• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacrifice

do you really/

• someone else did it for me

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • i do it on my behalf

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no effort is sufficient

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

David T

Premium Member
I made the deep sacrifice of accepting JESUS i gave up drugs!!!!

Note: the above is a fictional account of the usual suspect, whom discovering they are a drug addled screw up, turn it over let go and often times become rather obnoxiously over bearingly religous.

They then decide to evangelize the world because of their idiotic pastor (whos sleeping with someones wife, or kids or) insists upon it so they come to Religious forums as practice.
Interestingly this tends to be most atheists expert on the bible.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I was leaning to the event pending

I die
I stand from this carcass

the angelic appear to see what stood from the dust

if they ask me to follow
it is the same!...….what are you willing to leave behind?

it is written
They who look back are not worthy to serve

does that include friends?
family?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I made the deep sacrifice of accepting JESUS i gave up drugs!!!!

Note: the above is a fictional account of the usual suspect, whom discovering they are a drug addled screw up, turn it over let go and often times become rather obnoxiously over bearingly religous.

They then decide to evangelize the world because of their idiotic pastor (whos sleeping with someones wife, or kids or) insists upon it so they come to Religious forums as practice.
Interestingly this tends to be most atheists expert on the bible.

People need hope. Whether that hope is Jesus, or disobeying Jesus to bed that atheist woman across the street.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
and you think you know what it means

do you?
I did think I knew what it meant, but I now believe I have some uncertainty. I have given up things that I did not want to and did so out of concession to the inevitable. I cannot call that a true sacrifice, even though I recognize that some third party would benefit from my actions.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request

do you?
So what does householder Thief think of what should be sacrificed and who whould be worthy to receive?

That what ever gained is an effect of giving at first place, should be no matter to think long about for those not really completely lost.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
They who look back are not worthy to serve

does that include friends?
family?
That's a good insight. And in regard of the questions after, certain duties possible left, do not fall under giving, but are a matter of Sila (moral conduct), repay, or proper exchange in a hold on relationship. That falls apart if dependency for higher is quited.

Trading Candy for Gold-Renunciation as a Skill might give some graspable advices.

siti

do you?
I don't...I just have questions...

If it is inevitable or unavoidable - is it sacrifice?

If it is motivated by 'love' - is it sacrifice?

If it is given up reluctantly - is it sacrifice?

If it is given up for the sake of a greater reward - is it sacrifice?

If it is not yours to give or take away - is it sacrifice?

What then is sacrifice?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
perhaps I should focus more intently...

if the angelic say to me....follow
but not so to those I know and love

should I stay?.....or should I go?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
perhaps I should focus more intently...

if the angelic say to me....follow
but not so to those I know and love

should I stay?.....or should I go?
I would offer those I love my argument for going and invite them along. If my persuasion fails and they are unconvinced, I have tried and can do no more except follow on.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't...I just have questions...

If it is inevitable or unavoidable - is it sacrifice?

If it is motivated by 'love' - is it sacrifice?

If it is given up reluctantly - is it sacrifice?

If it is given up for the sake of a greater reward - is it sacrifice?

If it is not yours to give or take away - is it sacrifice?

What then is sacrifice?
These are the questions I have too.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Sacrifice is a basic magical principle; in order to attain what your will demands, something of equivalent value must be lost, in order that the balance of the universe should be maintained.

Of your three statements, the one which says "i do it on my behalf" makes the most sense, as it is only a sacrifice to the one who is performing it.

"Someone else did it for me" sounds a bit screwy. Another might be a recipient of sacrificial love or favor, but from their perspective it is a gift, not a sacrifice. The dynamic is different; to the recipient, the corresponding responsibility is not too offer something in direct payment, but rather a moral/karmic responsibility to continue gifting. You show your gratitude for a gift by gifting others.

"No effort is sufficient" just sounds like atheism. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but being unaware of the magical implications of one's actions isn't quite the same thing as not having any.

Last edited:

JJ50

When I was two years old a horse and cart, which was on our long drive at my family home, bolted towards me being frightened by a low flying aircraft, I was standing a little further down the drive. One of my horticulturalist father's staff, 'Auntie' Myra, was packing tomatoes in the nearby packing shed. She heard the commotion and with no thought to her own safety, she ran towards me and the bolting horse. She picked me up and ran to our house, we both fell in the back door, which my mother had just opened, just as the horse and cart passed us with only inches to spare. If 'Auntie' Myra had not been so brave and had put her own safety first, I would not be alive today. I am eternally grateful to her and the fact she was willing to sacrifice her life to save me. She is still alive and will reach the ripe old age of 102 next month. :)

Reactions: Jim