• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Christopher Hitchens

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
You can try to cover their rear ends all you want.

Twitter admits editing offensive Trending Topics, plans more

Truth sucks, huh.
Did you even bother reading the link I posted?
Link (I highlighted the relevant part)
Twitter uses an algorithm to determine what's trending. It's not human-edited. It famously values novelty over popularity. That makes it really really hard for trends to stay alive, as they essentially have to keep snowballing in order to keep trending. That's why it's called a trend! A Twitter spokesperson verified that the company still does not censor trends (although obscenities will be filtered out). Even if the trend was really, really offensive—see the #ReasonsToBeatYourGirlfriend trending topic above—the company would not intervene.
Again, you were wrong. Filtering out obscenities does not equal complete censure. Even RF filters obscenities.:facepalm:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
You claim twitter is censuring atheists at the request of enraged Christians.

I point out that twitter only filters obscenities (just like RF).

You respond with a red herring and an article, that only further disproves your own argument, stating twitter is not currently censuring trends and that they are only considering it for future use.

I point out your article does not support your argument and you respond with this?

This is basically what I'm seeing.

:ignore:

Photonic

Ad astra!
You claim twitter is censuring atheists at the request of enraged Christians.

I point out that twitter only filters obscenities (just like RF).

You respond with a red herring and an article, that only further disproves your own argument, stating twitter is not currently censuring trends and that they are only considering it for future use.

I point out your article does not support your argument and you respond with this?

They have publicly stated that they remove trending topics from the list that are considered offensive.

#GodIsNotGreat had a higher overall trend than #ReasonsToBeatYourGirlfriend or whatever the hell it was called, but That hash remained trending far longer with fewer people talking about it.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
They have publicly stated that they remove trending topics from the list that are considered offensive.

#GodIsNotGreat had a higher overall trend than #ReasonsToBeatYourGirlfriend or whatever the hell it was called, but That hash remained trending far longer with fewer people talking about it.
If you are reading something I am not, please let me know. Both of the links presented so far state that twitter currently edits only obscenities. Also, read your link again. Just because one trend has more people talking about it does not necessarily mean it will be higher. It is a complex algorithm that determines rank.

From the link you posted:
“Blocked” Trending Topics

Again, topics do NOT trend only because people a lot of people are tweeting about them. They trend because new people recently began tweeting about a topic in sufficient volume. But volume of tweets alone isn’t enough.
The key word is “recently.”
Many topics trend on Twitter, then disappear, even though they become more popular later. But Twitter’s algorithm considers it “old news” once it has been trending for awhile. If it didn’t, the trending topics would be overwhelmed with things people are talking about all the time (such as Justin Bieber).

Photonic

Ad astra!
If you are reading something I am not, please let me know. Both of the links presented so far state that twitter currently edits only obscenities. Also, read your link again. Just because one trend has more people talking about it does not necessarily mean it will be higher. It is a complex algorithm that determines rank.

From the link you posted:

I understand their system perfectly fine, thank you. This was not a result of their system. They received multiple death-threats and removed the topic as "offensive."

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I understand their system perfectly fine, thank you. This was not a result of their system. They received multiple death-threats and removed the topic as "offensive."
:facepalm:
And yet the only "evidence" you have presented to strengthen your case stated the exact opposite.

St Giordano Bruno

Christopher Hitchens was not pro George W Bush because he use to ridicule Bush and one time I heard him summing him up by stating every time Bush opens up his mouth it is a syntactical trainwreck. Which I entirely agree.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Excuse me? I never perpetuated anything like that.

it's your entire argument...
why did twitter take it off not because of the obscenities :areyoucra, no it couldn't be that... :sarcastic
why are you over looking the obvious...does it have to be spelled out to you? :facepalm:

why are the reactions to #GodIsNotGreat are completely meaningless...?
was #GodIsNotGreat removed? :yes: why?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
it's your entire argument...
why did twitter take it off not because of the obscenities :areyoucra, no it couldn't be that... :sarcastic
why are you over looking the obvious...does it have to be spelled out to you? :facepalm:

why are the reactions to #GodIsNotGreat are completely meaningless...?
was #GodIsNotGreat removed? :yes: why?
I already addressed every one of those points with Photonic more than once. Simply repeating them with no supporting evidence is not going to somehow make them valid. If you saw a problem with what I presented, please point it out with specifics.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I already addressed every one of those points with Photonic more than once. Simply repeating them with no supporting evidence is not going to somehow make them valid. If you saw a problem with what I presented, please point it out with specifics.

was it removed or not?
and why?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
was it removed or not?
and why?
I already addressed this point as well earlier:
Many topics trend on Twitter, then disappear, even though they become more popular later. But Twitter’s algorithm considers it “old news” once it has been trending for awhile. If it didn’t, the trending topics would be overwhelmed with things people are talking about all the time (such as Justin Bieber).

Amd this is my last post on this. If you aren't willing to have a grown up, two-way, discussion then there is no point in continuing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I already addressed this point as well earlier:

Amd this is my last post on this. If you aren't willing to have a grown up, two-way, discussion then there is no point in continuing.

so in light of hitchens death that trend just died out, really?

wow just wow...