• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revoltingest's clever ploy!

Daemon Sophic

Yeah there is a certain far left wing pundit I am thinking of on youtube, but to name them discuss their many views would entail discussing a lot off-site material, and they probably aren't here to represent themselves. I'm pretty sure we are allowed to debate each other though, which is why I think we should go back to the question you quoted
Ooookaaayy. You asked if I can or cannot see that idealism can cause a lose of freedom.
Yes. In a cultural revolution, the zealotry of the revolutionaries could lead to deadly enforcement of new laws, with many “examples” being made of former oppressors.
But what does that have to do with the OP or the left/progressives in modern US politics. Their policies include financial conservatism, basic civil liberties, and demilitarization of the police. Among other mild items.
Can you cite modern day USA examples of actual nationwide/political overzealotry? The Green New Deal? Nah....that’s common sense, fiscal conservancy, and minimal conservation working toward improved national infrastructure with independence from foreign powers. Problem? :shrug:

Private toll roads and medication only for those who can afford it sure smell like freedom, don't they.
Single payer healthcare, with some elective medications and procedures for those willing to pay extra. That smells like freedom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Authoritarian regimes aren't guaranteed to be efficient.
But they can be more so than decentralized systems.

I disagree. Top down command systems are less efficient than decentralized system if the decentralized groups can really act independently. The actions of medical researchers in response to COVID-19 is quite something to behold.

Five Teen Entrepreneurs Have Become Leading Distributors Of PPE, And May Be Changing Supply Chain Management As A Result shows what can happen when people are free to jump in and help.

amorphous_constellation

Can you cite modern day USA examples of actual nationwide/political overzealotry?

Well, it's just the red / blue quadrant problem of trying to give stances authority. The libertarians would appeal instead to freedom, and perhaps ask that you decide what is right. So then, are political stances giving you information and letting you decide to follow it, or are they giving you information and telling you to follow it. Now I don't have the most faith in human nature, which is why I often discarded the libertarian position. But now I seem to see that they are better off handling freedom than great authority, for the latter is something they might corrupt more than they can corrupt the former, though they indeed can handle the former carelessly

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I disagree. Top down command systems are less efficient than decentralized system if the decentralized groups can really act independently. The actions of medical researchers in response to COVID-19 is quite something to behold.

Five Teen Entrepreneurs Have Become Leading Distributors Of PPE, And May Be Changing Supply Chain Management As A Result shows what can happen when people are free to jump in and help.
A powerful central government can do thing like order everyone
to wear masks, stay home, etc. A decentralized republic like
Ameristan cannot do that.
I'm not arguing that this is better...only that it holds the possibility
of addressing some things more efficiently. This would also
include oppression/tyranny.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Do you ever consider the size of the population and how that may interfere with your Libertarian utopia?
It seems the larger the population, the quicker Libertarian policies become ineffective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you ever consider the size of the population and how that may interfere with your Libertarian utopia?
It seems the larger the population, the quicker Libertarian policies become ineffective.
You use the label "Libertarian" without actually investigating any policies.
Moreover, your presumption of a "utopia" is pure mischief.
Some day, perhaps on a lark, you might attempt conversation.
It could be more fun than randomly lobbing pot shots.

tytlyf

Not Religious
You use the label "Libertarian" without actually investigating any policies.
Moreover, your presumption of a "utopia" is pure mischief.
Some day, perhaps on a lark, you might attempt conversation.
It could be more fun than randomly lobbing pot shots.
It is a difficult thing for a Republican Libertarian to fathom. I'd assume the police department would sit on their hands too unless you could afford it.
It just wouldn't work. And the fact that the biggest Libertarian advocates in America are corporatist crooks, it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would a billionaire want to live in such a society?
Unless they view it as free reign, no regulation, no safety laws, no oversight on corruption.
Libertarian Utopias would be rife with corruption. It just wouldn't work, sorry. There's a reason no one in America is interested.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Order, yes. Enforce? Well, China can of course because they are a totalitarian country. But we've seen anti-mask demonstrations and flouting of social distancing even in countries with a "powerful central government".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But we've seen anti-mask demonstrations and flouting of social distancing even in countries with a "powerful central government".
Note my earlier post....
"A powerful central government can do thing like
order everyone to wear masks, stay home, etc."
I've underlined an important part.

Tambourine

I'm a diabetic suffering from depression who gets paid by public services to teach unemployed migrants.
In a Libertarian society, I would either die or become a debt slave.

amorphous_constellation

I'm a diabetic suffering from depression who gets paid by public services to teach unemployed migrants.
In a Libertarian society, I would either die or become a debt slave.

If there are enough good people in a libertarian society, perhaps you would not. If we were living inside a libertarian overton window, there would be moral spectrum where one side would hopefully be dedicated toward helping you

Tambourine

If there are enough good people in a libertarian society, perhaps you would not. If we were living inside a libertarian overton window, there would be moral spectrum where one side would hopefully be dedicated toward helping you
So I'd have a third option, begging.

Yay!