• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurants now charging 30 dollars for a regular size pizza in NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I'd move.
Mmhmm. And if you cannot afford to move? As in you do not financially have or make enough to afford moving to a location that does have public transport. You know, breaking lease, paying for a new lease with the downpayment and the non-refundable application fee, first month's rent, and then of course having a vehicle to move?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Mmhmm. And if you cannot afford to move? As in you do not financially have or make enough to afford moving to a location that does have public transport. You know, breaking lease, paying for a new lease with the downpayment and the non-refundable application fee, first month's rent, and then of course having a vehicle to move?

All I know is that my granddaughter moved into a roommate situation that didn't require breaking a lease or other downpayment things. She was 20. She moved her things in her vehicle - which was given to her.

You do what you gotta do.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
All I know is that my granddaughter moved into a roommate situation that didn't require breaking a lease or other downpayment things. She was 20. She moved her things in her vehicle - which was given to her.

So she was given a vehicle; well, not everyone is that lucky. And if you can't buy a vehicle then you're [REDACTED] out of luck. Neither is it so common to be completely absolved of a downpayment - and everywhere that rents requires a downpayment - by your roommates, if you can even find roommates.

And what's more that's what your granddaughter did. Would you be able to do the exact same? If you were living paycheck-to-paycheck, would you be able to just up and move to find a better quality of life?

Kathryn

So she was given a vehicle; well, not everyone is that lucky. And if you can't buy a vehicle then you're [REDACTED] out of luck. Neither is it so common to be completely absolved of a downpayment - and everywhere that rents requires a downpayment - by your roommates, if you can even find roommates.

And what's more that's what your granddaughter did. Would you be able to do the exact same? If you were living paycheck-to-paycheck, would you be able to just up and move to find a better quality of life?

I have lived paycheck to paycheck for the record. And I was somehow able to put things together to MOVE to a location that was better. It took some time. It took some doing. But I did it. Now I'm too old. LOL

Like I said, you do what you gotta do.

By the way, the vehicle was old - I believe it is a 1995. So OLD. But it runs. That's what matters.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I told my story. Listen, I have been DIRT POOR before. DIRT POOR. And I'm not being terrible by the way.
No, you told your granddaughter's story. And you've been dirty poor... Congratulations, I have too! We'd have t-shirts but, you know...

I have lived paycheck to paycheck for the record. And I was somehow able to put things together to MOVE to a location that was better. It took some time. It took some doing. But I did it.
Uh huh, and what year was that? Was that any time prior to 1989 when you didn't have to worry about a FICO score? Was it prior to the 2000's when gas wasn't on average $3.50 a gallon and rent wasn't as high as it currently is?

Kathryn

Look, I'm not saying my granddaughter did everything right - in fact, she has made a lot of mistakes. But what I AM saying is that she was desperate and was still able to pull herself out of the hole she had dug, and she did it. Did people help her? Yes. Most people know someone who can help them somehow. Someone gave her a very old car (nearly 30 years old by the way - hey, no back up camera and I think it probably had a cassette player in it, and ashtrays). She was able to move into an extra bedroom that someone had available, and she began paying rent. This was AFTER she changed her major - again - a year from graduation. She actually said that she didn't understand why people were so upset with her and so focused on when she would graduate (24 or older - IF she graduated). She truly didn't seem to grasp that until she was independent, she was DEPENDENT on others.

Kathryn

No, you told your granddaughter's story. And you've been dirty poor... Congratulations, I have too! We'd have t-shirts but, you know...

Uh huh, and what year was that? Was that any time prior to 1989 when you didn't have to worry about a FICO score? Was it prior to the 2000's when gas wasn't on average $3.50 a gallon and rent wasn't as high as it currently is?

It was around the time that the minimum wage - which is what I made - was around $3 an hour.

Most places I know of - and I worked in the staffing industry for many years - have been paying part of the cost of healthcare for decades now, generally half of the cost for a full time employee.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Look, I'm not saying my granddaughter did everything right - in fact, she has made a lot of mistakes. But what I AM saying is that she was desperate and was still able to pull herself out of the hole she had dug, and she did it. Did people help her? Yes. Most people know someone who can help them somehow. Someone gave her a very old car (nearly 30 years old by the way - hey, no back up camera and I think it probably had a cassette player in it, and ashtrays). She was able to move into an extra bedroom that someone had available, and she began paying rent. This was AFTER she changed her major - again - a year from graduation. She actually said that she didn't understand why people were so upset with her and so focused on when she would graduate (24 or older - IF she graduated). She truly didn't seem to grasp that until she was independent, she was DEPENDENT on others.
And what I'm saying is that not everyone is your lucky granddaughter. Not everyone has a social net to fall back on, and even if they do have a great group of friends not everyone can just afford to take on an extra burden like that.

A lot of people rent these days. Did you know it's written into rental contracts that you cannot sublease, or just add people on to your lease? You can get evicted for doing that. And that's provided that you even have the room. What you and others fail to understand, recognize, and/or acknowledge is that for a vast number of Americans, it is not so easy to just move. It's absolutely not a matter of just rolling up your sleeves and ridding your thumb to greener pastures. There are baseline economic factors that must be met before such a change is even attempted, and the risk is total destitution. You can cross your arms and scoff about excuses and laziness, you can throw out anecdotes of "well my grandbaby did it!" but that does. not. change the facts of life for millions of Americans below or near the poverty line.

