• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

Horrorble

38489717.jpg

Or even this
78643687_l.jpeg

Yeah exactly they are meant to be caricatures and air heads, good examples of immaturity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah exactly they are meant to be caricatures and air heads, good examples of immaturity.
Real guys are much like this. But most of us have learned to be discrete in our primitive
& juvenile thoughts/discussions. So if we discuss physical attributes of babes in the office,
it should be out of earshot, & not adversely affect the work environment.
Party on, Horrorble!

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yesterday i finally sold my car, so i'm riding cabs to do things. Today, i was hanging out with a couple of friends, and two of us took the same one on our way home to save a few pounds.

Two minutes after we got in, a woman in a car infront of us was doing a 180 degree turn and got stuck midway because a car was parked in a second row. She took a little too much time to decide to back up as someone was in that car, and she was waiting for him to back up, which he finally did.

But while we were waiting, the cab driver honked a couple of times and then said "what's wrong with kitchens?", which i interpreted to be kind of his way in supposedly cracking us up and starting conversations. I looked back at my friend and we both smiled because of it's blatancy and didn't say anything.

Then, he honked a little more, and as she finally started moving, he said "If they could find a way to stop women from driving, everything wrong with the roads would be fixed. It'd be like the way it was back in the seventies."

At this point, i just kept looking out the window, and then when i looked back at my friend i found him to be doing the same. But the cab driver wasn't finished. Just ahead a little bit, she found a spot and signaled that she'll park there, went ahead, and started backing up into it. He honked hysterically, and kept closing up on her, until she seemed to be getting nervous, and i signaled to him with my hands to ease up so she could park. At which point he started to pretend as if he was helping her by yelling instructions to help her park.

She got too uncomfortable anyway and didn't park, although she was almost parked. I wanted to say something, but he was an old man, so i felt it'd be worth nothing. Generally, most of the time, whatever cab drivers say i just nod my head or smile without saying anything, because they often say things i severely disagree with.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yesterday i finally sold my car, so i'm riding cabs to do things. Today, i was hanging out with a couple of friends, and two of us took the same one on our way home to save a few pounds.

Two minutes after we got in, a woman in a car infront of us was doing a 180 degree turn and got stuck midway because a car was parked in a second row. She took a little too much time to decide to back up as someone was in that car, and she was waiting for him to back up, which he finally did.

But while we were waiting, the cab driver honked a couple of times and then said "what's wrong with kitchens?", which i interpreted to be kind of his way in supposedly cracking us up and starting conversations. I looked back at my friend and we both smiled because of it's blatancy and didn't say anything.

Then, he honked a little more, and as she finally started moving, he said "If they could find a way to stop women from driving, everything wrong with the roads would be fixed. It'd be like the way it was back in the seventies."

At this point, i just kept looking out the window, and then when i looked back at my friend i found him to be doing the same. But the cab driver wasn't finished. Just ahead a little bit, she found a spot and signaled that she'll park there, went ahead, and started backing up into it. He honked hysterically, and kept closing up on her, until she seemed to be getting nervous, and i signaled to him with my hands to ease up so she could park. At which point he started to pretend as if he was helping her by yelling instructions to help her park.

She got too uncomfortable anyway and didn't park, although she was almost parked. I wanted to say something, but he was an old man, so i felt it'd be worth nothing. Generally, most of the time, whatever cab drivers say i just nod my head or smile without saying anything, because they often say things i severely disagree with.
30 Examples of Male Privilege:
#3: You can be a careless driver and not have people blame it on your sex.

:D

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Is it still sexist if its just a joke? My gf is always joking about me getting in the kitchen and being a housewife lol

Curious George

Veteran Member
Is it still sexist if its just a joke? My gf is always joking about me getting in the kitchen and being a housewife lol

I would wonder from where the joke stems. First, most "teasing" is a subtle way in which to coerce/control. Second, Often times humor which plays on discriminatory attitudes or biases is a type of survival humor with which one copes with their reality. But lastly, even jokes can reinforce gender roles.

If your partner is claiming one gender role and trying to delegate another to you then I would suggest that is reinforcing a patriarchal view. I know that this may seem like a hard concept to swallow but our ego plays a central role in interpretation of the world. Joking to delegate a gender role that society as a whole denigrates could stem from trying to claim value.

