our courtship habits have changed, looking for that 'perfect someone' takes a lot more investigation I suppose and there's a MUCH longer courtship period.