• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Repentance: What does it mean to you?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Repentance: this seems like a big issue, because I am sure that alot of abrahamic religions share this in common and that is "Sin" and how one can become cleansed from it.

Repentance to me and the LDS faith is:

1) Recognition of certain acts as Sins.
2) Godly sorrow for the action and a willingness to change and turn away from those Sins
3) Confessing of the sins to those whom have been offended
4) Apologizing to the offended and asking forgiveness from them (including God)
5) Reconciliation - replacing, or repairing whenever possible.

We also feel it is impossible to recieve forgiveness unless you forgive everyone who has offended you, wether or not they have apologized. Also, you cannot ask forgiveness for one sin, while still practicing another.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I don't believe in repentance. I believe in personal responsiblity.

Good point.I agree. The things that are considered sinful seem to be in constant flux. Contraception was once widely considered sinful in this country. How daft was that? Personal responsibility is a much better approach than repentance.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Good point.I agree. The things that are considered sinful seem to be in constant flux. Contraception was once widely considered sinful in this country. How daft was that? Personal responsibility is a much better approach than repentance.

In a world that is forever changing how can one person who died 2000 years ago save us from a sin that hadn't even been thought of yet.

I know it is odd to hear people say it now but it is every man/woman for his/her self. It isn't as easy on the mind because one is then forced to deal with the wrongs that they have done but then they might actually learn.

Contraception is a big thing in my book. I think that people need to realize that the earth can only handle so many people and when that quota is met people will start staving at an even faster rate then they already are. Sad but true. Sorry that was a separate rant....I'm big for pro-choice, and knowing what options there are and making the decision based on your thoughts not presure from the media or anyone else.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are many instances in which an apology cannot undo any damage done. In that case, the person must make amends. For example, If you steal from someone, then you should pay back whatever you stole--if the item is irreplaceable, then you must make a compromise with the person in what we be a fair restitution. If the person you stole from says s/he will forgive you without you paying him or her back, then it is also settled. That would be repentance.

Moey

Repentance to me means that you can do whatever it is that you want without punishment as long as you repent. Weather or not that is right is a topic for another day.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
in response to the personal responsibility, is that not these?

4) Apologizing to the offended and asking forgiveness from them
And an annex -
6) Willing to accept any form of punishment required.

Is that not taking responsibility for your own actions?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

And an annex -

Do you consider most people sinners?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Do you consider most people sinners?

It's not my place to judge people's sins. I know that my life is far from perfect, and that i correct myself every day, but i do not worry because i know that as long as i do all that i can do, then, i am saved.

"How can you say the door cannot be opened unless your knuckles are bloody, your head is bruised, and your muscles are sore, only then can you say it cannot be done"

maro

muslimah
repentance is to regret the doing ,and intend not to do it again for the sake of allah ,wishing his mercy and forgiveness

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hiya Madhatter85, I am in the personal responsibility camp as well.

"If thine eye offends thee, then pluck it out" seems to cover that nicely. I would be more inclined to discover why I was offended rather than expect an apology. Perhaps others might try this as well. The idea of confessing to those we offend is almost the definition of absurdity.

Not likely to happen in my books. More often than not, I offend simply to make my point as it can be used to rip the comfort blanket off of limited understanding.

I care nothing for reconciliation and in many cases consider it to be an utter waste of time. IF the person is WORTHY of my attentions, I will make an effort otherwise they can just rot for all I care.

Punishment -- from whom, exactly? If you say "god", do you have any proof to back this statement up or will you simply have the decency to admit that it is mere speculation and therefore not worth the paper it is perhaps written on.

In one context perhaps, but it is a spiritually barren way to look at reality, imho. My "god" knows me intimately, to the last particle of my being actually, and therefore it is highly unlikely that "he" will be sitting there with a big stick waiting to paddle my fanny when I get back home. As "he" already completely understands me, there is little likelihood that there will be much need for me to explain ANYTHING now is there!

Religious folks really need to think things through a bit better, lol.

:shrug: