• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Renewables Set to Overtake Coal by 2025

exchemist

Veteran Member
A new report from the International Energy Agency says that electricity generation from renewable sources should reach almost 42% of total generation by 2025, overtaking coal as the leading source of powergen. World’s renewable energy capacity grew at record pace in 2023

Renewable capacity jumped in 2023 by a record amount. Apparently China alone installed more renewable capacity last year than the whole world did the year before. About 3/4 of the new capacity is solar. There are also record rates of growth of renewables in Europe, the USA and Brazil.

So a good news story for a change, to cheer up people of my son's generation especially.

Still little to no progress on displacing gas for home heating, I'm afraid, but the decarbonisation of electricity is a vital enabler of that, of course.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Great news, indeed, and I think this trend will only grow as more and more corporations invest in renewable energy and decarbonization due to realizing that they're the most viable path forward.

I wonder how much nuclear power will play a part in the transition away from fossil fuels in the next decade or two. I guess we'll see.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A new report from the International Energy Agency says that electricity generation from renewable sources should reach almost 42% of total generation by 2025, overtaking coal as the leading source of powergen. World’s renewable energy capacity grew at record pace in 2023

Renewable capacity jumped in 2023 by a record amount. Apparently China alone installed more renewable capacity last year than the whole world did the year before. About 3/4 of the new capacity is solar. There are also record rates of growth of renewables in Europe, the USA and Brazil.

So a good news story for a change, to cheer up people of my son's generation especially.

Still little to no progress on displacing gas for home heating, I'm afraid, but the decarbonisation of electricity is a vital enabler of that, of course.
Heating systems last decades, so there'll be no
rapid change. And replacing a heating system
with the best alternatives, eg, mini splits, ground
source heat pumps, is typically far spendier than
direct replacement of the type in use.
They'll come on line with new construction &
major remodels.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Great news, indeed, and I think this trend will only grow as more and more corporations invest in renewable energy and decarbonization due to realizing that they're the most viable path forward.

I wonder how much nuclear power will play a part in the transition away from fossil fuels in the next decade or two. I guess we'll see.
We will need a proportion of nuclear, I think, because the variability of output from renewables will eventually limit the proportion of generation we can accept from them. Once you are over 50% renewables you can be in trouble if you get prolonged spells of cloudy, still weather (what the European industry calls dunkelflaute), or there is a volcanic eruption that reduces solar intensity. I suspect too that countries will keep some fossil fuel capacity, probably gas turbines, as a backup for such eventualities. But that's OK so long as they are not run for base load.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

If you want nuclear power, you need to make me the
nuke czar. I've seen too many bad mistakes...obvious
(at the design phase) engineering failures over the years.
Someone experienced in failure analysis must be in a
position to veto a bad design.
I nominate myself.
Who'll second me?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Yeah I'm sure it's going to be reflected in people's pending lower energy bills. That is lower bills not higher bills right?

Twilight Hue

If you want nuclear power, you need to make me the
nuke czar. I've seen too many bad mistakes...obvious
(at the design phase) engineering failures over the years.
Someone experienced in failure analysis must be in a
position to veto a bad design.
I nominate myself.
Who'll second me?
When was the last nucular mistake?

wellwisher

Yeah I'm sure it's going to be reflected in people's pending lower energy bills. That is lower bills not higher bills right?
This is not an organic result but fully artificial. Renewables are supplemented while coal is regulated; rigged smoke and mirrors. How is it possible that China and Indian still produces the most CO2 from coal, with that number not falling? The renewables China makes is for sale to the boneheads. It is double counted.

Electric cars in the US are artificially cost effective, due to large Government subsidies both at purchase and free charging. This is not real world costs but a lure. Once Trump wins and gets rid of the cheat, the free market will make a correction. Biden had $billions earmarked for charging stations; two years ago, but not a single charging station has been built. US auto manufacturers are pulling back on electric due to weak demand. The rich are saturated, and the poor cannot shop at that supplemented price point, especially with the Biden Inflation.

This is all a rip off scam to harm the middle class, who will not be able to afford the change, and will be treated as global criminals, thereby making the world composed of the rich with their poor indentured serfs, all without a middle class.

I feel sorry for poor countries who will are not allowed to follow an organic path of growth to build sophistication or time. They will be required to jump over the organic path and grow in a way that excludes most people. Soon the poor natives in the rain forest, will not be able to use a wood fire to cook, but will need to get electric hot plates or be sent to jail. This is the Fascist future that needs to be stopped.

Climate change is being caused by activity in the inner earth. Heat seepage along crustal boundaries are adding heat. Warm water floats on cold water, so atmospheric heating of the oceans does not sink that easily. However, heat from below will rise due to density differences and convection so less heat can impact more water.

We can do an experiment, where we have two insulated cylinders of ocean water. We will heat the top for one and the bottom of the other; same watts, to see which heats to uniformly, first.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Don't want to answer the question . Of course.

That's OK. Speaks for itself on the safety front.

The last major incident happened in 2011.
If even the japanese, who are known for obeying rules, can't be trusted to run a nuclear powerplant without a major incident, then I trust no one to do it.

Twilight Hue

If even the japanese, who are known for obeying rules, can't be trusted to run a nuclear powerplant without a major incident, then I trust no one to do it.
It would be due to the natural disaster in this case, earthquakes and tusamis involving Fukushima.

At least you did some education and researched on the matter, and in terms of keeping it as safe as possible, which I think can be done as time progresses. Still, I think nuclear technology these days is reasonably safe.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Even that incident did not lead to any direct loss of life, bad though it was. The safety record of nuclear (or "nucular", if you're going for the all-American higgerance prize:laughing: ) power is in fact remarkably good.

In any event I believe we have no choice. Nuclear power has to be part of the powergen mix.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
It would be due to the natural disaster in this case, earthquakes and tusamis involving Fukushima.

At least you did some education and researched on the matter, and in terms of keeping it as safe as possible, which I think can be done as time progresses. Still, I think nuclear technology these days is reasonably safe.

Earthquakes happen very often in Japan. If the japanese didn't properly prepare for that I don't expect anyone else to do a better job. Now imagine unforeseeable circumstances. It is not a matter of 'if' a nuclear disaster will happen but 'when'. I have absolutely zero interest in nuclear powerplants because of this.

Twilight Hue

Earthquakes happen very often in Japan. If the japanese didn't properly prepare for that I don't expect anyone else to do a better job. Now imagine unforeseeable circumstances. It is not a matter of 'if' a nuclear disaster will happen but 'when'. I have absolutely zero interest in nuclear powerplants because of this.
Well coming from Japan it wasn't all that bad from a nuclear standpoint , and of course it's always logical to put nuclear plants in areas that do not have such reputations for natural disasters and to develop proper contingencies if disasters do happen.

At the end of the day it's still energy and all energy is dangerous if not handled properly.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm only surprised you have not tried to drag this down to the price of gasoleen, to put in yer trerk. That's what the complacent numskulls I used to encounter in Houston would do. :laughing:

More seriously, this is to do with the cost of food, insurance, fire and flood protection, insulation and utility bills - and the defence budget - for your children and grandchildren.

exchemist

Veteran Member
But in most of the world there is no actual need to build these plants in earthquake zones, surely?

Twilight Hue

I'm only surprised you have not tried to drag this down to the price of gasoleen, to put in yer trerk. That's what the complacent numskulls I used to encounter in Houston would do. :laughing:

More seriously, this is to do with the cost of food, insurance, fire and flood protection, insulation and utility bills - and the defence budget - for your children and grandchildren.
I think most people want cheaper easier lives rather than more difficult more expensive ones. It's really what the bottom line is.