• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific Method is useless in religion?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The closest translation to that line the Daodejing is something like 'The Dao that is Dao is not Dao' :) I like that.
Good....there is also this saying in Chan Buddhism, "The true Dharma (read teaching) is that there is no true Dharma. nevertheless this Dharma that is there is no true Dharma, is the true Dharma!" - From the Teachings of Huang Po... :)

Milton Platt

Mostly by observing its effect on people. In a sense it is not too unlike politics, all the way down to the insuportable, endless controversies.

All the same, it is not at all hard to determine. It is hard to get a consensus.

Yes, but if one is observing effects and making measurements of those effects, one is then applying a tool of science.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well it is a sort of a temporary ego psychological death, but it would generally take many years of meditation practice to realize a mind free from thought even for a few minutes, so don't worry about that. There is a related leaving of the body during the period of a quiescent mind, as in a deep sleep mind state, but the soul returns to body when one returns to the normal awake state of mind of ego consciousness.
Quran describes it in a verse thus:
Verse (39:42)

Sahih International: Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that do not die [He takes] during their sleep. Then He keeps those for which He has decreed death and releases the others for a specified term. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Regards

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Meditation practice is a mind exercise to detach from thought processes, and the goal is to realize reality as it is without interpretation by mental concepts. In other words, it is going beyond concepts, beyond words, to realize THAT reality which the words are meant to represent. Praying to or praise of God is a valid religious practice, as is chanting, but in still mind meditation, eventually the words are displaced by THAT which the words are meant to address. In this state of mind, there is no thought, and thus no "I" arises to interpret what is realized.

What is the non verbal reality represented by the word God? No one can say, for if the mind is free from concepts, there are no words, if there are words, then the non verbal reality was not realized. He who says, does not know, he who knows, does not say!
As Ben D will happily agree, there are many things we both strenuously disagree on, however on his description above he is largely quite correct.

In even simpler terms, which @ben d may or may not agree with.... In meditation, one transcends the subject/object divide whereas in prayer, by its very nature, one maintains or strengthens the subject/object divide (in all but the rarest of cases). Would you agree, Ben D? :D The net result is that they are very different practices. Likewise, meditation is Abrahamic religions is a very different beast from the meditation practices in Eastern traditions. Meditation, in Abrahamic terms is more akin to contemplation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When the mind stops thinking, one is dead. Right? Please
Do the dead ever do the meditation? Please
Regards
Not really, @paarsurrey As is fairly common in conversations like this, followers of Abrahamic religions do not have a very great understanding of these topics due to their entrenched dogmatic thinking. Of course, you are welcome to believe what you wish, but as a seasoned meditator I can tell you that I can stop my thought process in a heartbeat and maintain a thoughtless state for pretty much as long as I wish. This quality or state does take a high degree of focus and practice and is not something that most people can do for more than a second or two.
Well it is a sort of a temporary ego psychological death, but it would generally take many years of meditation practice to realize a mind free from thought even for a few minutes, so don't worry about that. There is a related leaving of the body during the period of a quiescent mind, as in a deep sleep mind state, but the soul returns to body when one returns to the normal awake state of mind of ego consciousness.
Again, @ben d is fairly close to my thinking on this matter to the point that our differences are almost purely one of semantics. Thanks for helping clarify what I was intending, Ben D. I do appreciate it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Coming on to the topic of the thread:
Yet meditation is in no way application of the scientific method and is related to religion , and not related to science in any way. Please
Regards

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Quran describes it in a verse thus:
Verse (39:42)

Sahih International: Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that do not die [He takes] during their sleep. Then He keeps those for which He has decreed death and releases the others for a specified term. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.
The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Word by Word Grammar, Syntax and Morphology of the Holy Quran

Regards
Ah hah, I was not aware of that passage, thank you..

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
As Ben D will happily agree, there are many things we both strenuously disagree on, however on his description above he is largely quite correct.

