• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi Arabian law passed making all "atheists" terrorists under the law.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Now, obviously any government can change the meaning of terms at will, since they are sovereign. But, can anyone give me an explanation of how this makes any sense logically? Can anyone explain their reasoning for supporting such an obvious case of misguided legislating?
I think their view is something like, 1) any activity that upsets the laws in the country, which are currently religion, are a form of terrorism, 2) atheism upsets the religious laws, 3) therefore atheism is a form of terrorism to the country. It's not a good argument, I know, but I think that's kind'a how they reason for it. (based on the experience from the other thread)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This does not surprise me one iota as we need to remember that the Saudis are mostly Wahhabi, and that certainly ain't the most tolerant branch of Islam.

Musty

Since being openly atheist probably doesn't make you particularly popular in Saudi Arabia anyway it does seem to be more a tool of political suppression as the article title suggests than a general attack against atheists.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Since being openly atheist probably doesn't make you particularly popular in Saudi Arabia anyway it does seem to be more a tool of political suppression as the article title suggests than a general attack against atheists.
Agreed. kind of makes it worse though.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
SSaudi is a pretty rich but backwards country

^^^ Yes. When I was studying islam in an attempt to understand why all the murdering of anyone for any reason I read a long
article by a political sociologist who said what you just did but ranted on for pages saying the exact same thing.
I suppose there will be even more beheadins in Saudi Arabia. Little is needed to execute but the mere suspicion
of breaking some islamic law and the Wahabbi Saudis are at least as guilty of murdering people as ISIS.
Why they are an ally of the U.S. if beyond me.
Why Obama loves 'em is clear.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
^^^ Yes. When I was studying islam in an attempt to understand why all the murdering of anyone for any reason I read a long
article by a political sociologist who said what you just did but ranted on for pages saying the exact same thing.
I suppose there will be even more beheadins in Saudi Arabia. Little is needed to execute but the mere suspicion
of breaking some islamic law and the Wahabbi Saudis are at least as guilty of murdering people as ISIS.
But its not just Obama. Its a pretty nonpartison thing. Bush met with the King as well. Same with many past president including Bush senior.

Your kick at Obama
Was really a kick to yourself homie

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
SSaudi is a pretty rich but backwards country
Got that right. Non alcoholic beer. Yuck.

I knew a musician who performed in Saudi Arabia years and years ago. He brought some cans back into the states. And yes, there is (were) non alcoholic versions of Budweiser and Miller.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

And all previous U.S. presidents over the last half century, and the reason is obvious: oil.

Deidre

This right here is most important: ''Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director of Human Rights Watch, said: "Saudi authorities have never tolerated criticism of their policies, but these recent laws and regulations turn almost any critical expression or independent association into crimes of terrorism.''

So, you're being dubbed a terrorist even at the slightest bit of 'critical expression.' That's unreal. :(