• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"RFfiliates" The Collected Thread

cardero

Citizen Mod
Previously on THE MOD SQUAD…..

Victor’s team has efficiently secured THE FAITHLESS but upon arriving to Castle Sunstone they are faced with another problem. A few remaining community members, who haven’t been seduced by The Proselytizer’s spells, have assembled and are prepared to meet the challenge necessary to protect and secure Castle Sunstone. RF member Jay is leading this group along with staff members FeatherInHair and Maddllama. An argument about procedure breaks out between Victor and Jay that attracts The Proselytizer and his mob. Turning their attention away from the castle, The Proselytizer seizes the opportunity to now infect and enslave the rest of the community.

Katzpur, in a last ditch effort to avoid war and possible takeover, bravely confronts and attacks The Proselytizer but she finds herself powerless against his charms. Recognizing Katzpur’s sacrifice, highly charged emotions are ignited and the remaining uninfected RF members erupt in a declaration of war against The Proselytizer but the sound of a helicopter carrying THE FAITHLESS is soon detected by Painted Wolf’s keen hearing and once again a battle is avoided. THE FAITHLESS have finally arrived.

msqfa.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/carrdero/msqfa.jpg

msqfb.jpg

msqfc.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/carrdero/msqfc.jpg

msqfd.jpg

(to be continued)

lunamoth

Will to love
And who ever said "Can anything good come from Upstate NY?"

Hee hee. Thanks for the honor of being in your comic Cardero. :namaste:

Laurie

cardero

Citizen Mod
But...but...

Hostess Fruit Pies have trans fat!

Great comic, Patr...er...Cardero.
I don’t know if anyone may remember, but in the comic books of the 70’s and 80’s, Hostess used to sponser and run one page ads where superheroes would engage battles with villains and then upon securing victory, celebrate with delicious Hostess Fruit Pies, Cupcakes and Twinkies (an arcane ritual that still boggles my mind today). I might be revealing my age with that reference.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don’t know if anyone may remember, but in the comic books of the 70’s and 80’s, Hostess used to sponser and run one page ads where superheroes would engage battles with villains and then upon securing victory, celebrate with delicious Hostess Fruit Pies, Cupcakes and Twinkies (an arcane ritual that still boggles my mind today). I might be revealing my age with that reference.

Ha! I had no idea...

Great allusion, then.

cardero

Citizen Mod
THE MAKING OF THE “Rffiliates” THE MOD SQUAD (Part 2)

In the last installment, I talked about the writing and showed how the setup is similar to a script or a play. If one is writing for themselves, they can make the script informal and slight. When writing for another artist, the scripter may want to include more information and detail.

I talked about the roughs and the thumbnails and how a simple design can inspire artists to obtain better panel layouts even if the design has to be reconfigured. Once these preliminary jobs are finished, it is time to go to the paper.

THE PAPER

paper.jpg

The real size of a professional comic page is usually measured 10” X 15” and artists usually prefer a high grade Bristol board stock (see figure 2). Blue Line Pro actually makes a professional line of boards for comic artists with the measurements intact.

For the Mod Squad comic, I use a 90 lb 11x14 Multi-purpose Vellum stock (see figure 1). Each page is measured out to 7 1/2” x 10 ¾” which is a significant difference from the common 10”x15”. The reason for this is that every page of the “RFfiliates” has to be scanned in order for it to be posted on the net. Without having to resort to a bigger, professional scanner bed (or scanning and piecing 4 segments of a comic page together), I have had to scale down the page in order for it to fit on my home scanner bed. What does this do to my drawing? It forces me to make simpler drawing decisions and it’s only been in the last three months where I have just started to adjust to this kind of working size.

THE PANEL

sketch.jpg

Every panel is a three step process. Rough (figure 1), tighten (figure 2 and 3) and ink (not shown). Like the roughs that I draw, I lightly sketch the design, always keeping a loose hand and drawing through objects and making sure I leave room for the dialogue balloon. Even though I have the avatars for references to the characters, it is the job of the artist to position them in a 3-D world. Referencing more pictures on the internet of people’s avatars is not uncommon. After the rough placement, I will go in with a mechanical pencil (0.5 lead) and darken in the lines that I mean to keep. I will lightly dab the picture with a gum eraser which will usually pick up my lighter rough lines leaving me with the intended line work. Now I am ready to ink.