In even simpler terms, which @ben d may or may not agree with.... In meditation, one transcends the subject/object divide whereas in prayer, by its very nature, one maintains or strengthens the subject/object divide (in all but the rarest of cases). Would you agree, Ben D? :D The net result is that they are very different practices. Likewise, meditation is Abrahamic religions is a very different beast from the meditation practices in Eastern traditions. Meditation, in Abrahamic terms is more akin to contemplation.
I am in agreement with you YmirGF, happily so... :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Again, @ben d is fairly close to my thinking on this matter to the point that our differences are almost purely one of semantics. Thanks for helping clarify what I was intending, Ben D. I do appreciate it.
And I am delighted that we share this common understanding YmirGF.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Coming on to the topic of the thread:
Yet meditation is in no way application of the scientific method and is related to religion , and not related to science in any way. Please
Regards
Very true, the scientific method can only work with aspects of reality that can be measured and manipulated, it can''t work with the immeasurable, particularly when the immeasurable does measuring and manipulation of It's own..

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Very true, the scientific method can only work with aspects of reality that can be measured and manipulated, it can''t work with the immeasurable, particularly when the immeasurable does measuring and manipulation of It's own..
I'm going to disagree a bit here. In meditation, if one follows direction, precisely, one will gain more or less the same experiences. In that regard, meditation states can be verified by others and are not simple faith claims.

Again, meditation techniques can be somewhat "scientific" in that they propose exact techniques that when used by others result in similar experiences. Granted, psychological states uncovered during meditation can quickly move past scientific analysis, but the techniques themselves have been proven to be effective when studied by scientists.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I'm going to disagree a bit here. In meditation, if one follows direction, precisely, one will gain more or less the same experiences. In that regard, meditation states can be verified by others and are not simple faith claims.

Again, meditation techniques can be somewhat "scientific" in that they propose exact techniques that when used by others result in similar experiences. Granted, psychological states uncovered during meditation can quickly move past scientific analysis, but the techniques themselves have been proven to be effective when studied by scientists.
True, and also there are brain scans that indicate changes taking place in specific parts of the brain that can be replicated when subjects meditate, but the actual transcendent state of mind remains unknown to science, for it is subjective, while the brain scans are objective.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why? You think Nyaya and Vaisesika Sutra are not part of Hinduism?
Hinduism is not a religion, it is a conglomerate of religions under the general/blanket term of "Hinduism".
Are "Nyaya" and "Vaisesika Sutra" included in Veda/Yajurveda?
If not, then these do not belong to Vedic Religion or Religion of Veda. Right? Please
Regards

Last edited:

1AOA1

Give me science any day, I would rather medical science fix me than some religious nut praying over me, my how primitive that would be.
If God says to use blueberries, then blueberries are used.
I meant thank god he isn't part of our recovery from whatever ailment, there seems to be death where ever he is.
Phenomena themselves, upon which "technology" depends, don't say things like "we are moving with no divine impetus" or "we are silent on the presence of God." Those things are a generation of materialism.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism is not a religion, it is a conglomerate of religions under the blanket term of "Hinduism".
Are "Nyaya" and "Vaisesika Sutra" included in Veda/Yajurveda?
If not, then these do not belong to Vedic Religion or Religion of Veda. Right? Please
Regards
NO. You are completely mistaken. There is no such thing as Vedic religion that is apart from hinduism.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If God says to use blueberries, then blueberries are used.

Phenomena themselves, upon which "technology" depends, don't say things like "we are moving with no divine impetus" or "we are silent on the presence of God." Those things are a generation of materialism.
I don't agree, I believe no god is needed in science at all, that would only hold them back.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
NO. You are completely mistaken. There is no such thing as Vedic religion that is apart from hinduism.
Vedic religion
noun
the ancient religion of the Aryan peoples who entered NW India from Persia c. 2000–1200 BC. It was the precursor of Hinduism, and its beliefs and practices are contained in the Vedas.
Google

Regards

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Vedic religion
noun
the ancient religion of the Aryan peoples who entered NW India from Persia c. 2000–1200 BC. It was the precursor of Hinduism, and its beliefs and practices are contained in the Vedas.
Google

Regards
Then its simply a historical term that depicts the early period of Hinduism. The religion, the philosophy, the theology and the revelations have all massively increased since then. Many of the Brahmanas, Gita, Upanisads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, the great Sutras, the Shastras, the Smritis, the Puranas, the Agama literature (also considered revelations) postdate the period. Hinduism does not believe in unique revelation, but rather a continuous series of revelations and incarnations by which the transcendent is made manifest in the mortal world.