• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurants now charging 30 dollars for a regular size pizza in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's the national average. And still yet, moving is not always feasible. Do you have any idea how expensive moving can be these days? Much less moving to get set up in a new apartment? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious if you have the slightest idea.
Yup. I was one of them to get ahead during the Recession, walked out of it a property owner and I sold it to fund moving from Indiana to California. So I was lucky that I was basically born during what would become an "inbetween" during the Recession and didn't have much of anything to lose but hadn't yet gained enough yet so that I was available for cheaper promotions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We are very capable and very good. We should have to rely on government handouts when we can do the job better than many of the wankers who are employed.
New shocking data highlights the autism employment gap
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has published new data that shows just 22% of autistic adults are in any kind of employment.
Employment Advice - from Ireland's Autism Charity - AsIAm.ie
According to the UN, 80% of autistic people worldwide are unemployed or underemployed.
Neurodiversity Is a Competitive Advantage
Nevertheless, the neurodiverse population remains a largely untapped talent pool. Unemployment runs as high as 80% (this figure includes people with more-severe disorders, who are not candidates for neurodiversity programs). When they are working, even highly capable neurodiverse people are often underemployed. Program participants told us story after story of how, despite having solid credentials, they had previously had to settle for the kinds of jobs many people leave behind in high school.
The advantages and challenges of neurodiversity employment in organizations | Journal of Management & Organization | Cambridge Core
The last decade has seen a remarkable opening of new job opportunities for people who are neurodiverse – a subset of the general population that historically has experienced un- and underemployment rates as high as 85–90%
Some people over-estimate their value, & under-estimate their being difficult. I’ve hired some of those by mistake.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You technically are not allowed to, I had thought. I cannot start a tribe, and go camp on yonder hill, hunting and foraging for food, and making campfires, etc. Not here. Maybe in some 'uncontacted' part of the world, you can. But I'm part of the 'contacted' world, where that kind of thing is quite off limits, I had thought
It can be done. I’ve run across some who make even the Amish
look “English”. But few choose it, and fewer still do it long.

Back in the 70s, I traveled by hitchhiking, slept under bridges,
and lived in an old pickup (moochdocking). That’s as off the
grid I ever got. One does what’s needed when in between jobs.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some people over-estimate their value, & under-estimate their being difficult. I’ve hired some of those by mistake.
When there's that much data to show the problem is that severe and widespread it is definitely not a case of over or under-estimating one's value and ability and skills.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Agree to disagree.
I don't feel like doing so as this is an issue of importance, and not just to me. This is a widespread problem, it's a severe issue, and it hurts everyone in the end. Go on about your own personal anecdotes all you want but stacks of data and research ranging across decades trumps your personal anecdotes. The facts are those with autism are well qualified, are good and skilled workers, but few of us obtain gainful and appropriate employment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't feel like doing so as this is an issue of importance, and not just to me. This is a widespread problem, it's a severe issue, and it hurts everyone in the end. Go on about your own personal anecdotes all you want but stacks of data and research ranging across decades trumps your personal anecdotes. The facts are those with autism are well qualified, are good and skilled workers, but few of us obtain gainful and appropriate employment.
You've not shown "stacks of data and research".
The other poster who claimed that, failed to prove
point that people cannot switch or advance in jobs,
only that many people feel "stuck".
People who just aren't willing to do what it takes
blame their plight on others, in this case, employers.
We aren't their parents.
It's government's job to provide what they need, eg,
counseling to overcome personal difficulties, teaching
trade skills, & assistance for the unemployable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You've not shown "stacks of data and research".
Do you want to me spend an hour or so posting links and citing books no one is going to read?
It's government's job to provide what they need, eg,
counseling to overcome personal difficulties, teaching
trade skills, & assistance for the unemployable.
When the system fails so many we shouldn't have to rely on the government to take care of things when it's clearly society that needs changed. Some companies have realized this and have ditched the interview and replaced it with a performance rubric that actually accesses skills. Normalizing that is a far greater solution than wholesale writing us off as a problem for the government to take care of.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I really have not. See, I've just got this thing called "empathy for others". You have zero clue how I work. Not that it matters, I just won't abide being called lazy from an arrogant assumption.
You're not improving your case.
Besides, can you do anything useful?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you want to me spend an hour or so posting links and citing books no one is going to read?
If you post anything, first ensure that it's not mere
bias confirmation. Find something that shows the
claim we've been arguing about, ie, that people
are in jobs with impossibility of advancing or
switching.
When the system fails so many we shouldn't have to rely on the government to take care of things when it's clearly society that needs changed. Some companies have realized this and have ditched the interview and replaced it with a performance rubric that actually accesses skills. Normalizing that is a far greater solution than wholesale writing us off as a problem for the government to take care of.
People who fail love to blame the system.
They should take the advice I gave earlier.
My advice to people who feel trapped in a bad job:
Grow up.
Ditch the excuses.
Plan.
Execute plan.
Celebrate.
As H Ford said...
Whether you think you can,
or think you can't, you're right.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
But this contradicts the capitalist agenda: gaining maximum return on capital invested. Paying for labor cuts into that return. So the labor must be exploited as much as possible, by whatever means available, and by whatever reasoning one can invent. And whenever possible, blame labor for that exploitation, so they won't blame it on the innate greed of the capitalist agenda.

I always smile when I hear the phrase "job creators". Employing people is an overhead to business, to be minimized as far as possible. It doesn't make them evil necessarily, but they are not knights in shining armor because they create jobs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you paying me for this?
R.de95dac0133853f128bcffbfebcdbbc1

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Thats about what I thought. So realistically, I don't owe you anything. Thankfully, you're not my employer. However what I will tell you is that our stats came in for the month, and only 270 people in the entire nation (and this is not a small company) are better at their job than me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thats about what I thought. So realistically, I don't owe you anything. Thankfully, you're not my employer. However what I will tell you is that our stats came in for the month, and only 270 people in the entire nation (and this is not a small company) are better at their job than me.
Correcting your spelling & grammar in that post
would make me too annoying to work for anyway.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I'll tell you all the story of my (work) life.

It started in England. I left school at 17, for reasons that had nothing to do with my abilities. If I had continued I would have been able to attend University with a grant from the local authority, and left with a degree and NO debt. [Note 1: Did you get that? No debt.]

I took a job at a local Insurance company. The starting pay was abysmal but it increased on a yearly basis, and by the time I would have wanted to start a family it would have been enough to get by. The company would have given me a low rate mortgage to enable me to get into the house market. [Note 2: Owning a house has pretty much guaranteed an steady increase in personal wealth. If you can't get on that first step, you're at a huge disadvantage.] The job had total security. Staying with the company guaranteed employment, a reasonable life style and a pension at retirement. [Note 3: There are no such jobs any more.]

I got fed up with the pure boredom and after a two year adventure in Australia, I took a job in London. Still in Insurance, but with a lot more pay, and nowhere near the cost of living there is now in such a big city. It had the security and benefits that I had before. I was around 23 as I remember. [Note 4: At that time, it was possible for a young guy with no University degree to get a job that was secure, would never make him rich, but provided a reasonable life style. Not any more.]

Then I got married and bought a house with the aid of the company. I was promoted to Head of Department. I was maybe 26. I did not do well in management and hated it. Then a miracle happened. I managed to get transferred to the small computer department (2 of us!). I discovered that I had a knack for programming and what's more I loved it! [Note 5: At the time it was possible to get into IT with no education qualifications (they didn't exist). Employers wanted experience, but wouldn't train people. I was lucky to get trained in that job.]

After a couple of years, they decided that they didn't need us as programmers any more and threatened to move me back into the regular departments. I stayed long enough to get another job, which I could do as I now had experience. I started earning serious money, which got much better when I moved into contracting. I was sensible enough not blow all my cash on luxuries and built up some savings, which grew over the years. [Note 6; If you don't have disposable income you can't save and if you don't save you can't invest and make your money grow.]

I continued on the same work path, always stayed in the house market, and at retirement, after two divorces and a move to the USA I live in a comfortable retirement and lack for nothing I want.

To sum up, a young man who left school with the equivalent of a High School degree, a good brain, and little help from his parents was able to, with a bit of luck, carve out a comfortable life and a secure retirement without ever taking risks or being seriously poor.

[Note 7: I would hate to be that young man today. He wouldn't have a hope, without a lot more luck than I had.]

Status
Not open for further replies.