• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Schizophrenia

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
May have mentioned Ron Unger before? -

It is true that there is no “cure” in the sense of a treatment that can be applied by a professional that reliably makes the problem go away. But it is also true that we have no “cure” for the common cold, and yet fortunately, people do recover from them! In the case of disorders like “schizophrenia,” recovery is less certain, but it is still a reality for manyhttps://recoveryfromschizophrenia.org/wp-admin/#_edn1. Those who do recover most often give some credit to other people who helped them believe that recovery was possible. It’s interesting that while recovery from colds happens whether or not we believe it is possible (because our immune system does the work), recovery from disorders like “schizophrenia” may require belief that it is possible, because such recovery typically requires a person’s own effort. People are unlikely to exert this effort if they lack a belief that it may succeed.

Questions and Answers about Recovery - Recovery from "Schizophrenia" and other "Psychotic Disorders"

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
spiritual-issues-image-3-3-150x150.jpg

Comes from that site -

When people have problems with voices, the most common recommendation they are given is to try to avoid them – to take drugs to make them stop, to simply ignore them, to use distraction, or similar approaches.

But these strategies often don’t work. Or even if they do seem to work, they may themselves cause other kinds of problems that may not be acceptable. So what else can people try?

One possibility is to try the opposite of avoidance: to deliberately engage with the voices!

But this sounds scary or wrong to some people. Won’t engaging with the voices make people take them too seriously or see them as more real than they are? Might that lead to people getting even more lost in the world of voices, and so more distressed?

Helping People To Constructively Engage With Voices - Recovery from "Schizophrenia" and other "Psychotic Disorders"

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Been at Jim Tolles site and he is also on youtube -

Jim Tolles - YouTube

Or search -

Jim Tolles awakening? - leads here -

21 Principles:
  1. We are all Spiritual Beings having a Human Experience.
  2. The nature of the Universe is Love.
  3. Our natural human state is Love.
  4. All of life is for Learning.
  5. An ‘unresolved issue’ is anything that disturbs your peace.
  6. All ‘upset’ points to unresolved issues.
  7. Unresolved issues are not bad, rather opportunities for spiritual growth.
  8. Nothing outside of you causes your disturbances.
  9. You are completely responsible for your experiences in Life.
  10. Physical world reality exists for Spiritual growth.
  11. Spirit meets you at your point of action.
  12. What you believe determines your experience.
  13. Your future is created based on how you respond to current experiences.
  14. The issue isn’t the issue. The real issue is how you are with yourself as you go through the issue.
  15. Healing is the application of Loving to the places inside that hurt.
  16. Every time an individual resolves a single issue, all of humanity moves forward in its evolution.
  17. Spiritual growth is a process, not an event.
  18. Direct Experience is how belief is turned into Knowing.
  19. Judgment is self-condemnation. Self-forgiveness is freedom.
  20. Your human experience on earth is your school. Your primary goal is to accept and master the lessons from this school.
  21. A life filled with Acceptance is a life free of unnecessary emotional suffering.
For the full article -

What is Spiritual Psychology | The Clearing

Also has some skills & Strategies - Jackie would find it enlightening?

:)

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another huge day - see my online journal for September 6th ... plus some emails -

For example -

Find meaning in hard times

Plus try!? - thriveglobal.com happiness Emily Madill - dozens of articles at her author main page ...

What else?? -

Happiness tips gratitude - more self help you COULD say - and it remains a debatable point but so many are so desperate for a quick fix and it rarely works out that way ...

Also Greater Good page -

Happiness Greatest Hits

Esp -

Is a Happy Life Different from a Meaningful One? by Jason Marsh and Jill Suttie

Enjoy your day!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Optimism

Society has taught us that life is difficult, that struggling is the norm. In this environment, optimism seems foolish and unrealistic. Yet, when we meet people who are truly optimistic, we are jealous of their cheerfulness. Attitudes of pessimism, skepticism, and cynicism come from fear and distrust. Life can take care of itself, that’s the attitude of optimism.

Finding hope in uncertain times is easier than you think, it’s within you. It All Starts with You!

If you have a personal challenge you have faced and would like to share your story with My Everyday Challenges, visit What Was Your Challenge and send me an email. I would love to share your story and make you the star.

Life Lessons: Finding Meaning in Hard Times

Could post somethin about MY personal challenges!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
More from that site -

In times like these, hopelessness is a common feeling. There are tragedies on the news every day. The economy never seems to fully recover, and on top of that, our daily lives can bring challenges and negativity sometimes.

Every person faces these situations differently, though. Some find comfort in religion and spirituality; others turn to meditation or therapy. And others, unfortunately, adopt unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as drinking to manage their grief, anguish, and sadness.