It was around the time that the minimum wage - which is what I made - was around $3 an hour.
Well, I don't mind breaking it to you that it's not the 80's anymore.

Kathryn

And let me tell you something else, Kilted Heathen. I was dirt poor, and I knew I had dug my own hole so to speak, and was determined to dig my way back out of it, and I did so. I shared an apartment with roommates. I eventually got married and my husband and I bought a beater car dirt cheap and lived in a very small town. We still couldn't make it financially, so he went into the military as an E-1. He eventually went to Officer Candidate School after going to night classes for years and years. I didn't have a college degree at all. I managed to work my way up and it wasn't easy. I worked any and every sort of job - day care, slinging burgers, you name it. I eventually was able to get my realtor's license (which still doesn't require a college degree in my state) by taking classes around working full time. Most of them were taken online. That was a turning point for me. Eventually I moved and began working at a bank in an entry level position but full time. When the manager's position came open, I applied for it and got it. Still no college degree. I don't have one today, in fact. Good thing about that is that I also don't have any debt. But that's OK, because the percentage of people with a bachelor's degree today is still around 36 percent. I believe it was around 34 percent when I was that age, so it hasn't changed much. And actually, the percentage of people who have a master's degree is significantly lower now than it has been in the past.
Educational attainment in the United States - Wikipedia

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
And let me tell you something else, Kilted Heathen.
Oh boy.

I was dirt poor, and I knew I had dug my own hole so to speak,
Yeah, you've said that before. And it's still anecdotal evidence, meaning it's about worthless to the discussion as not everyone is you, and this isn't 1980-whatever anymore.

We still couldn't make it financially, so he went into the military as an E-1.
Ah, well that solves a lot. Don't bother and save your breath; I grew up in a military family so I know first hand how much is granted for military dependents.

Good thing about that is that I also don't have any debt.
Oh clap clap clap! These days 80% of Americans are in debt. So, your experience here is not our experience. You're still just really not getting it.

Kathryn

And what I'm saying is that not everyone is your lucky granddaughter. Not everyone has a social net to fall back on, and even if they do have a great group of friends not everyone can just afford to take on an extra burden like that.

A lot of people rent these days. Did you know it's written into rental contracts that you cannot sublease, or just add people on to your lease? You can get evicted for doing that. And that's provided that you even have the room. What you and others fail to understand, recognize, and/or acknowledge is that for a vast number of Americans, it is not so easy to just move. It's absolutely not a matter of just rolling up your sleeves and ridding your thumb to greener pastures. There are baseline economic factors that must be met before such a change is even attempted, and the risk is total destitution. You can cross your arms and scoff about excuses and laziness, you can throw out anecdotes of "well my grandbaby did it!" but that does. not. change the facts of life for millions of Americans below or near the poverty line.

Well, I don't mind breaking it to you that it's not the 80's anymore.
Yeah, I know that. Hey, still alive here!

Oh, I also know how subleases are written - they've been written with those exclusions for years. I have never said "just move." But I HAVE said "move." I still think it's quite possible to do so but one has to be creative and think outside the box. One may have to forego lots and lots of things - one might have to drive a 28 year old car (I think my first car was about that age by the way).

I'm speaking generally. You are narrowing and narrowing the parameters with tons of "what ifs." Oh well, I have to get ready to go teach my class.

Kathryn

Oh boy.

Yeah, you've said that before. And it's still anecdotal evidence, meaning it's about worthless to the discussion as not everyone is you, and this isn't 1980-whatever anymore.

Ah, well that solves a lot. Don't bother and save your breath; I grew up in a military family so I know first hand how much is granted for military dependents.

Oh clap clap clap! These days 80% of Americans are in debt. So, your experience here is not our experience. You're still just really not getting it.
Getting it and buying into it are two different things altogether.

PureX

Veteran Member
I can't exactly copy/paste a book.

Autistics a functioning and capable. If you actually bothered to read what I did copy/paste you'd see this is qualified and capable. And when a group of well qualified and capable people consistently can't get suitable work or any at all it is a problem with the system.
Capitalists think it's the people's responsibility to serve the system, not the system's responsibility to serve the well being of the people. So those who the capitalists feel are not doing that to the system's satisfaction deserve to be 'left out' of the system's benefits. They are deemed not worthy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't exactly copy/paste a book.

Autistics a functioning and capable. If you actually bothered to read what I did copy/paste you'd see this is qualified and capable....
You're still addressing a different topic, ie, handicapped
people, but now with a mixed message that they're
employable, but with all sorts of problems. (And telling
me to just read a book isn't an argument...it's a waste
of time when it's not about what I'm addressing.)
Well, those problems get in the way of employability.

In short...
Tis about different topics we're not communicating.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Instead of quoting me, you're addressing
mistaken inferences based upon baggage.
It's not making a case for employment.
Adding to this post....
Making choices that don't advance one's pay & job
don't mean laziness.
Lacking ambition also doesn't mean laziness. If one
is happy at a particular job level, this isn't a problem.

Posters should avoid inferring criticism not expressly
made, & taking it very personally. Not everything is
a veiled attack.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

And this illustrates how so many people feel "stuck"
because they limit their imagination about how to
approach a problem.
Think outside the box, or live in that box, eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.