• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Have Taken the House!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
It's going to be pleasant to see the Republican base go after immigrants, minorities, and the poor now. I loves me a good lynching.

Geeze Phil :slap:

We got us a man down in Florida, (Marco Rubio) who is going to get alot of Hispanic support for the GOP.

As much as I hate to say this, The GOP will not address the immigrant issue because too many right wingers like cheap labor that does not complain. :yes:

Minorities? Look at the last two GOP secretaries of state. The head of the Republican party is a minority for God's sake! :sorry1:

The poor, you have a point, but some folks could be handed a million dollars and would be broke in less than a year. Poor life decisions just keep repeating themselves with some families. I believe the lack of appreciation for education and the glorification of the thug life is not helping any at all.

Some folks climb out of poverty, The first lady comes to mind. :clap

Mercy Not Sacrifice

41% of voters wanting to repeal the healthcare bill and voting Republican is significant. I did not say it was the only factor, but it was one, and one that hurt.

That 41% was the loud minority. That means that 59% of voters did NOT want healthcare reform repealed. Honest question, did you even read the link?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The problem here is assuming the American people don't want things like the healthcare reform. The main reason people would tell you at this point that they don't want the bill is because they don't know what's in it. The things that stick out in their minds are the things republicans have said about it. It goes back to my comments about republicans being very good at negative ad campaigns.

If people actually understood the situation and the bill that was passed, they wouldn't be against it in the numbers they are now.

I guess it just was not explained to us good enough. :facepalm:

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Smoke said:
Exactly. And frankly, the fact that Americans will come out in droves to vote for the Republicans because they want limited government and fiscal responsibility is the surest possible indicator that this country is too damned stupid to be saved.
I gave them a second, for me, chance :p If they act in the same way as the past I won't vote for them again.

MNS said:
That 41% was the loud minority.
People that vote are the onlys that get counted.

That means that 59% of voters did NOT want healthcare reform repealed. Honest question, did you even read the link?
Did you? 48% of voters wanted the whole shebang repealed, of those 11% voted Democrat anyways. (As opposed to 47% who liked it or wanted to expand it, of which 18% voted Republican). There are more people that wanted to just repeal the whole thing than liked it, and they more consistently voted with the group that wants to do just that.

I never said it was enough alone to explain the gains, many aspects went into that, but it did hurt them. If they had passed a better bill, or at least gave us time to digest this one, they would have had more success.

Wannabe Yogi

Geeze Phil :slap:

We got us a man down in Florida, (Marco Rubio) who is going to get alot of Hispanic support for the GOP.

I don't think so. Some are already mad at him due to the fact that he let people believe he was catholic and then turned out to be an evangelical. The Cubans are different then the Central Americans. They don't have the same issues.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I guess it just was not explained to us good enough. :facepalm:

Yes, you're right. It wasn't explained well enough. That's part of the problem, and that's a big reason democrats aren't doing well. They don't really fight back. The republicans say bad stuff about the things dems do, and the dems just try to appease people by denouncing what they just got done, instead of correcting the republicans' claims.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think the next two years are going to be interesting. Obama has historical trends in his favor, the Blue Dogs took a big hit, and the Republicans won't get anything done (which is definitely a good thing since millions are looking at getting health insurance and unemployment is still high).
Considering the American populace tends to be impatient, and I don't think they know what they want, in two years election outlooks are going to be very different than they was this year.

Skeptisch

The U.S. National Debt Clock counts intragovernmental debt, so the public debt of the United States is only 9.134 trillion USD (source: the Economist)

Wow, only 9000 billion.
We can always find a way to mask a problem but maybe we should admit spending a bit much of money that is partly borrowed.

