• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Revoltingest's clever ploy!

Daemon Sophic

QUOTE="Revoltingest, post: 6775697, member: 22490"]Again?
Dang....I just did that somewhere.
Some examples....
- Cancel culture. Both sides, but isn’t this the Atlas Shrugged method?
- The Petty Offense Doctrine. Not familiar with this.
- Opposition to sex work (more than about economics). RW issue. Lefties just want safety for workers.
- Censorship. RW issue almost exclusively.
- Military draft. Definitely RW issue.
- The Crime Bill (3 strikes & all that). RW from beginning to end.
- Religious slogan on money. Who else but RW?
- Tax subsidies for religion. RW. Lefties want them taxed.
- Surveilling the poor's associations when receiving subsidized housing. Huh? Surveillance (especially of the poor) is usually a RW dream. But I’m not familiar with this issue.
t.[/Q

So it seems that you’re confused, because everything you listed are constructs of the Right.
I thought you were trying to cite issues from the left that you find to be constraining social freedoms. :shrug: But you really didn’t name any. :confused:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So it seems that you’re confused....
It only seems that way to you.
I responded to FH's request for elaboration on this post....
"The left isn't all that big on social freedom either.
But economic liberty seems the greater difference."
I disagree with your defense of the left, which ignores
positions of the Democratic Party, ie, the "left".
Watch what they do....not just what they say.
Even when they had power, they didn't eliminate draft
registration, they didn't expand it to women, they kept
religious subsidies, they kept the Petty Offense Doctrine,
they persecuted whistle blowers (especially Obama),
etc.
And you aren't even familiar with some of their infringements
on civil liberty. My confusion or your.....need to learn?

Oh, when using the quote feature, don't delete crucial
characters. I wasn't alerted to your post, & found it only
by happenstance.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Note to all: Read the Constitution and then take another look at the 2 major political parties.....does either side actually follow it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Note to all: Read the Constitution and then take another look at the 2 major political parties.....does either side actually follow it?
They follow tortured readings of it.
(Id est, they often choose to disobey it,
but will construct rationales for deviations.)

It's also made complex by different constitutional
philosophies...
- Strict Constructionism
- Originalist
- Living Document
- Ignore It When In Conflict With What Is Right

amorphous_constellation

So it seems that you’re confused, because everything you listed are constructs of the Right.

Then I'm not sure if you're paying attention to way in which, to my mind, the far-left has the potential to establish gravity in the general left. And that means that issues of freedom break the membrane between freedom and decree

Daemon Sophic

Then I'm not sure if you're paying attention to way in which, to my mind, the far-left has the potential to establish gravity in the general left. And that means that issues of freedom break the membrane between freedom and decree
Can you give examples wherein this has become a threat?

Heyo

Veteran Member
It seems you're arguing that Democrats aren't "left".
Yep.
o2c4m2clsna31.png

Heyo

Veteran Member
We're using different definitions of "left" then.
So we've reached the point that Democrats
& Republicans are both right wing?
There are two major parties in the US, the far right and the crazy right.

The democrats are left of the republicans. That doesn't mean they are left. When your Overton window cuts off most of the left side of the spectrum, those on the mid-right seem to be left.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are two major parties in the US, the far right and the crazy right.

The democrats are left of the republicans. That doesn't mean they are left. When your Overton window cuts off most of the left side of the spectrum, those on the mid-right seem to be left.
That runs counter to how things are normally discussed
in Ameristan. Many N Ameristanians here on RF use
the terms "left" & "right"....in the media, on RF, & IRL.
We each know (roughly) what the other means.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Many N Ameristanians here on RF use
the terms "left" & "right"....in the media, on RF, & IRL.
Correct. The radical far right, Fox, Breitbart, Rush, etc make the claim that "mainstream media is far left."
I always point out to these people that most news on TV (CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc) are not left wing, but moderate. The RW swindlers aren't interested in facts.
In reality, the Democratic party is not left wing in historical sense. But moderate.

It seems republicans don't understand that there are much much further left positions than Bernie. A lot further left. They don't take that into account. They just assume Bernie is the furthest left it can get.
We call those people "Low information voters."

Daemon Sophic

You don't see how idealism would discount freedoms?
Your statement was thus:
Then I'm not sure if you're paying attention to way in which, to my mind, the far-left has the potential to establish gravity in the general left. And that means that issues of freedom break the membrane between freedom and decree.”

Translation IMO = “I think that the far left is getting a larger foothold in the general left population. And that means that soon they will be ordering us to live by (yet to be named) leftist ideals. Oh the horror!”

To which I replied, “Examples please.”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The OP assertion proved that no matter how much he tries to deny it, he's clearly...

You guys are far far too authoritarian for my taste.
I know, I know....your way makes for an efficient society,
eg, central control are best at fighting pandemics.
But efficiency isn't everything. And it has a downside
when government works against us.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You guys are far far too authoritarian for my taste.
I know, I know....your way makes for an efficient society,
eg, central control are best at fighting pandemics.
But efficiency isn't everything. And it has a downside
when government works against us.
The current pandemic shows how true authoritarians are horrible at fighting the pandemic (outside of China). Trump, Bolsonaro and others are proving that every day.

There is an indirect relationship with the maturity of people and the need for rules. There would be no need for rules and fines for mask wearing, social distancing etc if people acted maturely and respected facts.

When a significant number of people could care less what happens to others, to the financial well being of the country and in fact anything but their immediate self-gratification, the need for government authority increases.

When the day comes that people are significantly more mature, I will automatically become a libertarian because people will be mindful of the consequences of their behavior and act accordingly. The need for rules and laws to enforce responsible behavior will have ended.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The current pandemic shows how true authoritarians are horrible at fighting the pandemic (outside of China). Trump, Bolsonaro and others are proving that every day.
Authoritarian regimes aren't guaranteed to be efficient.
But they can be more so than decentralized systems.
There is an indirect relationship with the maturity of people and the need for rules. There would be no need for rules and fines for mask wearing, social distancing etc if people acted maturely and respected facts.
96% of people are of below average maturity.
When a significant number of people could care less what happens to others, to the financial well being of the country and in fact anything but their immediate self-gratification, the need for government authority increases.

When the day comes that people are significantly more mature, I will automatically become a libertarian because people will be mindful of the consequences of their behavior and act accordingly. The need for rules and laws to enforce responsible behavior will have ended.
Even libertarians (most) allow that some government authority is useful.

amorphous_constellation

To which I replied, “Examples please.”

Yeah there is a certain far left wing pundit I am thinking of on youtube, but to name them discuss their many views would entail discussing a lot off-site material, and they probably aren't here to represent themselves. I'm pretty sure we are allowed to debate each other though, which is why I think we should go back to the question you quoted