However, looking at hard times in a different light can also help in adopting more positive coping mechanisms.

So ... I try this -

Happiness coping mechanisms? - esp - very well mind but several look promising :)

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Did I mention this - things give up be happy?

For example - Purpose fairy site ...

Give up your need to impress others -

Stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not just to make others like you. It doesn’t work this way. The moment you stop trying so hard to be something that you’re not, the moment you take off all your masks, the moment you accept and embrace the real you, you will find people will be drawn to you, effortlessly.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Did I include -

Optimism. The power of positive thinking cannot be overstated. Simply believing that things will work out in the end will help you manage your stress on a regular basis and think more positively about your current situation. Optimists find the best in everything and aren't ever consumed with the need to search for faults. Constantly viewing the world through a positive lens will make the world seem more positive, and you'll be happier to live in it as a result. Fostering optimism can be tough, especially if you're used to a cynical line of thinking, but with practice, it's possible to change your outlook.

I really thought it came from this page? -

20 Good Character Traits (List Of Positive Character Traits We All Need)

Plus more from recent emails ...

Core values as thread?

Poetry as well -

If you are on the lookout for some unusual poetry!

More to come ...

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Latest explanation & intro to my guide? -

When I send the guide as attachment 2 the gang!!!

Hope you are all well.

I have been editing & re-editing a LOT of my writing - I seem to have so much energy lately that I have to do something with it!

I should attach "A Beginner's Guide to reality" which is the latest title of my book.

Not entirely sure how many would read it if it were ever published - so consider yourselves VERY blessed to have access to a mind like mine!

The guide has MANY sections - there is my latest attempts to describe the hghs & lows of 35-years of a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Also some mental health sites that present a VERY different picture of "mental illness" and how we should help those who are going through it.

It also has a lot of quotes that I have found in books & websites over the past few decades. Again, some of the content is off-the-wall but it really resonates with me for one.

Yes - the quotes ALONE could fill a few books easily just taking the very cream of them from sites like Tiny Buddha & Living life fully and azquotes and many others!

Please don't feel at all obligated to read every line and click on every link - that would keep anyone occupied for weeks!!

Let me see ... what else is in the book - well it is NOT just for diagnosed individuals - there is a lot of great tips & advice on being and staying mentally & physically & emotionally healthy. I cover Yoga & meditation & chanting & I could put in more about food.

There is also a jokes section because laughter really is the BEST medicine. I don't know how anyone functions in this crazy world without a healthy sense-of-humour. I certainly consider myself to be very fortunate that mine was never quite extinguished by my experiences!

My book also contains some of my own unique views on philosophy & the meaning of human exitstence - don't feel obligated to agree with it all - I don't always even agree with myself - that is what it is like having a chaotic mind. Never boring!

There is also a huge number of web links - and could have included many many more. I have been blessed with great instincts in terms of using Google and finding interesting or useful sites. Again - I do not expect anyone to click on every link - just trust your gut instinct as to what sounds useful or inspiring ...

Since it is a webpage rather than a printed book - I can include many links & quite a few Leunig images. He is a classic!

Oh yes - how-could-I-forget ... the book also has a few poems and I could have included dozens more!

Let alone all the poems from various books and the poetry group this year.

The book also has a few videos - esp Ron Unger - says what I have been desperately fumbling to say with my writings about psychosis & what value it has to some individuals in a very artificial society. I am amazed that anyone stays sane actually ...

The Ron Unger video is here -

When minds crack ron unger - YouTube

Click on the 19 min video that is usually up top of YouTube - When minds crack is the title of his talk.

I have also included just a portion of some of the amazing books I have enjoyed over the years - like the one Denise gave me in Alfred and many many more - some well-known and some hardly anyone has heard of such as "The Lost Art of Compassion" by Lorne Ladner. Again - I was tempted to include even more books! Oh yes - the name of the book Denise gave me was Gary Zukav's "Seat of the Soul". It has been in print for more than 25 years and many people have been inspired & transformed by it!

Naturally, I have a LOAD of links & thoughts about meditation. I think I would have become an absolute basket-case if I had not "discovered" meditation and some of the techniques for pacifying a restless mind and it has many other benefits as well.

I have included a few dozen Google searches out of the literally thousands I have found over the past years. I hope you find something stimulating or thought-provoking amongst them.

There's a section on depression and how we can help those individuals who are experiencing it. No easy task I will admit but it is a growing problem when you are living in a society like this one!

That's about it - the attached file is about 230kb but it packs a LOT into those bytes!

Hope you enjoy my efforts and tell all of your friends.

Email me if your curiosity has been aroused. No charge :)

[email protected]