That the patriarchy does exist is hard, unfortunate, and depressing at times. The reaction when dealing with obstacles such as these is to find a coping mechanism. Many people do so with humor. While I can understand the use of survival humor, my personal opinion is that it should be limited and kept away from public audiences. Survival humor is a moment of weakness that can reinforce gender roles since the focus is on dividing the genders and creating a hierarchy. This is most apparent when a group of one gender "jokes" about another gender. This is apparent in both males coping with their reality of loss of male privilege and with females coping with the oppressive and degrading patriarchy which still exists. Further, some females will on occasion use survival humor in coping with threats to female privilege (on the rare occasion where it exists and is threatened).

When we joke we are putting ideas out there. If to cope with the oppressive facets of society one goes around saying males are douches or females are sluts you could easily reinforce others biases, and create biases of your own. We have psychological tendencies to judge others categorically but judge ourselves in situational contexts with rationalizations. (This is why that person on the freeway is a jerk for driving the way that they did, while we view ourselves as making a jerk move- and often shrug it off as "I was stressed, was tired, or made a mistake)" This natural thought pattern can extend to groups and cultures to which we associate ourselves. Thus, always coping with "Guys are just douches" or "girls are sluts" creates a space to categorically ascribe one or both genders.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So today the ejecutiva de cuentas (a better paid than mine charge which agencies only give to women) was telling me how I cannot understand the need for a more impressive image to sell flat screens than just the flat screen and a white background because i am a man, and men just want it direct and cant get the overthetopness of some ads.

I told her I understood it alright but I had no time to find the perfect image (a part work at home a lot because our bosses dont understand how much work they want done in which time and believe they have reasonable expectations) and she told me the problem qas that I was a guy. I told her for the third time that was the only image with that problem and all others did not and she ignored me and asked my direct supervisor (a female friend of mine) to look for those images be beacause men dont get it.

I mean, its the same agency where a woman who loves cars is managing some car brands and the ejecutiva de cuentas knows about this, I simply dont get why people are so selective with their gender stereotyping idiocy sometimes.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So today the ejecutiva de cuentas (a better paid than mine charge which agencies only give to women) was telling me how I cannot understand the need for a more impressive image to sell flat screens than just the flat screen and a white background because i am a man, and men just want it direct and cant get the overthetopness of some ads.

I told her I understood it alright but I had no time to find the perfect image (a part work at home a lot because our bosses don't understand how much work they want done in which time and believe they have reasonable expectations) and she told me the problem was that I was a guy. I told her for the third time that was the only image with that problem and all others did not and she ignored me and asked my direct supervisor (a female friend of mine) to look for those images be because men don't get it.

I mean, its the same agency where a woman who loves cars is managing some car brands and the ejecutiva de cuentas knows about this, I simply don't get why people are so selective with their gender stereotyping idiocy sometimes.

Well unfortunately we all usually have some gender bias (men and women). It is an unfortunate consequence of our unfortunate gender socialization. I think that the best lesson we can glean from such an experience is to make sure we are aware of our gender bias and how that bias affects our actions. Once we realize this, hopefully the rational side of us kicks into gear and can, at least to some extent, eradicate behavior which disparages any gender.

Bismillah

Submit
Revoltingest said:
It hadn't occurred to me before that men & women have made remarks like those to me. (It's true...I was semi-attractive once.) It never affected me other than mild amusement, so these memories got pushed into the dusty corners of my brain.
Ha one time I was riding on campus and passed a sorrority house. A group of girls were outside and started hooting, hollering, and making gestures. I wasn't really offended more embarrassed though it certainly wasn't a bad feeling haha

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well unfortunately we all usually have some gender bias (men and women). It is an unfortunate consequence of our unfortunate gender socialization. I think that the best lesson we can glean from such an experience is to make sure we are aware of our gender bias and how that bias affects our actions. Once we realize this, hopefully the rational side of us kicks into gear and can, at least to some extent, eradicate behavior which disparages any gender.

I thought that was the obvious basis of this thread :eek:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I thought that was the obvious basis of this thread :eek:

I thought the obvious basis of the thread was to point out everyday sexism. My response was acknowledging the unfortunate attitudes that you faced and pointing out that we can all be guilty of bias. Chances are that these same women who made sexist remarks toward you have also felt the unpleasantness of sexist attitudes. This, I felt was a good point to suggest that even people who oppose gender bias are guilty of conduct which highlights their own gender bias. Thus, I thought I would point out that it is imperative that we all reflect on our own gender bias.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I thought the obvious basis of the thread was to point out everyday sexism. My response was acknowledging the unfortunate attitudes that you faced and pointing out that we can all be guilty of bias. Chances are that these same women who made sexist remarks toward you have also felt the unpleasantness of sexist attitudes. This, I felt was a good point to suggest that even people who oppose gender bias are guilty of conduct which highlights their own gender bias. Thus, I thought I would point out that it is imperative that we all reflect on our own gender bias.

