• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

seeking christianity

MJFlores

Depends what you mean by "possible".
It seems to me that there is the "theoretically possible" and the "practically possible".

In theory, anything is possible except the self-contradictory. Like a married bachelor.
And the reason why anything is theoretically possible, is because we don't know everything.
In that sense, I guess any religion is theoretically possible. In fact, ANY unfalsifiable yet internally consistent idea is theoretically impossible.

Then there is the practically possible. That is about what is and isn't possible according to our understanding of nature / reality. It is for example practically impossible to violate / suspend / ignore the laws of physics.

Since the supernatural supposedly does exactly that, we can say that the supernatural (and by extension religions involving the supernatural) is practically impossible.

But while all that is interesting... what is even more interesting that asking if it's possible, is asking if it's plausible.

And all religions are extremely implausible. Since all of them require unjustified, extra-ordinary and outlandish assumptions.

So there you have it: all flavours of christianity are extremely implausible as well as practically impossible.
I'll add that the same goes for all theistic (both mono and poly) religions.

Forgot to check your disclosed beliefs.

Atheist-Jokes-atheism-1511590-420-325.jpg

Spartan

Dionysus is older than Jesus, and Dionysus is the true vine. Christians want to replace the Wine God with Jesus. Jesus supposedly turn water into wine. Also Dionysus was celebrated in spring and he was resurrected.

What you have there is a theory, without any substantive evidence.

Refuting the Dionysus / Jesus copycat claim:

Dionysus and Jesus

Spartan

So under christianity, it is forbidden to have justice served for any kind of wrongdoing?

As I said, the bible is unambigous on this particular matter. It says, crystal clear: kill them.

Nope, you just haven't done your homework.

There's only two sources of capital punishment seen in the New Testament - God and government (Romans 13). And neither one of these is seen as killing witches in the NT. If God wants to do it that's his business. But there's no command to burn witches.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
No. It is so by very definition.
Every religion that survives, survives because followers keep it alive.

Scientific explanations survive because they work.
Religions survive because believers keep them alive.

:rolleyes:

No, christianity is very much the bible.

LOL No... Faith remains because they work... as a matter of fact, it works when science fails :D

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Nope, you just haven't done your homework.

There's only two sources of capital punishment seen in the New Testament - God and government (Romans 13). And neither one of these is seen as killing witches in the NT. If God wants to do it that's his business. But there's no command to burn witches.

First, the bible is more then just the NT.

Second, for many centuries, christians disagreed.

Third, in plenty places in Africa, they are still killing "witches".

4th, the bible, once again, unambigously instructs to kill witches ("mediums", "sorceresses", "necromancers",...). It's right there for all to read.

Where do you think did the Christians of medieval London and elsewhere get the idea?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
LOL No... Faith remains because they work...

It is believed to work. That's kind of the viscious circle of invoking "faith". It's "faith" all the way down.
If it actually worked, it wouldn't be a religion but common knowledge.

as a matter of fact, it works when science fails :D

It doesn't.
Whenever science and religion tackle the same phenomena, if a conclusion is eventually reached, it's always the scientific explanation that wins.

I know of no instance where the supernatural explanation ever turned out to be demonstrably the correct one.

A medical team might be able to cure your cancer.
You sitting on your knees with your hands clasped together, wishing for a cure, will accomplish absolutely nothing.

Also... so, in your opinion, does the Hindu faith "work"?
The islamic faith?
Any of the faiths that you don't believe in?

So how do those survive in your opinion?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It is believed to work. That's kind of the viscious circle of invoking "faith". It's "faith" all the way down.
If it actually worked, it wouldn't be a religion but common knowledge.

This seems more like circular thinking... "It doesn't work because I believe it doesn't work and since I believe it doesn't work, it doesn't work"

hmmm... maybe Jesus had it right...

"Be it unto you as you have believed".

t doesn't.
Whenever science and religion tackle the same phenomena, if a conclusion is eventually reached, it's always the scientific explanation that wins.

I know of no instance where the supernatural explanation ever turned out to be demonstrably the correct one.

A medical team might be able to cure your cancer.
You sitting on your knees with your hands clasped together, wishing for a cure, will accomplish absolutely nothing.

You might want to widen your scope of knowledge.