• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Ryan and McConnell back Russia vote hack probe

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Senior Republicans in Congress have said they will support further investigation of findings that Russian hackers meddled in the US election.

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell said any foreign intervention in the polls was unacceptable.

President-elect Donald Trump has repeatedly poured scorn on the claims, made by US intelligence.

The CIA concluded on Friday that Russia's motive was to help Mr Trump.

Mr McConnell and Mr Ryan said their respective intelligence committees would investigate the allegations.

"Any foreign breach of our cyber-security measures is disturbing and I strongly condemn any such efforts," Senator McConnell told reporters, adding that "the Russians are not our friends".
I think it needs to happen. This needs to be addressed but what is also important is that the outcome needs to be accepted across both sides of the aisle. Thoughts, ideas, criticisms?

Republicans Ryan and McConnell back Russia vote hack probe - BBC News

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
At least someone there has some sense.
I am, however, worried that if anything is revealed that has Trump impeached and removed from office, we're going to jump out of the boiling hot grease of the frying pan, straight through a napalm firestorm, and onto a bed of white glowing thermite if Pence become president. He civil rights record in Indiana is absolutely appalling, his science denying is terrifying (he did, after all, say smoking cigarettes won't kill you), and if he becomes president it will be high times for Conservatives as they destroy and attack Leftist values, including teaching evolution as science, family planning, LBGT rights, women's rights, and many other things.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I am, however, worried that if anything is revealed that has Trump impeached and removed from office, we're going to jump out of the boiling hot grease of the frying pan, straight through a napalm firestorm, and onto a bed of white glowing thermite if Pence become president. He civil rights record in Indiana is absolutely appalling, his science denying is terrifying (he did, after all, say smoking cigarettes won't kill you), and if he becomes president it will be high times for Conservatives as they destroy and attack Leftist values, including teaching evolution as science, family planning, LBGT rights, women's rights, and many other things.
It is an interesting discussion. If (big if) Trump was "elected" via fraud, does that nullify the election entirely? Or does it get passed to Pence and company?

Sultan Of Swing

They probably should resolve this. I am skeptical of what the CIA is actually claiming has exactly happened, and the evidence they've brought forward, but they likely need to look into this further.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It is an interesting discussion. If (big if) Trump was "elected" via fraud, does that nullify the election entirely? Or does it get passed to Pence and company?
I'm not sure. I don't even know if this has ever been a problem before. I assume Pence would get it, given the presidential order of succession, but under such circumstances I have no idea what they would do, or even if there is any precedence to examine.

Sultan Of Swing

I believe the electoral college would still vote on who is President.

If no one can command a majority, it would then go to the House of Representatives.

The Republicans would then either still put Trump through, or another Republican as President, quite possibly Pence.

Quetzal

Premium Member
They probably should resolve this. I am skeptical of what the CIA is actually claiming has exactly happened, and the evidence they've brought forward, but they likely need to look into this further.
Raises another interesting point. Would you accept what the CIA brings forward? (rhetorical, but feel free to answer :) ) I think I would, but would the America people? In other words, would the answer only by acceptable if it was the answer we want? I don't have answers. Only questions.

Sultan Of Swing

Raises another interesting point. Would you accept what the CIA brings forward? (rhetorical, but feel free to answer :) ) I think I would, but would the America people? In other words, would the answer only by acceptable if it was the answer we want? I don't have answers. Only questions.
That depends what the CIA is bringing forward. If they bring forward actual evidence, then yes I have to accept that.

If on the other hand they expect people to trust their authority, and make a big claim about some election-changing Russian intervention, that would be harder to accept without actual evidence other than "trust us, we're the CIA".

Quetzal

Premium Member
I believe the electoral college would still vote on who is President.

If no one can command a majority, it would then go to the House of Representatives.

The Republicans would then either still put Trump through, or another Republican as President, quite possibly Pence.
Right, but it would be Pence vs Clinton, right? This raises another big issue since many states are mandated to vote in the way their state voted. I suppose the outcome would still be the same? If Trump was all of a sudden out, would those who voted for Trump jump to Hillary instead of Pence? Not likely, I don't think.