After the penciling, I will take a Faber Castell Pitt artist pen. These pens come in a few sizes with the bold pen simulating the tip of a brush. A valued inker would utilize a brush but it takes a very steady hand and plenty of applied practice. I would love to someday learn how to render my artwork in a brush that has to be dipped in an inkwell but the artist pens provide a viable, quicker, cleaner solution to inking the “RFfiliates”. Using the thinnest pen, I will outline all parts of the drawing and then I use a thicker tip to outline the image. Due to the size of the page, I find this works best. I will usually outline the border with the bold tip pen.

THE TOOLS OF THE TRADE

patdesk.jpg

The drawing table…..is not used for my drawings. In commercial art I was forced to complete assignments at an art table and I have developed an opposition to it. Art for me is very spiritual and it should be accomplished anywhere someone can bring a pencil, paper or where someone can find any hard surface to draw on. No doubt that my artwork would greatly improve if I was more disciplined to work at an art table but I think it would take the fun out for me and feel more like a job.

tools.jpg

1.No, that cup is not for drawing perfect circles, it is where I put my coffee.

2,3,4. I couldn’t think about drawing without smoking. In the event of finishing a well drawn page or a run of good panels, sometimes a cigarette is in order.

5. This is the “gum eraser” I was telling you about. What is essential about using a gum eraser is that it is gentle on the paper, you can mold it to any size eraser you want and it doesn’t leave crumbs or dust.

6. EXACTO-Knife is used to trim the sides off the paper before laying it on the scanner bed.

7,8. These are two constantly sharpened No. 2 pencils for laying down the groundwork and sometimes tightening the penciled images (they were longer at the beginning of this storyline).

9. This is a metal ruler with a cork backing. This serves two purposes. The cork backing prevents the ruler from sliding and the raised bottom prevents liquids used in pens and brushwork from seeping under the edge.

10. The ink brush is not used but I just thought I would show you. Good brushes are expensive and it is important to keep them clean and use them with care. There are different size brushes for different line work and it has been noted that a talented embellisher (inker) can produce any and all kind of line work from just a single brush.

11. The mechanical pencil is for fine, definitive and mechanical drawing.

12, 13. These are those Faber Castell pens that act like a brush and are used for embellishing the final penciled line. They are no replacement for actual brush work but they are a GOD-send nonetheless.

14. This is a triangle. It is clear so that the artist can see through to the other lines. Mostly used for perspective work.

15. Lighter vellum and tracing paper. When I have to draw a certain character in a certain place in a certain position, I will use the tracing paper to trace the object in a previous panel to make sure it is the same size and place in the next panel.

THE COMPUTER WORK

After scanning the finished artwork I bring it into a photo program to resize, brighten, contrast, crop and rotate.

I’m going to be honest with everyone. I am a filthy artist. I am a dirty, spotty, smudgy, bumbling artist. Between the coffee spills, the dragging of my lead smudged left hand all over my work can eventually produce some undesirable results. I can’t draw a straight line to save my life. Thank Microsoft for MS Paint. This is where the magic happens. Basically I straighten out the borders, blot out the smudges or any other unwanted lines and darken in small and large black areas. MS Paint is also where the lettering happens and Microsoft just happens to have a cool COMIC SANS font for such occasion.
Each page from the writing to the finished artwork to the scanning, lettering and cleaning and correction can sometimes result in an 8 hour day.

cardero

Citizen Mod
PREVIOUSLY ON MOD SQUAD
RF members Cardero and S2A are revealed as THE FAITHLESS and have arrived as the community holds it’s breath in a last effort to relieve RF of the menace known as THE PROSELYTIZER. S2A falls under THE PROSELYTIZER’s charms leaving Cardero to stand alone.
Cardero quickly relinquishes THE PROSELYTIZER of his faith but not without concern from the staff that he may have taken things too far. In an effort to relieve Cardero of his duty, Victor orders him to stand down but Cardero has another secret weapon in the form of Lunamoth, who justifiably delivers the resounding blow that puts an end to THE PROSELYTIZER’s terror.

But it is far from over. THE MOD SQUAD and RF must now face their most difficult challenge. They must now battle THE PROSELYTIZER’S infected mob in order to secure peace and harmony to their beloved community.

mod9-1.jpg

mod10.jpg

mod8.jpg

(continued)

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
So umm...is this the end? I mean. You had me put a question mark after The End? I am so confused. Are you ending it here or is there like a sequal? I would ask you, but you are kind of like looking at the inside of your eye lids right now.
music-smiley-7545.gif