• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious views on abortion

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
actually I do not.
Regardless of how many spirits there can or cannot be inside a human's body... before and after Jesus casts out spirits from people they're fully human.

this is getting personal, please stop it.

The question of whether unborns are human beings... is independent from the question what's more important (spirit or body).
I'm here to discuss the former.
you believe the ego is more important. the self, the ego, isn't unless you are service to self.

so you keep telling me what you believe and i keep telling you what the bible says and you keep telling me what "you" are doing and believing. you don't even offer scripture.

there is no scripture based on your belief about unborn fetuses. there is scripture based on living humans

a fetus is not a human. the bible doesn't describe the fruit of the womb as a living being until it comes forth from the void

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
I don't believe anything with regard to the ego, as you put it.
i keep telling you what the bible says [...].
a fetus is not a human. the bible doesn't describe the fruit of the womb as a living being until it comes forth from the void
the onus is on you when you say that the unborn is not a human - you couldn't show your point. Neither by scripture nor by anything else. Just citing some scripture that mention words like "soul" and "spirit"... does not mean these back your specific point.
Of course: verses about soul and spirit are numerous. Not one from among these actually tells your story, though.

I could back my point up using scripture, see #29.

EDITED

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I don't believe anything with regard to the ego, as you put it.

the onus is on you when you say that the unborn is not a human - you couldn't show your point.

I could back my point up using scripture, see #29.
i did using scripture. you just kept posting what you believed

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
Please note I edited my last post in the meantime.
i did using scripture.
so I show you the last scripture that you showed
jesus said the spirit was more important than the body.

matthew 5:13
matthew 18:8
mark 9:43k
these do not show your point. These are just some verses mentioning "spirit".
So your last verses did not show your point. The other ones did not either. If you keep claiming otherwise: be specific and point out which scirpture you cited proves your point.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
i did using scripture. you just kept posting what you believed
older is based on which one comes from the womb first.

how do you suppose that rebekah knew which one god was talking about until the first one came out and then the 2nd?

you're trying to make something complicated; when it isn't.

no one goes up to heaven except the one who comes downk

ecclesiastes 12:7

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Please note I edited my last post in the meantime.

so I show you the last scripture that you showed

these do not show your point. These are just some verses mentioning "spirit".
So your last verses did not show your point. The other ones did not either. If you keep claiming otherwise: be specific and point out which scirpture you cited proves your point.

a living being has a spirit

a body doesn't necessarily have a spirit

a spirit doesn't necessarily occupy a body

two spirits in one body is a no no

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I was thinking from the other thread-to religious people only (which doesn't mean you have to believe in god)-what does your religious practice, tradition, scripture, "so have you" say about the value of life in relation to abortion?

In non-scripture focused religions, does your decision about abortion stim from morality you picked up in your practice, a societal law you agree with (if for or against), what are your standards that help you decide either way?

This is to those who do have an "either/or" scenario-justifications are fine but the justifications need to be backed up with reason(s) based on your practice or faith.

Those not religious, I can tell by the other thread what many of you believe... so...
I used to be pro-choice but since yielding to the Lordship of Jesus my position is pro-life.

By and large, for Christians, it is that we just the adopt the position of sanctity of life. Obviously, there is the natural abortion of a baby for reasons unknown. Then there is the position of safety where we try to save both mother and baby - or one of the two. (There have been occasions where mothers have opted for saving of the baby at the expense of their own lives.)

A fallopian pregnancy is one of such situations where most likely both mother and child will die if nothing is done.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I don't see them differently. A murderer's consequence is from his own actions not (morally) from actions of others. I would assume in a christian view, capitol punishment is playing god. Abortion is on the opposite side of the coin. A child coming into being alive and full body person shouldn't (too) die because of someone else's intentions. Of course there are legal and medical justifications for both scenarios, but they both share a theme that an outside party is "playing god" (or controlling the course of nature) by punishing or relieving someone of their life whether the guilty or fetus coming into being.

Huh? It's the opposite of playing God to obey God's command for capital punishment.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Except that we do not call child a bunch of replicating cells that would require a microbiologist to differentiate from an amoeba.

And most Christians here abhor the death penalty.

Ciao

- viole

You are including the 35% of American abortions that occur after eight weeks of gestation?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You do know it is illegal to kill children, right?
You also know that skeptics do not condone the killing of children, right?
Even if said children make fun of a priest....

Yes, no pro-choice person wants to kill a child, they rather disagree on when a fetus is a baby, yes.

Which is why I call on every RF skeptic to STRONGLY, IMMEDIATELY protest late-term abortion. You do so, yes?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You are including the 35% of American abortions that occur after eight weeks of gestation?
Nope, I am checking if abortion is wrong per se, or it is just a question of how developed the foetus is. Since you guys like to show little foetuses puppies looking like babies, and not a picture with a bunch of cells, at your rallies, I guess it is the latter.

Correct?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, no pro-choice person wants to kill a child, they rather disagree on when a fetus is a baby, yes.

Which is why I call on every RF skeptic to STRONGLY, IMMEDIATELY protest late-term abortion. You do so, yes?
Late abortion? What is late for you?
In Sweden, for instance, it is after the 18th week (before that, termination can be carried out if the woman wants to for whatever reason). And that looks sensible.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I used to be pro-choice but since yielding to the Lordship of Jesus my position is pro-life.

By and large, for Christians, it is that we just the adopt the position of sanctity of life. Obviously, there is the natural abortion of a baby for reasons unknown. Then there is the position of safety where we try to save both mother and baby - or one of the two. (There have been occasions where mothers have opted for saving of the baby at the expense of their own lives.)

A fallopian pregnancy is one of such situations where most likely both mother and child will die if nothing is done.
What do you think of abortion in case of rape?

Ciao

- viole

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I choose God, choosing life. God's commands are never wrong.

I choose life for future victims, for example, of serial killers.

I choose the life of victims over the life of murderers.
But it is you who is actually making that choice-- not God.

God did not tell us that we must kill a murderer when there's a less lethal alternative. When in Sinai, we didn't have jails or prisons but now we do. The prophets demanded mercy once eretz Israel had jails and places of refuge.

Thus, in today's world, capital punishment is just man's revenge-- not God's.

While I'm at it, should we stone to death adulterers? Should we stone to death women who may have had an abortion? Logically, if you're still proposing killing murderers because it's found in Torah, then these two groups must also be stoned as well.

Suave

Simulated character
Does the bible address whether abortion is justified in certain circumstances?

Numbers 5:11 to 5:31.*New International Version* [Edit] There is the biblical myth of the Jewish God having a priest administer a magical abortion potion in order to cause a woman to miscarry if she were impregnated by a man other than her husband.

Last edited: