• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi Arabian law passed making all "atheists" terrorists under the law.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was talking several years ago with an American who worked there for three years, and he said that the cultural difference is so vast that it's very easy for a westerner to get into trouble. My wife had a conversation with an American female doctor who went there to help the Saudis, and she had a heck of a time leaving the country without her husband, who had left a bit earlier.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Got that right. Non alcoholic beer. Yuck.

I knew a musician who performed in Saudi Arabia years and years ago. He brought some cans back into the states. And yes, there is (were) non alcoholic versions of Budweiser and Miller.

Lol we sell non alcoholic beer at my work (supermarket.) I was most confused when a young man tried to buy one once and my machine didn't allow him to because he was 17. o_O
Funnily enough, the supermarket I work for almost always has a "proper" beer wine and spirits shop next door (which they own.)

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
But its not just Obama. Its a pretty nonpartison thing. Bush met with the King as well. Same with many past president including Bush senior.

Your kick at Obama
Was really a kick to yourself homie

Really? 'Splain please. I didn't vote for Bam-Bam either time.
Or was it a kick me myself as an American?
If so I plea guilty.
I'm not at all happy with the state of my country. I love the U.S.A. but politically we are awful and have been for some time.
I seldom criticise my home nation but it's a flippin' mess right now.
I see you hail from Philly. I have children ( 40 & 48 ) and grandkids in the burbs of Phyllie.
The city, especially Center City is a dangerous place. Crime wise that is.

metis

Monarchs who feel threatened, and the Al Saud's do, don't tolerate any competition to their power, and this is sometimes hard for us democratic westerners to wrap our heads around..

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Back in the 1970s it was generally accepted that Saudi Arabia and other countries can't very well be ignored due to oil needs.

Then again, I have not heard of PECO in a long while. Maybe things changed and I did not notice.

metis

I'm not at all happy with the state of my country. I love the U.S.A. but politically we are awful and have been for some time.
Worse than what the previous administration left us with?

jeager106

Premium Member
And all previous U.S. presidents over the last half century, and the reason is obvious: oil.

Yes of course oil. But now the U.S. is the biggest producer of nat'l gas & oil
( If I err please correct me on that.)
Matter of fact a major producer of nat'l gas hit a BIG pocket of nat'l gas right across the road from my place.
Seems I get something called "royalties" from that starting next Jan.
I'll take it.:D:D:D

metis

Yes of course oil. But now the U.S. is the biggest producer of nat'l gas & oil
( If I err please correct me on that.)
Matter of fact a major producer of nat'l gas hit a BIG pocket of nat'l gas right across the road from my place.
Seems I get something called "royalties" from that starting next Jan.
I'll take it.:D:D:D
No, you're correct.

As far as that "natural pocket of gas", is this a cloaked reference to yourself? :p

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Really? 'Splain please. I didn't vote for Bam-Bam either time.
Or was it a kick me myself as an American?
If so I plea guilty.
I see you hail from Philly. I have children ( 40 & 48 ) and grandkids in the burbs of Phyllie.
The city, especially Center City is a dangerous place. Crime wise that is.
It was simply a kick to yourself because you try to make a remark about Obama having ties with KSA. But its every president , red and blue.

As for Philadelphia, the crime rate is lower then other major cities, and Center city is very safe compared to some neighborhoods in the city. Like North Philly. Try visiting and check it out. We got some great museums and historic sites ;)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why they are an ally of the U.S. if beyond me.
Why Obama loves 'em is clear.
The USA is addicted to petroleum. That is why they remain our allies, despite being nearly as evil as the Third Reich.
Obama doesn't have the cojones to dump the middle east, with their oil and their Zionists, and he won't until he is a President emeritus. But like Carter and Clinton (and unlike Bush) he'll probably be a better ex president than President.

Tom

Deidre

Worse than what the previous administration left us with?

No one administration should ever take full blame for all that's gone wrong, or ...the credit for all that's gone right. Obama definitely likes to blame his failings on the prior administration. That would be like me blaming a prior employee for why I suck at my job. lol Hmmm....

Oh wait, I can't do that and get away with it. I don't dislike Obama, but he is irresponsible, and doesn't accept blame when he's at fault for things.

jeager106

Premium Member
It was simply a kick to yourself because you try to make a remark about Obama having ties with KSA. But its every president , red and blue.

As for Philadelphia, the crime rate is lower then other major cities, and Center city is very safe compared to some neighborhoods in the city. Like North Philly. Try visiting and check it out. We got some great museums and historic sites ;)

Indeed Philly is a city with a very rich heritage.
Most of it is in Bucks county Pa. and immigrants from Germany that were gunsmiths settled there as did skilled tradesmen from trades. Back in the day a gunsmith was a gun builder, there being no manufacturers of firearms as this was pre-industrial.
Gunsmiths were in great demand to supply weapons for pioneers expanding the vast wildernes that, then was Ohio.
There were so many skilled gunsmiths that rifles built in Philly were said to be of the Bucks county school.
A journeyman rifle maker took on helpers knowns as apprentices, thus the term "school".
That meant rifles from Bucks county were highly prized for their dependability, longevity, and accuracy.
I have a Buck county handbuilt replica long rifle with AAA grade curly maple full length stock, Colrain swamped barrel and Davis lock and trigger. It's a repilca circa 1740s flintlock in .40 caliber. It's a small bore as in those days a big game rifle for
deer, bison, elk, bear, etc. were a minimum for .50 caliber with .60, .69. and .75 bore rifles were considered adequate
for large game in those days.
A .32, .36, .40 & .45 bore rifle was considered a small game rifle suitable for game up to deer size animals.
I also have a hand built replica of an American Jeager which would have been built in Bucks county or that area.
It's a "medium" bore of .58 caliber, Colrain swamped barrel, full walnut stock of plain grade, Davis trigger and lock, nothing fancy thus the term American Jeager. The German Jeager was rather fancy thus very expensive so smiths of the day would
build a plain jane rifle but one that worked beautifully.
The builder did fancy engrave the metal of mine tho. It too is a rock lock, meaning it fired using a flint stone to spark the pan charge.
Jeager is German meaning hunter.
I paid a grand each for those rifles and today they are easily worth 3X that amount.
They were the "assult rifles" of the age.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Oh, man, did I ever go off topic this time.
I hope the mods don't beat me too bad.:eek:
This must have something to do with terrorism or I'm in deep doo-doo with the mods.:mad:
Oh, o.k., the flintlock was also used by Wahabbis to promote islam.

jeager106

Premium Member
The USA is addicted to petroleum. That is why they remain our allies, despite being nearly as evil as the Third Reich.
Obama doesn't have the cojones to dump the middle east, with their oil and their Zionists, and he won't until he is a President emeritus. But like Carter and Clinton (and unlike Bush) he'll probably be a better ex president than President.

Tom

Wy is the U.S.A. addicted to petroleum and other industrialized nations are not?
I hear (read) that kind of thing a lot. It makes it sound like the U.S.A. is somehow to blame for something.
Is it because the U.S. consumes more vehicles than any other country?
More gas? Why is that wrong?
Who leads the world in developing vehicles that use alternative fuels?

About S.A. being a rich but backward nation. I have read that in many articles and essays.
It seems the Saudis were no better or worse than any other middle eastern Arabic country.
Backwars, populated by largely uneducated people that struggled to feed themselves.
The ruling authorities found themselves quickly rich from petroleum sales to "oil addicted" nations like
the U.S. Wealth came well before education and a mature society.
The Saudi Wahabbis are a very strict sect of islam and probably behead and murder more people than
any other M.E. nation.
I think it unfare to compare the Saudis with Nazis however.
The Nazis were never quite that bad!

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Wy is the U.S.A. addicted to petroleum and other industrialized nations are not?
I hear (read) that kind of thing a lot. It makes it sound like the U.S.A. is somehow to blame for something.
Is it because the U.S. consumes more vehicles than any other country?
More gas? Why is that wrong?
Who leads the world in developing vehicles that use alternative fuels?

About S.A. being a rich but backward nation. I have read that in many articles and essays.
It seems the Saudis were no better or worse than any other middle eastern Arabic country.
Backwars, populated by largely uneducated people that struggled to feed themselves.
The ruling authorities found themselves quickly rich from petroleum sales to "oil addicted" nations like
the U.S. Wealth came well before education and a mature society.
The Saudi Wahabbis are a very strict sect of islam and probably behead and murder more people than
any other M.E. nation.
I think it unfare to compare the Saudis with Nazis however.
The Nazis were never quite that bad!

Do some addition. Why is it wrong that we make Saudi Arabia (and other nations like it) - a nation you claim is worse than Nazi Germany was - rich off our willful dependence on oil?

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Now, obviously any government can change the meaning of terms at will, since they are sovereign. But, can anyone give me an explanation of how this makes any sense logically? Can anyone explain their reasoning for supporting such an obvious case of misguided legislating?

Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents - Middle East - World - The Independent

A typical example of how groups (in this case Human Rights Watch), followed up by papers looking for emotive stories....... can produce total bulldust.

Apostasy in Saudi Arabia has never been a good idea, and so atheism is not welcomed at all.
The new law is bent upon suppressing ardent extremists, such as Muslims joining up with IS in Syria, etc.

Human Rights Watch seeks the attention of the public, especially in the cases of two Saudi Dissidents. These dissidents are MUSLIMS.

In other words it was clever spin but it's bolloxicles...... here is part of the source(s)....

Human Rights Watch said the new regulations were also a setback to campaigns for the protection and release of a number of prominent human rights activists currently jailed in Saudi Arabia. It said Waleed Abu al-Khair and Mikhlif al-Shammari recently lost appeals and will soon begin three-month and five-year respective sentences for criticizing Saudi authorities.

Raif Badawi's Lawyer, Waleed Abu Al-Khair, Sentenced to a ...
www.patheos.com/.../raif-badawis-lawyer-waleed-abu-al-khair-sentenced...
13 Jan 2015 - From the BBC article: 'Lawyer Waleed Abu Alkhair told the BBC that Mr Badawi, a father of three, had confirmed in court that he was a Muslim ...

Oh......... and if you happen to be openly atheist, or want a holiday of lust and binge drinking in public parks, go to Brighton, England......... FGS don't go to Saudi!!!