Sure, i mean i thought it was more or less obvious ot most of us that most of us can or have had some biases.

Except someone I ve heard around that says women cant be sexist :sarcastic but I think she is the exception and most people here know gendr biases affect everyone and are generally held to some degree to another by all people and that wveryone has been affected or almost everyone has bbeen afected at least some time in their lives and most likely, with frequency by the ills of sexism.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I thought I would make a thread about every day sexism so we could share our stories when they happen, or past stories.
As someone who has often felt ashamed by harassment, so much so that I couldn't even talk about it, I thought this would be important for some people in the forum to get things off their chest.

So Friday evening (of this week) I was walking home after doing a bit of food shopping and a car drove past with a guy sticking half of his body out the window shouting "sexy, hey sexy!" at me, I a trying to ignore him and he said "come on give us a wave!" Like I am actually going to stand there like an idiot and wave at him.

I know I always object to women objectifying me a a sex machine.

It's soo humiliating to be identified as such, whether true or not.

All I request is that you not equate one singular circumstance as being reflective of any group, just as I may retain the opinion that any woman that does not find me appealing to themselves, as (by default) therefore be a tramp, whore, or gay.

Maybe, just supposing, you ain't that interesting or desirable.

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Just saying...

Horrorble

I know I always object to women objectifying me a a sex machine.

It's soo humiliating to be identified as such, whether true or not.

All I request is that you not equate one singular circumstance as being reflective of any group, just as I may retain the opinion that any woman that does not find me appealing to themselves, as (by default) therefore be a tramp, whore, or gay.

Maybe, just supposing, you ain't that interesting or desirable.

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Just saying...

yawn, boring

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
My neighbor woman came over one day and asked me to take a look at her car that was not running right. I said, "sure, I'll go out and give your car a look so while I am out there, go into the kitchen and make me a sammich".

I was trying to make a point. My sister-in law is much worse, she treats her husband like a slave. Many times when I am around, she tries to put me to work, not going to happen.

Most of us men have our heads on straight about equality, I really do try. I want to do what is correct, but many women are hypocrits in this respect, they still look at certain chores as "men's work".

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I watched GI Jane for the first time the other day. I got mad watching that at all the sexism but kinda understood it in a way. It made me wonder how much sexism females in the army/navy in western countries still have to put up with.

Me Myself

Back to my username
My neighbor woman came over one day and asked me to take a look at her car that was not running right. I said, "sure, I'll go out and give your car a look so while I am out there, go into the kitchen and make me a sammich".

I was trying to make a point. My sister-in law is much worse, she treats her husband like a slave. Many times when I am around, she tries to put me to work, not going to happen.

Most of us men have our heads on straight about equality, I really do try. I want to do what is correct, but many women are hypocrits in this respect, they still look at certain chores as "men's work".

Today in the office a co worker said she wanted to move a CPU to some other place. So I didnt notice she was asking me to do it until she said "Oh I so need big strong manly hands to help me move this!" (We were early so I was the only man there then)

She said so jockingly but of course expecting me to move it, I replied "aw. So bad Gigi is no longer working here" ( gigi is a female ex co-worker who poledances, runs longs distances, plays volley and other sports. I called her iron woman :D (I said that in english for the reference to the iron man thing xD) )

I helped her anyways though. Wile doing it I noticed it really wasnt so heavy, she could have totally do it, at least I think so.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would have said, I will move the CPU while you get me a cup of coffee. ;)

Men many times look at women as sex objects which is wrong, but many women look at men as someone to do something for them.

Think about it, has a man ever gave a woman a honey do list? How would that be received?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I would have said, I will move the CPU while you get me a cup of coffee. ;)

Men many times look at women as sex objects which is wrong, but many women look at men as someone to do something for them.

Think about it, has a man ever gave a woman a honey do list? How would that be received?

Hubbie and I have given each other honey-do lists now for a few years. After I started working full time again, it became a necessity for us to communicate with each other in that way for what needs to get done and what our availability is.

I don't see a problem with getting a honey-do list. I'm glad to help out. We both work hard at our jobs and at the business. He does the laundry and a lot of the grocery shopping now. I pick up food at the farm if I'm out. And both of us have very different schedules for our availability for taking kids to and from activities and school, so text each other what we can either pick up or drop off while we're out.

Truth be told, I've never been offended. :shrug: