• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious tattoo art opinion?

Brickjectivity

Yummy Bricks
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no tattoos, but the best tattoos seem like ones that represent a group such a Marine tattoos or tattoos that represent something you learned or worked hard for. For example a Mathematician might get a Math tattoo, or a gunner might get a tattoo of a gun. Maybe you have had a dog for fifteen years and want to get a tattoo for your dogs. Lets say you have a divinity degree representing a lot of work. Then a Jesus tattoo might make sense to me, but if you are a convert then it makes less sense or if you want the tattoo to remind you to be a Christian then no. There ought to be something of you in a tattoo that is about you, not about what you intend to be.

If you already have had a life of serving Jesus and so forth then it makes more sense, but if you are intending to have such a life then I think do not get a tattoo. Get one that represents a skill or a group that you have been in for a while, something that reminds you of an accomplishment. Do you have big muscles and workout? Get one that is about that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What do you think of Jesus style tattoos?
It makes me question of the faith of person who has the tattoo.

Some people use body art to express themselves; if someone feels strongly enough to express their religion through a tattoo, fair enough.

... but I think there are also people who use religious tattoos as commitment devices: by displaying their religion permanently on their bodies, they know that this will make it harder for them to leave their religion. This can be useful to someone who wants to stay in their religion but doesn't think that their faith alone will be enough to do it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Did Jesus have tattoos? He was a sailor at times; maybe an anchor, or "MOM"?
It's obvious....
f32928be8718c305490a05fbcbf16563.jpg

VioletVortex

Getting tattoos depicting religious figures directly is a little weird, but I think symbols, like the Mjölnir or Sunwheel in the case of Heathenry, make good tattoos as long as the person is bearing them honestly, rather than as an attention seeking mechanism.