• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Renewables Set to Overtake Coal by 2025

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'd include any incident wherein
they lost control of the reactor.
But my brief perusal of the list showed
1 more meltdown, & several more near
meltdowns. So that 1/10k statistic could
easily have been worse.
And I didn't even consider military reactor
disasters.
It's unlikely that we get (the usual) fission reactors again in Germany. Even if the ban gets lifted nobody will want to take the financial risk. It takes years to build them and it's at least 3 times more expensive to run them than renewables. One breakthrough in energy storage during the build time would make them dead in the water.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's unlikely that we get (the usual) fission reactors again in Germany. Even if the ban gets lifted nobody will want to take the financial risk. It takes years to build them and it's at least 3 times more expensive to run them than renewables. One breakthrough in energy storage during the build time would make them dead in the water.
If politically induced bad design designs happend
back in the day, then we're still vulnerable. Veto
power must be vested in someone able to see
unacceptable risk.
I could be OK with nuclear power. But only if
the design is reasonably safe, & the waste will
be handled properly.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If politically induced bad design designs happend
back in the day, then we're still vulnerable. Veto
power must be vested in someone able to see
unacceptable risk.
I could be OK with nuclear power. But only if
the design is reasonably safe, & the waste will
be handled properly.
I think nuclear power should be handled like any other business. Safety protocols, inspections, insurance and handling of waste deposit like we do for, e.g., chemical industry. But then, as I said, nobody will want to do it. Nuclear was never commercially viable without subsidies and relaxed standards (like no full cover insurance).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A new report from the International Energy Agency says that electricity generation from renewable sources should reach almost 42% of total generation by 2025, overtaking coal as the leading source of powergen. World’s renewable energy capacity grew at record pace in 2023

Renewable capacity jumped in 2023 by a record amount. Apparently China alone installed more renewable capacity last year than the whole world did the year before. About 3/4 of the new capacity is solar. There are also record rates of growth of renewables in Europe, the USA and Brazil.

So a good news story for a change, to cheer up people of my son's generation especially.

Still little to no progress on displacing gas for home heating, I'm afraid, but the decarbonisation of electricity is a vital enabler of that, of course.
Hah! Refuted by Trump!! Okay, before clicking on the video you need massive face palm protection. And a pillow to bite into will help:

One more: