• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rivers

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum.

Rivers have always held meaning for me, and for Hindus. The Ganges, especially is known as India's sacred river, but there are more. There are many legends and ideas associated with it, and the essence of it's waters gets invoked all over the world in daily ritual. The Cauvery, Yamuna, Saraswati, are also important.

People, as individuals, can often say 'my river' about a particular river, small, large, etc.

The Nile was sacred to the Egyptians.
So ... which rivers are important to your religion, what about it makes it important, and do you have a particular affinity to any river, or do you feel spiritually connected to one in some way?

(Maybe there's more that one thread here.)

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm a lake man, myself. I live beside a Great Lake in the U.S., and if I had a better throwing arm could almost toss a stone into it from my house. I even bought an old sailboat that I'm rebuilding into a little pilot house motor boat to putter around the nearby bay, in my dotage.

But none of this has anything to do with religion, really. Just the joy of living. I have lived around and traveled on the Great Lakes most of my life. They're home, to me.

This is the city of Chicago (my home for many years) as seen from a Polish freighter out on Lake Michigan, heading for Burns Harbor at the south end of the lake.

Chicago Ablaze.jpg

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Rivers have always held meaning for me, and for Hindus. The Ganges, especially is known as India's sacred river, but there are more. There are many legends and ideas associated with it, and the essence of it's waters gets invoked all over the world in daily ritual. The Cauvery, Yamuna, Saraswati, are also important.

People, as individuals, can often say 'my river' about a particular river, small, large, etc.

So ... which rivers are important to your religion, what about it makes it important, and do you have a particular affinity to any river, or do you feel spiritually connected to one in some way?

The Volga River between Europe and Russia was important to the Germanic tribes. And is probably etymologically where we get the Spiritual title of Volva (Seeress).

I think I will start developing a relationship with my local River (as there is anything new near me now). I want to start bringing her offerings, and get to know her more intimately.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I have noted in many religious scriptures that rivers play a great role in understanding faith. Very much so in my chosen faith.

It all begins when the clouds gather and at their darkest, the rain of life falls, the runoff gathers on the the plains, feeds into the creeks, streams and then into the rivers, that in turn feed the oceans of meaning.

The rivers have been given many names, but in the end they all feed the one vast ocean.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Volga River between Europe and Russia was important to the Germanic tribes. And is probably etymologically where we get the Spiritual title of Volva (Seeress).

I think I will start developing a relationship with my local River (as there is anything new near me now). I want to start bringing her offerings, and get to know her more intimately.

My city has a river running through it, and many of our best walks and hikes have been along it's shores. It has about 10 pedestrian only bridges so we can do circle walks, crossing the river twice.

I was blessed to be raised by a small river, only big enough for a few swimming holes, maybe 2m deep, but very slow moving. It's still a favorite place.

How wide and fast is the Volga? How far upstream is it navigable?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Rivers are fascinating as philosophical objects of inquiry. In ancient Greek philosophy the story goes that a guy named Heraclitus said something like, "you can never step into the same river twice." He used that as a metaphor to explain that, although we identify things in our minds as discrete, seemingly static objects, they are also constantly in a state of change despite their seeming stability. This has obvious relevance to the Buddhist understanding of impermance.

Great topic!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not actually sure. Let me look it up.

"The Volga, navigable for some 2,000 miles, and its more than 70 navigable tributaries carry more than half of all Soviet inland freight and nearly half of all the passengers who use Soviet inland waterways."

Volga River | Map, Definition, Economy, & Facts

That's impressive! More than half of inland freight. There are some tremendous rivers out there. The Yangtze and Amazon come to mind immediately. Life-giving.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
do you have a particular affinity to any river, or do you feel spiritually connected to one in some way?

After reading about pilgrimage to Gaṅgā recently, I prayed to her the past night, asking her to call me to her when the time is right. Today, I see your new post about sacred rivers and our connection to rivers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Rivers are fascinating as philosophical objects of inquiry. In ancient Greek philosophy the story goes that a guy named Heraclitus said something like, "you can never step into the same river twice." He used that as a metaphor to explain that, although we identify things in our minds as discrete, seemingly static objects, they are also constantly in a state of change despite their seeming stability. This has obvious relevance to the Buddhist understanding of impermance.

Great topic!
Hindu understanding of impermanence too. One of my favorite stories to illustrate detachment includes a river. It can be either about 2 Buddhist monks, or 2 Hindu monks.

Two monks come to a raging stream and find a small frightened girl who can't get home from school, because the water has risen dramatically in a few hours since she went to school. The monks are strict, and under vows not to touch females, for purity reasons. One of the monks just grabs her anyway, and carries her across easily.

