• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say Something Good

exchemist

Veteran Member
About another religious group to your own.

I'll go first.

I like the Buddhist idea of no-self.
I was impressed with the politeness, gentleness and dignity of the old-school muslims I encountered when I lived in the Middle East in the 1980s.

I was also very much struck by the sense of spiritual calm in the monastic Buddhist temples I visited in Thailand.

Such experiences convinced me of the absurdity of any one religion claiming a monopoly on "The Truth".

Erebus

I like the way Swedenborgians tackle the problem of Hell. It follows the idea that the damned actively choose damnation but it does so in a way that makes sense to me.

As I understand it, they argue that the afterlife reveals people's true nature and that spirits gravitate towards the state that brings them the most comfort. So if the thing someone truly wants above all else is to harm others, they spend their afterlife among those who feel the same way. They don't burn for eternity or exist in perpetual regret. Instead, they spend their afterlife hurting one another and actively enjoy doing so.

This interpretation of Hell implies that damnation is only horrifying from the perspective of those who don't enjoy hurting others. For the damned, it's home.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
About another religious group to your own.

I'll go first.

I like the Buddhist idea of no-self.
Me too, as long as the entire world, except me, share it.

Now what?

Ciao

- viole