• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remembering Apollo I - Memorial

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
50 years ago on this date, 3 US astronauts lost their lives due to an electrical fire. They were seated inside the Command Module of Apollo I, when the fire broke out. The oxygen rich environment and nylon material inside the CM fueled the fire. The astronauts could not escape through the hatch due to the internal pressure sealing it. Oddly enough, the date of 1-27-1967 was also on a Friday.

Those astronauts were: Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Edward White II, and Roger Chaffee.

apollo1.jpg

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow... 8 hours later and not a single reply. Come on @Quetzal, show a little love!
I'd heard about it.
What interested me was the appalling lack of attention to safety in the design of their capsule.
This changed everything, eg, doors which open out instead of in, a less than 100% oxygen air supply.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
It was a tragedy. In regards to this place, on weekends I am rarely around.

Same here. I was just surprised that no one said anything at all. It's as if the modern world doesn't give two flips about what came before.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Same here. I was just surprised that no one said anything at all. It's as if the modern world doesn't give two flips about what came before.
Apollo 1 is the disaster very few people know about, that is true. Sorry I missed it until now.