• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular Morality Rules List

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Father HEathen said:
On the contrary, ethics based on real world cause and effect are far more rational and subtantiated than the random and inconsistent "morals" pulled from the asses of countless gods of countless religions.

Oh so the same as the religious then:

'The "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic"[57] from the Parliament of the World’s Religions (1993) proclaimed the Golden Rule ("We must treat others as we wish others to treat us") as the common principle for many religions. The Initial Declaration was signed by 143 leaders from all of the world's major faiths, including Baha'i Faith, Brahmanism, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Indigenous, Interfaith, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Native American, Neo-Pagan, Sikhism, Taoism, Theosophist, Unitarian Universalist and Zoroastrian. In the folklore of several cultures the Golden Rule is depicted by the allegory of the long spoons.'

It is universal with all religions including atheists and other humanists. From the Baha'i perspective it is inherently underlying the nature of all humanity throughout history. Also the violations, including the most inhuman, of the morals and ethics and the fundamental 'Golden Rule' is likewise universal. Humans are by their nature fallible humans.

HonestJoe

I've been searching for basic rules list secular morality is based on. I'm sure someone here in philosophy, or somewhere! Someone must have one
There isn’t a singular secular morality just as there is no singular religious morality. There are all sorts of different bases for morality different people use, some religious, some secular and so a mixture of both. I’d argue that morality is entirely individual and even where we might look to the same sources to base our morality on, we all see them differently.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Oh so the same as the religious then:

'The "Declaration Toward a Global Ethic"[57] from the Parliament of the World’s Religions (1993) proclaimed the Golden Rule ("We must treat others as we wish others to treat us") as the common principle for many religions. The Initial Declaration was signed by 143 leaders from all of the world's major faiths, including Baha'i Faith, Brahmanism, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Indigenous, Interfaith, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Native American, Neo-Pagan, Sikhism, Taoism, Theosophist, Unitarian Universalist and Zoroastrian. In the folklore of several cultures the Golden Rule is depicted by the allegory of the long spoons.'

And not surprising to atheists, since most of us believe that religious morals are man-made in the first place anyway ;)

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
The best advice I've heard re secular morality came from Satya Narayan Goenka , the Burmese Buddhist who set up the international Vipassana organisation.

When asked "How do we tell good karma from bad" he said "Be aware of the sensations in your body. Good karma produces pleasant sensations, and bad karma produces unpleasant sensations".

Simple but true in my experience.

epronovost

IMHO, without God any such foundation would be arbitrary.

Your God is just as abitrary and the same question that is asked of secular morality can be asked of divine morality. What's the foundation of divine morality? If it's God's authority and power, then this is arbitrary. If it's the "nature of God" to be morality itself, then that's also arbitrary. If we must "have an absolute faith" in God's wisdom that he/she/it/they have good reasons for anything they say and do even if we don't understand it, then this is, functionally speaking, the same as option one and completely arbitrary. Appeals to God are only pushing the problem a bit further away and don't solve them.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The best advice I've heard re secular morality came from Satya Narayan Goenka , the Burmese Buddhist who set up the international Vipassana organisation.

When asked "How do we tell good karma from bad" he said "Be aware of the sensations in your body. Good karma produces pleasant sensations, and bad karma produces unpleasant sensations".

Simple but true in my experience.
I like his work, but I would hardly call it secular.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I like his work, but I would hardly call it secular.

Good point. I was looking for something other than atheist, and I know that lots of people do vipassana retreats without treating it as religious in any way.
In other words, it is as-if-secular for a large number of people.
Nevertheless, you are right, I should have framed that better.