• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember when Prop 8 backers said they wouldn't target existing marriages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax

They lied.

What a shocker.

Typical homophobic paranoia and mental hate. Prop 8 should never have been brought to the ballot anyways. There was too much room for electoral fraud and intimidation, and I am sure that Christian fundamentalist agitators knew this (thus the reason why it was taken to the ballot in the 1st place) It should have been settled diplomatically in the halls of California's legislature.

The majority should never be able to dictate the will of the minority. It is in fact incumbent on the majority to protect the rights of the minority. To help them to give them what they need to achieve equality.

Here we have an interesting little character known as the Homophobe. The Homophobe wants us to think of him as a do-gooder. Keep in mind, though, that he wants to "do good" at the expense of other people's lives. If the Homophobe really wanted to be a do-gooder, he could start by admitting that we can no longer afford to do nothing about his lazy tactics. Instead, we must strike while the iron is hot and replace today's chaos and lack of vision with order and a supreme sense of purpose.

To put a little finer edge on the concept, the Homophobe's list of sins is long and each one deserves more space than I have here. Therefore, rather than describe each one individually, I'll summarize by stating that his idiotic claim that courtesy and manners don't count for anything is just that, an idiotic claim. The purpose of this deception may be to fill the air with recrimination and rancor. Or maybe the purpose is to damage the self esteem and mental health of millions of young men and women.

The Homophobe ignores the most basic ground rule of debate. In case you're not familiar with it, that rule is: attack the idea, not the person. This may be a foregone conclusion, but I'm not very conversant with his background. To be quite frank, I don't care to be. I already know enough to state with confidence that the Homophobe has been trying hard to protect what has become a lucrative racket for him. Unfortunately, that lucrative racket has a hard-to-overlook consequence: it will shatter and ultimately destroy our most precious possessions some day. Perhaps I'm reading too much into his double standards, but they don't seem to serve any purpose other than to strap us down with a network of rules and regulations. This probably does not affect your daily life, but it is a fact.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
You're getting creeped out because all you're reading is that I think it's OK for a society to put people to death under certain circumstances that you don't agree with. You're not looking at my whole argument.
Well, I don't want to assume what you personally think is OK, but yes, you are correct...I am fixated on the death-penalty-for-being-gay part. That it's even an option is hard for me to get past.

I don't mean to derail either the thread or your point.

KatNotKathy

Btw, any legal buffs able to help me out with a question? As I understand it (could be wrong), this is taking place in a 9th circuit court. Wouldn't that mean the ruling would also apply to pretty much the entire western US and even Arizona (lol)?

Because that would be awesome.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am honestly fed up over this whole issue. Tired of our rights being put on the back burner, except when a politician wants our support in an election. When the government actually does something for the civil rights of gays and lesbians, then I'll care about politics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Btw, any legal buffs able to help me out with a question? As I understand it (could be wrong), this is taking place in a 9th circuit court. Wouldn't that mean the ruling would also apply to pretty much the entire western US and even Arizona (lol)?

Because that would be awesome.
Depends on how the court phrases its decision. If the decision deals specifically with the interaction between California law and the Constitution, then it doesn't necessarily have any impact outside California. If it's phrased in terms of larger general principles that flow from the Constitution, then it could have the potential to affect things beyond California.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If I broke the standards of the community I lived in, I would accept the punishment. Part of being a good citizen is accepting the legal consequences of my actions when I knew the consequences before I did the act and did it anyways.

Ghandi
Nelson Mandela
Rosa Parks
Tiananmen Square
Thich Quang Duc (the Vietnamese monk of self-immolated in protest of the Vietnam War in 1963)
Cracking the Berlin Wall in 1989......

All due to citizens deciding that being "good citizens" in the communities they lived in were diametrically opposed to their inner moral integrity. Out of curiosity, have you read or heard of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
If society wants to kill us because getting piercings and tattoos isn't fully accepted yet, would that too be ok?
Sure. The Knight has just argued that if you agree with such retribution (by the very act of living in a society that feels that way), then that society should absolutely have the right to put you to death.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I think a community has the right to impose a death penalty on those who actively and purposefully act against the standards of the community if the person does the acts within the community and refuses to do them in private or outside of the community.
Excellent. Then I'm sure you are completely understanding of why Hitler was perfectly right and moral when he rounded up and killed 6 million Jews. Being Jewish yourself, I'm sure you can agree that, since the German people voted Hitler into office, and further swore an oath to him, that he would have your full support.

Everyone has standards.
After reading your posts to this point, I don't think you do. At least, not "standards" as the vast majority of people understand and use the term.

You draw a line at race, religion, and sexual orientation as far as what can be enforced as a standard. I don't.
Just so. Again, based on your stated positions, I'm sure that as a Jew, you are fully in support of Hitler's actions. I just wanted to make sure that the rest of us understand you.