Quetzal

Premium Member
That depends what the CIA is bringing forward. If they bring forward actual evidence, then yes I have to accept that.

If on the other hand they expect people to trust their authority, and make a big claim about some election-changing Russian intervention, that would be harder to accept without actual evidence other than "trust us, we're the CIA".
Fair enough, but what would the evidence look like? The next few weeks will be interesting for sure.

Sultan Of Swing

Right, but it would be Pence vs Clinton, right? This raises another big issue since many states are mandated to vote in the way their state voted. I suppose the outcome would still be the same? If Trump was all of a sudden out, would those who voted for Trump jump to Hillary instead of Pence? Not likely, I don't think.
I think there are enough free electors to nullify Trump's majority, in the case of outright and proven fraud. In which case it would then go to the House of Representatives. As the Republicans control this, they will elect a Republican President of their choosing. The most likely would have to be Pence.

Fair enough, but what would the evidence look like? The next few weeks will be interesting for sure.
I'm interested to see what exactly they're alleging Russia of doing.

I also wonder if anyone truly wants to stop Trump from becoming President, given the potential consequences. I may accept evidence but I'm not sure if others will. It could be seen as the corrupt establishment preventing the people's will. Could there be civil unrest? How far would Trump supporters be willing to go in protest? I don't think this is the direction we should be heading in.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think there are enough free electors to nullify Trump's majority, in the case of outright and proven fraud. In which case it would then go to the House of Representatives. As the Republicans control this, they will elect a Republican President of their choosing. The most likely would have to be Pence.
The thing is, under these circumstances, we don't know if it would go the House. It may go to the Supreme Court like it did in 2000. It may follow normal rules of succession.

esmith

Veteran Member

There is no way any case of fraud could be brought against President-elect Trump.
Does anyone believe that any investigation can subpoena the Russian government or even Putin.
First who released the hacked emails? It wasn't President-elect Trump. Therefore he had nothing to do with the information that was supplied by Wikileaks; he might have benefited from the revelations that were published in all of the MSM sources but that is all. If the people that vote are too stupid to figure things out then they shouldn't be voting.
I suggest anyone even considering a charge of fraud is possible is living in a fantasy world.

this suggested investigation by Congress is nothing more than a dog and pony show that will give the media something else to blather on about.
Congress doesn't need to be looking under the bed about whether the Russians had anything to do with how or where Wikileaks obtained the emails but what is going to be done to protect the U.S. from more damaging cyber-attacks against private companies, government agencies (federal and state), and the entire digital network.

Sultan Of Swing

The thing is, under these circumstances, we don't know if it would go the House. It may go to the Supreme Court like it did in 2000. It may follow normal rules of succession.
True, as far as I know there isn't a precedent. I wonder if the SC can call another election?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There is no way any case of fraud could be brought against President-elect Trump.
I wouldn't say "no way." And the question isn't of accusing Trump of fraud, it's accusing Russia of fraud, and what would happen if this is determined to have happened.
this suggested investigation by Congress is nothing more than a dog and pony show that will give the media something else to blather on about.
The Right are the ones who have been going on and on about election and voter fraud. But, when a serious concern of it comes up, how convenient of them to dismiss it. Trump himself should be leading the way for an investigation since he was so certain the election was rigged even before it happened. For the Right, it should be a big "A HA!! Told ya so!" moment, but rather it's become a moment of "eh...."
Here they have a chance to prove a position of theirs, but they aren't taking the initiative.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
True, as far as I know there isn't a precedent. I wonder if the SC can call another election?
The only thing I can say is that it raises some very serious issues, concerns, and questions that should be addressed regardless, should it ever actually happen in the future.

Sultan Of Swing

Like what?
The sentence that came right after that one, haha. The potential civil unrest and anger of voters who feel a corrupt establishment has prevented the people's will. (Yes yes I know about the popular vote, I'm just saying how it might be perceived and the potential consequence of that)