Here is another way of looking at the US finances.
This is a list of countries and territories by current account balance (CAB), based on the International Monetary Fund data for 2007, obtained from the October 2008 World Economic Outlook database. Note, some of the high Current Account surpluses (esp. Japan & Germany) are on account of capital payments for past debts.
Rank
Country
CAB (billion US dollars)
Year
People's Republic of China
+296.2
Japan
+131.2
Germany
+109.7
Saudi Arabia
+95.762
Russia
+76.163
Iran
+70.797
Norway
+59.983
Netherlands
+52.522

Kuwait
+48.039

-

-
United Kingdom
−32.37
Australia
−33.31
Greece
−34.43
France
−43.67
Italy
−55.44
Spain
−69.46
United States
−380.1

tomato1236

Ninja Master
That's ok. We're in debt so we can have a big military and be a rich country. As long as we still look like we're awesome, that's what's really important.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yes, you're right. It wasn't explained well enough. That's part of the problem, and that's a big reason democrats aren't doing well. They don't really fight back. The republicans say bad stuff about the things dems do, and the dems just try to appease people by denouncing what they just got done, instead of correcting the republicans' claims.

I'm sorry, but that is a typical liberal elitist attitude. Republicans just need to be "corrected". Do you not see how condescending that really is?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I really think that "we" as a country have some hard choices ahead - and I don't mean about what $$ we cut from which programs.

We are going to need to come to some consensus about what the USA is, what kind of a country we want to be, and what it stands for and how we are going to move ahead in the world. I see huge disagreements about this, and the arguing over money and so forth are just symptoms of this underlying lack of consensus.

If we have lost the ability to achieve consensus on these questions, then I don't see much of a future for us as a nation.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I really think that "we" as a country have some hard choices ahead - and I don't mean about what $$ we cut from which programs.

We are going to need to come to some consensus about what the USA is, what kind of a country we want to be, and what it stands for and how we are going to move ahead in the world. I see huge disagreements about this, and the arguing over money and so forth are just symptoms of this underlying lack of consensus.

If we have lost the ability to achieve consensus on these questions, then I don't see much of a future for us as a nation.

I agree, we as a country are at a crossroads. IMHO we have put the cart before the horse. You cannot spend your way out of a recession. We have to get the economy back on track first and then address entitlements.

I'm a simple man, but instead of raising the debt ceiling, we need to cut ALL programs across the board till we have a balanced budget.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I'm sorry, but that is a typical liberal elitist attitude. Republicans just need to be "corrected". Do you not see how condescending that really is?

Calm down, Rick. He's right: Democrats did a poor job of controlling the damage caused by all the Republicans' lies: Death panels, the birther movement, a sudden resurgence of fear about the national debt, government takeover of health care, etc. Now, in their defense, the conservative media machine is a lot more powerful and organized than the liberals' counterpart, and they had to fight through that just to get to the conservative politicians.

I agree, we as a country are at a crossroads. IMHO we have put the cart before the horse. You cannot spend your way out of a recession. We have to get the economy back on track first and then address entitlements.

I'm a simple man, but instead of raising the debt ceiling, we need to cut ALL programs across the board till we have a balanced budget.

US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President.jpg

You do remember this, right? Notice anything different in the trends since Ford took office?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
WHAT? And do without? Are you insane, Rick? People are entitled to everything they have worked so hard for... even if the government (you) can no longer afford to give it to them...

hmmm...

wait a sec...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That Obama spends more like a Republican than a Democrat?
If you look at the trends, Roosevelt and Truman had the WWII debt, plus whatever went into the Manhattan Project, but it dropped during Truman's run, and continued to drop until the Neo-Con messiah Reagan started to increase it, a drop during Clinton's years, and then rampant spending during the Bush years which much of it did carry over into Obama's administration. And since Obama in terms of the economy is trying is similar approach to what Roosevelt had, I would say he is spending more the a Democrat.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Not for long. The credit card is going to be cut in half. The Federal Government is going to have their funding cut dramatically.
And then we will see which group of economists really understands what is going on.

If the economy picks up because of that we have one answer. If the economy tanks, it will be Obama's fault, right?