If you can make a good argument as to why a community of like-minded people shouldn't be able to make standards based on race, religion, or sexuality for their community and enforce those standards then please do so.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll just offer Hitler and the Nazis as a prime example. And just to be sure you don't simply slough this off - please keep in mind that it did actually happen. For the very reasons that you are espousing.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I prefer not to let things like faulty emotional appeals have a part in my logical decision making process.
You flatter yourself. There is nothing logical about your position on this issue.

OK, let me make it clear. I am not saying that it is OK to simply kill those who go against society's norms. What I am saying is that I don't see a problem with that as a last resort.
Excellent. The sanctioned murder is okay, as long as the majority have at least waited until they feel exasperated.

I do believe the person would have the right to fight against the society with force if they felt it necessary.
Mighty big of you.

I wasn't talking to you. And in his example he said they all agreed, which implies that the women did too. Otherwise they didn't all agree. And women usually tend to outnumber men. Which is why I asked for clarification.
No. You asked as an attempt to deflect the question.

If what you're doing is seeking to provide clarification, then with the parameters you offered I believe the women would have the 4 options I offered above.
Great. Then that hypothetical town should have the right to kill their women.
Normally I wouldn't think I'd have to point out the total absurdity of that position ...

You're getting creeped out because all you're reading is that I think it's OK for a society to put people to death under certain circumstances that you don't agree with. You're not looking at my whole argument.
Sure we are. And your argument (in toto) is utter rubbish. At this point, I can't tell if you're really this bereft of understanding and compassion, or if you have simply painted yourself into a corner and refuse to acknowledge just how pathetic it is.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
If I broke the standards of the community I lived in, I would accept the punishment. Part of being a good citizen is accepting the legal consequences of my actions when I knew the consequences before I did the act and did it anyways.
Odd, that. I had you pegged as being firmly in the camp of those that would fight back.

Meek submission, huh?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Interesting. So if you lived in a society that considered Judaism and those who adhere to Noahide laws as being the cause for all their problems, would you submit to the segregated living conditions? Or the concentration camps? Perhaps you would willingly walk into the gas chamber?

Or, knowing the consequences, would you refrain from practicing your religious beliefs, even in private?

Or would you fight the unjust laws of your government. Risking your life for the lives of others?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Or would you fight the unjust laws of your government. Risking your life for the lives of others?
No need to ask that last question, Tumbleweed. The Knight has already told us that, as a good citizen, he would "accept the legal consequences ...".

By his own words, we can clearly see that he would renounce his religion, turn in his family members that didn't have the decency to adhere to the laws of the democratically elected Third Reich, move him and his family into the Warsaw ghetto, and then, when his turn came, take his wife and children down to the railyard to board the train to Auschwitz.

Nope - you'd get no argument from The Knight. Remember - he's proud to wear that "Proud Libertarian" badge on his lapel. And more importantly, he KNOWS that the eugenics program run by the Nazis were the right thing to do. Heck - they were in the majority, weren't they?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Yeah, those stupid Jews should have never been so Jewish in 1930s-era Germany. The holocaust was totally justified, well done.

See, those jews, gays, and romani should have all just been good citizens and accepted genocide.

I am all for the right of the Jews of that time to fight back against their oppressors with violence.

The problem is that you're saying that, even as a last resort, it's OK to use the death penalty for people who participate in homosexual acts. It's simply not OK to do that at all. I understand your point about living within the rules of the society you're in, and that's fine if you're not talking about something inherent like sexuality, race, ethnicity or gender. If a rule is no public displays of affection by anyone, that's one thing, but to say that you just can't be gay, that's just not an acceptable rule.
I'm not saying the society has the right to simply slay anyone it doesn't like. I'm saying that if a group of people want a certain thing as a standard of governance, they have a right (as a community) to put down those who publicly blatantly ignore those standards. I'm not saying they should seek out gays and kill them. But if a gay person is discovered, and the society tells the person they cannot participate in homosexual sex acts, and the person does it anyways and makes it known that they do, then I see no problem with the society (as a way of enforcing its standards) putting that person to death.

If there's a law, and you break the law and the government warns you not to do it, and you continue to do it publicly. Then I think the government has the right to expel you or (if necessary) put you to death.

Well, I don't want to assume what you personally think is OK, but yes, you are correct...I am fixated on the death-penalty-for-being-gay part. That it's even an option is hard for me to get past.

I don't mean to derail either the thread or your point.

To put it simply, I believe that a society has the right to impose the death penalty on those who blatantly break the laws of that society. I do not believe that something like participating in homosexual acts is free from that. No action is free from that. I value the rule of the law above a person's freedom to do what they want.

Granted, I also recognize that the rule of the law is only just if it is the majority opinion. A minority of dictators making such laws would be unjust.

All due to citizens deciding that being "good citizens" in the communities they lived in were diametrically opposed to their inner moral integrity. Out of curiosity, have you read or heard of Thoreau's Civil Disobedience?

I have not read Thoreau's Civil Disobedience.

Sure. The Knight has just argued that if you agree with such retribution (by the very act of living in a society that feels that way), then that society should absolutely have the right to put you to death.