Three days later the brother monk finally breaks out, saying, "I can't believe you broke your vow so easily back there. Surely someone else would have come along soon."

To which the monk who had helped her responded, "I carried her for 3 minutes. You carried her for 3 days."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
After reading about pilgrimage to Gaṅgā recently, I prayed to her the past night, asking her to call me to her when the time is right. Today, I see your new post about sacred rivers and our connection to rivers.

That's 'coincidence' for you. We tried to get to the Ganga once upon a time for a dip, but a massive traffic jam got in the way, lol. Maybe next lifetime. I'm so glad we can follow affectionate detachment to such things.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

My local river is the Norman River. When it floods we are an Island in the sea.

Also full of crocodiles :D Wouldlove to swim, but that's not happening;)

r336460_4814232.jpg

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No religion, no spiritual but the river Dordogne makes me feel comfortable, i feel I'm home when I've been away and cross the river. It has a tendency to flood every January meaning we have a 20km detour to get out of the village but still beautiful

20210203_111104.jpg

Then there is the Ceou, only a lowly tributary of the Dordogne but i spend much time walking its banks and righting the worlds worlds problems

dscn1745.jpg

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindu understanding of impermanence too. One of my favorite stories to illustrate detachment includes a river. It can be either about 2 Buddhist monks, or 2 Hindu monks.

Two monks come to a raging stream and find a small frightened girl who can't get home from school, because the water has risen dramatically in a few hours since she went to school. The monks are strict, and under vows not to touch females, for purity reasons. One of the monks just grabs her anyway, and carries her across easily.

Three days later the brother monk finally breaks out, saying, "I can't believe you broke your vow so easily back there. Surely someone else would have come along soon."

To which the monk who had helped her responded, "I carried her for 3 minutes. You carried her for 3 days."

Great story!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

This is something I think often on. The stories of my local River are unknown to me, but they must be there. What is she like? I don't know.

There is a local creek I have a more intimate connection with, having spent some of my more important life experiences there. Quiet and peaceful, though in more recent years, I get the feeling it is stressed and doesn't like the companionship as much. Probably years of pollution...

Viker

Häxan
I grew up next to the Ohio river. Many of fantastic memories along the banks. I've lived on the Indiana and Kentucky sides. When not corrupted by humans, it lives up to it's Native name meaning the beautiful river. There's portions of the Ohio that are mesmerizing even mystical and deeply spiritual.

River Sea

Do you know anything about the Philistine waterways mentioned in the Bible and the Sindhu River, which is mentioned in Hindu texts?

Rivers connects too with many names for same river
The river was the Hakra, the Yamuna, as you mention.
Can you tell me more about any Yamuna River stories you've heard?
I've heard people refer to rivers as "female energy." Is there a reason for rivers' female energy?

I'm learning

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is the city of Chicago (my home for many years) as seen from a Polish freighter out on Lake Michigan, heading for Burns Harbor at the south end of the lake. ...
Speaking as one of the denizens of Greater Chicagoland, thanks for the outstanding photo!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you know anything about the Philistine waterways mentioned in the Bible and the Sindhu River, which is mentioned in Hindu texts?

Rivers connects too with many names for same river
The river was the Hakra, the Yamuna, as you mention.
Can you tell me more about any Yamuna River stories you've heard?
I've heard people refer to rivers as "female energy." Is there a reason for rivers' female energy?

I'm learning
I know nothing about those rivers. Sorry. As to female energy, rivers do seem that to manifest way, but I'm not sure why. Mother Ganga is a good example, so maybe that's a hint, and it could be about nourishing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a Great River that runs through my hometown. Whenever I visit, I cross it and utter blessings to the Spirit of the River. It is without much doubt the most powerful deity that dwells there, rippling through the heart of the city and is the reason the city was founded where it was. It is the principle guardian of the lands there, and capricious as all are.

I was there was a witness with the Spirit of the River tore through its banks and brought the entire city to its knees in one of the worst floods in the country outside of those crafted by Hurricane Spirits. It got some, but not a lot, of national media attention at the time - the Midwest isn't paid much attention to as a whole. I remember the city begging everyone to not use tap water, as only one water pump in the entire city was operating. I remember the distribution sites for drinking water so people wouldn't die of thirst. Ironic, because if we respected the Spirits of the Rivers the water wouldn't be so polluted as to be unsafe to drink. We had to boil everything and wash outside in the rains that wouldn't stop, exacerbating the floods. Always respect the gods, because they often have little care for humans that do not respect them and move aside.