• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS Rules Non-Union Workers Can't Be Forced To Pay Union Dues

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And it's another 5-4 decision that is also clearly political since no SCOTUS decision prior to this was ever rendered the same way.

It's a victory for those who really don't fully buy into what we call "democratic values" because unions give workers a say in their employment since without them most businesses wouldn't even exist. They also are a check on owners and what the latter might try and get away with.

So, it's a victory for those who prefer autocratic forms of leadership. And then we wonder why average lower and middle-income wages are not keeping up, while the rich get richer.

So, my fellow Americans, let's wave a gradual goodbye to our middle class since unions had a great deal to do with how we got a middle class with its benefits to begin with-- American History 101.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In the news....
Supreme Court ruling deals major blow to public worker unions

It's interesting how NBC spins the title....
Instead of a victory for non-union worker rights,
it's a blow to unions. It could've been reported
upon neutrally, but...agenda, you know.
Is it not special that we can rely on fair and balanced folks like you to courageously offer a judgment free rendering of what, in truth, was little more than a major blow to public workers unions?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it not special that we can rely on fair and balanced folks like you to courageously offer a judgment free rendering of what, in truth, was little more than a major blow to public workers unions?
I see both sides, my personal preference notwithstanding.
I'd title it more neutrally, but you see only the leftish status quo,
& resent any other perspective. You don't have "The Truth", bub.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And it's another 5-4 decision that is also clearly political since no SCOTUS decision prior to this was ever rendered the same way.

It's a victory for those who really don't fully buy into what we call "democratic values" because unions give workers a say in their employment since without them most businesses wouldn't even exist. They also are a check on owners and what the latter might try and get away with.

So, it's a victory for those who prefer autocratic forms of leadership. And then we wonder why average lower and middle-income wages are not keeping up, while the rich get richer.

So, my fellow Americans, let's wave a gradual goodbye to our middle class since unions had a great deal to do with how we got a middle class with its benefits to begin with-- American History 101.
To compel non-union workers to pay union dues is more "undemocratic".
If a union is really needed, then workers would flock to it & finance it
without governmental coercion to pay dues.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Careful those Union guys got baseball bats and the backing of the mob.
Aye, I know former union members who discovered that relationship.
Of people who've worked for me, one former union worker would
beat people up, while another was a saboteur (tire slashing).
A contractor I know has paid bribes to union officials for "peace".

Notice:
These are peripheral issues. The SCOTUS decision shouldn't be
based upon union corruption, just the Constitution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Aye, I know former union members who discovered that relationship.
Of people who've worked for me, one former union worker would
beat people up, while another was a saboteur (tire slashing).
A contractor I know has paid bribes to union officials for "peace".

Notice:
These are peripheral issues. The SCOTUS decision shouldn't be
based upon union corruption, just the Constitution.
I used to be a Teamster long time ago when I was a mover. I discovered my union hall got busted for white collar corruption sometime after. Of course it's been cleaned up since and on the level. Wink wink nudge nudge.. .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How willing are these non-union workers to give up the benefits they too have enjoyed through unions bargaining for workers rights?
You'd have to ask them.
But unions don't always bargain for
what non-union workers want.

jonathan180iq

Some employees benefit by agency of the Union, without paying for it. That's absolutely true. So I don't really see the problem of paying a reduced rate for a monetary benefit that those employees receive on every paycheck by way of a union's previous and current work. They weren't paying the full rate and still getting the full benefit of association...

While I understand the desire to withhold from Union fees if you choose not to join, and/or refuse to join for political reasons, it's a bit disingenuous to accept the wages earned by union negotiations while not having some skin in the game, isn't it?

Unions have and create their own sets of issues. Don't get me wrong. But this decision doesn't correct the problem at hand. There's still an imbalance and unjust scenario being created in the workforce.

Unions formed for a reason, out of necessity, and I think it's important to remember and recognize that, despite their flaws.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some employees benefit by agency of the Union, without paying for it. That's absolutely true. So I don't really see the problem of paying a reduced rate for a monetary benefit that those employees receive on every paycheck by way of a union's previous and current work. They weren't paying the full rate and still getting the full benefit of association...
That's the way it was under the 1977 USSC ruling.
The justices saw a difference regarding government workers (not private sector workers?).
From the linked article....
""States and public-sector unions may no longer extract agency fees from nonconsenting employees," Justice Samuel Alito said in his majority opinion for the court's five conservative justices.
While I understand the desire to withhold from Union fees if you choose not to join, and/or refuse to join for political reasons, it's a bit disingenuous to accept the wages earned by union negotiations while not having some skin in the game, isn't it?

Unions have and create their own sets of issues. Don't get me wrong. But this decision doesn't correct the problem at hand. There's still an imbalance and unjust scenario being created in the workforce.

Unions formed for a reason, out of necessity, and I think it's important to remember and recognize that, despite their flaws.
I wager that the cost of bargaining is minimal compared to dues.

It appears that the ruling only applies to public sector workers because
union bargaining affects government, & is therefor political in nature.
I'd think that fans of government wouldn't see a need for strong unions
to fight with the very organization they trust (unlike businesses).

As I read news coverage of the ruling, it wouldn't change things for
private sector unions. Thoughts on this?

Underhill

In the news....

Personally I think anyone not in the union should then not get any of the pay raises or benefits the union negotiates, or has negotiated for, on employees behalf. See how many opt out then...

David1967

Premium Member
In the news....

I have no problem with allowing a worker to opt out of joining a union, especially if that Union helps fund things they find objectionable. (I'm a freedom kind of guy). At the same time the worker who opts out of the Union should not expect to receive Union benefits.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally I think anyone not in the union should then not get any of the pay raises or benefits the union negotiates, or has negotiated for, on employees behalf. See how many opt out then...
They can bargain on their own.
Perhaps they'll do even better, eh.
In my experience, non-union workers are more productive.