You could always leave. My point is that if you know a law prohibits you from doing a certain action, and you really want to do that action (but you know it's illegal), go somewhere that the action isn't prohibited. Or, fight against the society that prohibits you from doing it.

However, if you decide to fight, recognize that the society has the right to defend itself and its values at the cost of your life.

If I were gay, and wanted to live happily with my partner in a marital relationship. I wouldn't do it in America. Pure and simple. I don't know why anyone would want to live amidst a culture and society of idiotic people that can't get past the fact that you love the same sex.

Would I fight against it? Sure, if I couldn't go anywhere else. But if I could leave...well, I would. America's not the best place in the world to live. And it's not the only place in the world to live.

Excellent. Then I'm sure you are completely understanding of why Hitler was perfectly right and moral when he rounded up and killed 6 million Jews. Being Jewish yourself, I'm sure you can agree that, since the German people voted Hitler into office, and further swore an oath to him, that he would have your full support.
No. He wouldn't. I believe a government has the right to apply and enforce any standard it chooses. And I believe an individual has a right to fight for change in a government by any means necessary.

I believe in both equally.

Whether or not I would support the government, or the people resisting the government depends on the issue.

There are certain things, that if our government decided to do, I would revolt with every fiber of my being.
After reading your posts to this point, I don't think you do. At least, not "standards" as the vast majority of people understand and use the term.
Only because you confuse my political opinion on how governments should operate with my personal opinion on the matter. As I said before, I support gay marriage (I didn't up until recently, but I have been better educated on the matter). I simply recognize that if a state like California wants to make it illegal because the majority of the people here don't want it here, they have the right to do so.

I don't think we should simply ignore the fact that the majority don't want it just because the minority feels bad about it not being here.

Just so. Again, based on your stated positions, I'm sure that as a Jew, you are fully in support of Hitler's actions. I just wanted to make sure that the rest of us understand you.
I, personally, would not support Hitler's actions (BTW, I'm not a Jew. A Jew is a member of the Jewish people by blood. I believe in the Jewish religion. If it helps, you can say that as an African-American). But I would support his right, as the government acting on behalf of the people, to do what he did.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll just offer Hitler and the Nazis as a prime example. And just to be sure you don't simply slough this off - please keep in mind that it did actually happen. For the very reasons that you are espousing.
How is this an example of why a majority shouldn't have the right to apply and enforce standards? Because it was tragic? So just because they disagree with your position that innocent life is valuable, they lose their right to participate in the decision making process of a society?

No. You asked as an attempt to deflect the question.
I asked for more information on the scenario. I don't see how that is an attempt to deflect the question.

Great. Then that hypothetical town should have the right to kill their women.
Normally I wouldn't think I'd have to point out the total absurdity of that position ...
What is the absurdity of that? Why is it so absurd to hold the position that a government can apply standards and enforce them?

A government's right to apply and enforce a standard doesn't go away simply because some people don't like the standards it chooses.

Odd, that. I had you pegged as being firmly in the camp of those that would fight back.

Meek submission, huh?

Depends on the issue. In some cases I would fight for the government's right to enforce a standard. In other cases I would fight with the people resisting the government.

It all depends.

Better just lay down if the majority decides to stomp all over your rights.

That's up to the individual.

Interesting. So if you lived in a society that considered Judaism and those who adhere to Noahide laws as being the cause for all their problems, would you submit to the segregated living conditions? Or the concentration camps? Perhaps you would willingly walk into the gas chamber?

Or, knowing the consequences, would you refrain from practicing your religious beliefs, even in private?

First, I would try to educate the society on how Noahides and Judaism aren't the cause of their problems.

If that didn't work, I would seek compromise for the sake of peace.

If that still didn't work, and the government was set in its position, then I would fight with violence to make change.

However, at no point would I say that the government lost it's right to enforce that standard.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You go right ahead then. Me, I am going to continue to proudly live in a way that society can hate me all they want for. My mom about blew up when she found out I have a tattoo and piercing, and society tends to frown on that. Being a Luciferian is a mega no-no. And being transsexual comes with alot of social repercussions. Now for the latter of the two, do you honestly think I should be killed for it? There is alot of hatred towards, well, anything other than Christians. Should the murders of non-Christians have been justified? And what of violence towards the GLBT community? Are the beatings and murders also justifiable?

KatNotKathy

So whatever happened to being a good citizen and accepting your punishment. Is it different this time because you're the one affected?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
they have a right (as a community) to put down those who publicly blatantly ignore those standards.
And I am glad you aren't in charge. I would have been dead many times over. I am glad that here there isn't a right to put down people who are different. It would be such a dreadful, awful, and very boring place to live if everyone had to live in accordance to societies standards under penalty of death.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
First, I would try to educate the society on how Noahides and Judaism aren't the cause of their problems.

If that didn't work, I would seek compromise for the sake of peace.

If that still didn't work, and the government was set in its position, then I would fight with violence to make change.

However, at no point would I say that the government lost it's right to enforce that standard.

Sorry, but by fighting with violence for change (revolution), you are in effect stripping the government of it's right to enforce it's set standard.

You cannot have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.