• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacrifice

do you really/

• someone else did it for me

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • i do it on my behalf

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no effort is sufficient

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Jim

Nets of Wonder
it seems this thread has been sacrificed to digression
What @David T and I have been discussing, in my way of thinking, has been the need for more people to be willing, generously volunteering to sacrifice more, for responsible management of the earth’s resources. That’s what makes it a spiritual issue. Seeing it as a spiritual issue is the only way that people can be inspired to willingly sacrifice as much as they need to, to stop the ravaging. It’s an example of the sacrifices that we do on our own behalf, in our love for God, which Jesus made possible for us with His sacrifice.

David T

Premium Member
What @David T and I have been discussing, in my way of thinking, has been the need for more people to be willing, generously volunteering to sacrifice more, for responsible management of the earth’s resources. That’s what makes it a spiritual issue. Seeing it as a spiritual issue is the only way that people can be inspired to willingly sacrifice as much as they need to, to stop the ravaging. It’s an example of the sacrifices that we do on our own behalf, in our love for God, which Jesus made possible for us with His sacrifice.
Amen. Getting an amen from Me is very difficult.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@Thief Now I would check all three answers
- Jesus made a sacrifice that was needed, for all people to have the possibilities that we have now.
- We all have our own sacrifices to make, for those possibilities to be realized.
- No amount of sacrifice is enough to buy salvation. It isn’t for sale. It’s a free gift for anyone who wants it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
@Thief Now I would check all three answers
- Jesus made a sacrifice that was needed, for all people to have the possibilities that we have now.
- We all have our own sacrifices to make, for those possibilities to be realized.
- No amount of sacrifice is enough to buy salvation. It isn’t for sale. It’s a free gift for anyone who wants it.
not buying it

Jesus didn't die with our sins upon Him
that would be scapegoating

not buying it

we all have sacrifices to make......true
but what are you willing to leave behind?

and salvation cannot be bought

if you enter into heaven....it's because you belong there

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The Jewish prophets' job is to interpret the Torah. Part of that interpretation is to know when to temporarily suspend an obligation, i.e. when it becomes impossible.

During the time when the Temple was destroyed, Hosea said, "The words of our lips [prayers] shall be as bullocks [sacrifices]" Hosea 14:2

The Psalmist said, "Burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require." Psalm 40:6

What does God actually want, if not atonement sacrifices?
Repentence. You fall, you stand up again. You return to his ways.
"My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise."
Psalm 51:17