1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Religious views on abortion

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Unveiled Artist, Mar 29, 2021.

1. KenS

KenS Face to face with my Father
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,970
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    My wife and I would hold to that it is not.

2. thomas t

thomas t non-denominational Christian

Ratings:
    +537
    Religion:
    Christian
    fallen thigh means that they hang down. As opposed to sexy thighs that are curvy and well shaped.
    It's not an illness, so I'd say there is no medical name for it.

Yeah you have your opinion, I have mine.
    However, condoning abortion is a reproach as I see it.

So the onus is on the ones who claim so.

That's my take on the matter.

3. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,897
    Religion:
    not a theist
    So basically you are saying that if a women cheats on her husband back then that "fallen thighs" and "swollen belly" is the punishment from god?

Wow.
    Just...
    wow

Ok then.

I will stick with my opinion.
    I find yours to be severely lacking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,877

In Scripture the thigh being located in the general area of the body dealing with reproductive organs.
    Note: Genesis 46:26; Exodus 1:5; Judges 8:30
    So, the word 'thigh' could very well be a substitution referring to sexual organs.
    So, ' fall or fall away ' we would now say ' waste away ' (shrivel away).
    Remember adultery was a capital offence carrying the death penalty.
    But we are speaking about a situation that required two or more witnesses - Numbers 35:40; Deuteronomy 19:15 - so in this case there were No witnesses; No one was identified or revealed.
    If the woman was guilty, and since there were No witnesses, she experienced the loss of her sex organs.
    Meaning she would No longer be able to conceive ever again.

5. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,877
    If you mean by 'cheats' meaning 'adultery' then you are right.
    Under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law for ancient Israel the punishment for adultery was: death.
    In this case there were No eye witnesses, No person named or identified.
    So, in this case if the wife was really guilty her reproductive organs would cease.

6. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Methinks you should re-examine that verse because to me the "mischief" that might follow is the possible death of the woman. That's why "life for life". The man was only required to pay a fine(whatever the father asked) for killing the unborn child by accident.

7. thomas t

Ratings:
    +537
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'd rather see it as a preemptive measure.
    If she cheated once, a swollen belly takes the sexy curves away and she won't cheat twice after the potion...

8. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +912
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    It shouldn't be to you. Have you Google'd when a fetus feels the pain of abortion.

9. BilliardsBall

Ratings:
    +912
    Religion:
    I appreciate your strong opinions. Many people have strong opinions. You cannot go wrong pursuing or attempting to purse the Bible's opinions, particularly if you've trusted Jesus for salvation (born again).

10. BilliardsBall

Ratings:
    +912
    Religion:
    Yes, righteous judges in the gospels, NT and OT were not always to proscribe the Law without finding the mitigating circumstances, for example, here, how did the Pharisees catch her in adultery? It was a setup.

Thank you for not judging me.

11. viole

viole Ontological Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,918
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    We all agree that after 1 hour from conception, it will not.
    So, would you be fine with that?

If you say that abortion is wrong at any time after conception, what are the reasons? For sure feeling pain cannot be one of them, since a few human cells do not feel pain when terminated. So, those reasons must be something else.

So, what is it?

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
  12. viole

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,918
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Suggestion to the Almighty. While you seem to punish cheating women by disabling their sex appeal, what about punishing mass murderers by disabling their murderous capacities, whatever they are? I am not aware of any of the sort being applied by You to them.

Unless, of course, You Almighty think that cheating on a husband is soooo much worse than performing mass murders. Since You seem to have a much higher indulgence for the latter and not for the former, I cannot exclude that You will not follow my advice.

Anyway, just my humble suggestion to our Morality Giver.

Ciao

- viole

#112 viole, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Hermit Philosopher

Hermit Philosopher Selflessly here for you

Ratings:
    +966

Eh...? I’m very confused now.
    But also quite curious! What do you mean...? By “god” in that sentence; are you referring to a specific definition of God or to just any sort of god(s)?

Perhaps this is a very naive question - if so, please forgive me - but, are there godless religions too?

My world seems very small at times...

Humbly
    Hermit

14. thomas t

Ratings:
    +537
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you Viole for your valid prayer to Yahweh (I suppose it's him you talked to...).
    It's a good prayer.
    Thank you for publishing it in a response to me.

Murder is certainly horrible,
    there is one difference that I see: the wife promised to stay with her husband in ancient Israel.

15. viole

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,918
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    So, if I do not promise to not kill anyone, and I do kill someone, I am more excusable?

Simple explanation: all those things do not have anything to do with God, since that God was just made up by that ancient paternalistic society, more terrified by their women cheating on them than by performing genocide. Don't you see how obvious that is?

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
  16. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,284
    Yes. There are godless religions. I can't name them all, but Buddhism is one of them. If you mean the christian god (a creator), there are thousands without that definition of god. I think saying all religions have god (my thought, not yours) is generalizing the whole set of religions I wouldn't know about. So, I guess I give the benefit of the doubt that even though a majority of people believe in some form of god(s), there are religions who don't hold such beliefs. I don't know if they are on this board-or at least they are associating the word god with the christian god which isn't always the case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hermit Philosopher

Hermit Philosopher Selflessly here for you

Ratings:
    +966

Thank you Unveiled Artist,
    I understand what was meant better now.

I suppose one’s interpretation of the sentence, depends on how broad one’s definition of the term “god” is.

I see ideas of godliness in all human notions of the Divine and therefore - possibly quite wrongly - think of a Buddhists “god” in form of a universal consciousness, understanding and wisdom - a collective Godhead, if you will.

Humbly
    Hermit

18. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +20,596
    Religion:
    disciple of Gandhi, Jesus, & the Dalai Lama
    And that becomes the point whereas capital punishment in today's societies is pro-death, not pro-life. Plus it stands to common sense, namely that people tend to change one way or the other as their life goes on, thus we've seen myriads of people over the years who changed their life for the better.

I can relate to that because, when I was in my 20's, I was an agnostic hunting for a sense of direction. It was then that I ran across a women also in her 20's that would end up changing my life forever even though we didn't end up together.

19. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,284
    From what I gather, the Buddha denied deities (of Hinduism) in relation to enlightenment. I'm not sure how he viewed consciousness, but I do know that even though he may have believed in (the Hindu) god, it wasn't part of his Dharma. He rejected it, actually.

• Like Like x 1
  20. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +20,596
    Religion:
    disciple of Gandhi, Jesus, & the Dalai Lama
    The Buddha did not deny deities but taught that any thought of a creator-god was irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1