• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sceince and religion

farfignewton

the man!
So, heres a thought, just throwing it out there.

What would be a way to combine sceince and religion in a way that is logical?

I know that there is a lot in popular religion that is taken for granted, and assumed beacuse it has always been that way. I know that people could combine the workings of science, the thoughts, the logic and the reasoning, with the unwaivering faith of a sound religion.

Im interisted in everyones opinion, as long as its not "science disproves any religion" or anything similar. I would like a good, productive debate.

Hmm... wonder what people will say? :D

Fluffy

A fool
I don't really see how to make faith compatible with science unless we determine faith to be rational at which point we would need to identify how it is essentially different from any other kind of belief.

Reformed Epistemology argues that belief in God is basic and thus we are justified in believing in God.

Another route would be to discover God with science although that would obviously void all current religious belief since no current religious belief utilises this method.

Just throwing some ideas out anyway :).

Super Universe

Defender of God

I know that there is a lot in popular religion that is taken for granted, and assumed beacuse it has always been that way. I know that people could combine the workings of science, the thoughts, the logic and the reasoning, with the unwaivering faith of a sound religion.

Im interisted in everyones opinion, as long as its not "science disproves any religion" or anything similar. I would like a good, productive debate.

Combine science with religion?

Geologists having their rock hammers blessed before exploring?

Priests baptising stem cells?

Religion is the way ancient man attempted to understand and praise what he thought was an angry god. But God has never been angry or jealous and He does not need us to perform rituals for Him. He just needs us to live and learn.

Science will prove the existence of God on it's own in the next 80 years or so.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't seem to have a problem with this. Nor do a great many scientist who are people of faith.

I keep religion where it belongs in my life and out of my actual scientific exploration.
Not to say I don't draw from what I learn in my scientific experience to make my faith a richer and more informed experience. Quite the opposite.

However, I realize that science has nothing to say about god at all.

Sadly a great many people think that science must affirm their faith or it is against it. This is tragic and IMHO only the result of our pitiful public education system in regards to science.
If we actually taught science to our children... *sigh*

wa:do

Random

Science will prove the existence of God on it's own in the next 80 years or so.

They already have. But the thing is, they're not going to tell YOU or ME about it. The "Profane", those illiterate of higher knowlege, don't need to know, y'see...

Hinduism does have some early scientific thoughts, the product of India...Such as Ayurved

Here are some quotes:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The Earth revolves[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]With its mother water In its orbit,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Around its father, the Sun.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Yajur Veda 3/6[/FONT]

Ye learned men,
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Acquire knowledge of nature cure,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Beneath the waters lies fluid[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]That cures aft fatal diseases.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The water possesses power[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]To cure all maladies,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Acquire this knowledge and power [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]For leading life of vigour and virtues [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Rig Veda 1/23/19[/FONT]

The medicinal herbs
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Penetrate and get diffused[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Into all limbs and joints of the sick[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]And like a sharp and strong moderator[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Destroy his disease.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Rig Veda 10/97/12[/FONT]

This is a great book, this is the link. HOLY VEDAS AND HOLY BIBLES

Random

Hinduism does have some early scientific thoughts, the product of India...Such as Ayurved

Here are some quotes:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]With its mother water In its orbit,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Around its father, the Sun.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Yajur Veda 3/6[/FONT]

Ye learned men,
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Acquire knowledge of nature cure,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Beneath the waters lies fluid[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]That cures aft fatal diseases.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]The water possesses power[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]To cure all maladies,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Acquire this knowledge and power [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]For leading life of vigour and virtues [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Rig Veda 1/23/19[/FONT]

The medicinal herbs
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Penetrate and get diffused[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Into all limbs and joints of the sick[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]And like a sharp and strong moderator[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Destroy his disease.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]- Rig Veda 10/97/12[/FONT]

This is a great book, this is the link. HOLY VEDAS AND HOLY BIBLES

That's wonderful, Penguino, thanks. It is always needful to remind as many as will listen that the ancient wisdom teachings, and particularly the Vedic tradition, can still satisfy the learned to this very day.

Happy Hindu X-Mass, Penguin king! :)

That's wonderful, Penguino, thanks. It is always needful to remind as many as will listen that the ancient wisdom teachings, and particularly the Vedic tradition, can still satisfy the learned to this very day.

Happy Hindu X-Mass, Penguin king! :)

Thank you Random. You have a fantastic Christmas and New Year too! :):)

godscode19

Hello, i would say in answer to the OP Science and religion are not necessarily incompatible. Multiple examples can be found in which mathematics supports theology whilst religion supports mathematics.

A case in point is the wonderful expression of the number 19 in the Holy QURAN and in other Abrahmic faiths. Visit my site for detailed explanations = search godscode19 on google for info.

Happy holidays and peace upon you all (a salaam aleikum).
J.

Fluffy

A fool
I just had a discussion with my brother about this. We decided that if faith is compatible with reason then it is indistinguishable from other types of belief and so is not at odds with science. If faith is not compatible with reason then it is inherently at odds with science.

Rolling_Stone

There's probably as many way as there are people on the planet...but few make the effort.

Somkid

Hummmm.... google Science and Buddhism, a place where science and religion agree, push forward and do not contradict one another.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I just had a discussion with my brother about this. We decided that if faith is compatible with reason then it is indistinguishable from other types of belief and so is not at odds with science. If faith is not compatible with reason then it is inherently at odds with science.

I agree with you and your brother