• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Revenge

Ryan2065

How is being bigoted towards fundamentalists a bad thing?

Dictionary.com reads...
fun·da·men·tal·ism
n.

1. A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.
    1. often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
    2. Adherence to the theology of this movement.
I think Indigo was talking about the "often intolerance to other views" part. I am defently not for intolerance. Should I be?

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
IndigoChild said:
Or, to put it more succinctly, I am prejudiced against anyone I percieve to be a detriment to humanity by their actions dragging humanity through wars, bigotry, televangelism, hatred, racism, close-mindedness, close-heartedness, and other things that keep humanity from evolving.

Kat
So, your solution is to fight prejudice with prejudice?

Is this not a vicious, neverending cycle?

Natas

NetDoc said:
Well, Cold Stone, I concur. I have pointed this out repeatedly but upon deaf ears. If I were to use language towards other beliefs that are used towards Christians and their beliefs I would be castigated no end.
Ok, Netdoc, can you provide us with any examples? We're all curious to know what sort of language is being used against Christians that isn't used against anyone else.

NetDoc said:
But as Indigo Child so eloquently put it: As a fundamentalist, I am a detriment to society. Makes me feel real welcome. Nor do I expect anything to be done about it. You want examples? There ya go.
This is hardly an example. Indigo Child is stating her personal opinion, as do you on many occasions from what I read here on RF. What do you feel should be done about someone stating their personal opinion here on a religious discussion board? If we all believed the same as you, there wouldn't be much point of a discussion now would there? We could just nod, and slap each other on the back.
Sarcasm thinly disguised as self pity won't draw much sympathy either.

You are welcome to say what you want about my agnosticm, use any of the words you feel are only being used against Christians. I won't expect anyone to do anything about it either, and I wouldn't want them to.

The Black Whirlwind

I am a fundamentalist as well. I adhere strictly to Jedi codes of conduct, the 21 Maxims, and most everything in my Book of the Jedi. I dont see whats so bad about being a fundamentalist for your beliefs.

turk179

I smell something....
NetDoc said:
Well,

Cold Stone, I concur. I have pointed this out repeatedly but upon deaf ears. If I were to use language towards other beliefs that are used towards Christians and their beliefs I would be castigated no end.

But as Indigo Child so eloquently put it: As a fundamentalist, I am a detriment to society. Makes me feel real welcome. Nor do I expect anything to be done about it. You want examples? There ya go.
May I ask if you really are a fundamentalist, NetDoc? I am only going by the definition that Ryan2065 posted and I have to admit, I really did not know the exact definition of the term until now. If that is accurate then it just sounds like another way of expressing your personal beliefs. From the sounds of it, the only problem anyone could possibly have with that belief is the intolerance part which Ryan2065 already said.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ryan said:
A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles,
This describes me to a "T". However, the "often" parts do not. When you paint with such a broad brush, you usually paint outside the line you intended. I have often brisled at the misuse of this term to label EXTREMISTS. Intloerance abounds, but it's not just a "fundamentalist" issue.

So now we have at least two people saying this is a problem. I know of at least one moderator who sees it as well but has remained silent.

But what do I know? I am a detriment to society.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
This describes me to a "T". However, the "often" parts do not. When you paint with such a broad brush, you usually paint outside the line you intended. I have often brisled at the misuse of this term to label EXTREMISTS. Intloerance abounds, but it's not just a "fundamentalist" issue.

So now we have at least two people saying this is a problem. I know of at least one moderator who sees it as well but has remained silent.

Why on Earth do you say that? - what is more do you really believe that?

Your comment about the 'Moderator' has me all agog; I need to know who that is............:biglaugh:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
IndigoChild said:
I'm bigoted against bigots, idiots, morons, asshats, fundamentalists, and racists. I find their resistance to change and their idiocy, their disrespect for life and for other people, and many other things about them morally repugnant. Racists and fundamentalists especially. Anyone who insists I'm going to some imaginary place in the bowels of the earth after I die just because I'm Pagan or bisexual or whatnot is a waste of oxygen.
I thought that place was reserved for the ignorant who rant incoherently and paint with a broad brush. :rolleyes:

It appears that there are a lot of emotion regarding this subject. I suspect many (not all) of you were forced by some legalistic means regarding some distorted view of biblical/Christian thinking.

But in the "Market Place of Ideas," it seems that the major thrust among the pagan libs is tolerance. Don't offend people, don't judge people, be tolerant towards other peoples beliefs.

And for the most part, this is carried out in relation to most systems EXCEPT Judeo Christian virues, concepts and ideas.

Though it is true, the Bible is very Intolerant towards many things outside it's system. But as a representative of this system of thought, I would probably be friends with many of you pagans if we knew each other and probably would grab a hamburger with you. Despite disagreements.

This intolerance and often hatred seems to still be imbedded upon some psychological nature that perhaps the aggressor is not even aware of.

It just seems extremely hypocritical as a fundalmentalist Christian hater to be tolerant towards the other systems EXCEPT this one. These factors are worth exploring in your individual lives.

Cold-Stone Advantage

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Michel,
Indigo Child told us that people like me (which includes me) are a "detriment to society". I have since made it a part of my Title.

turk179

I smell something....
NetDoc said:

Thank you NetDoc. I appreciate your answer.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cold-Stone said:
It appears that there are a lot of emotion regarding this subject. I suspect many (not all) of you were forced by some legalistic means regarding some distorted view of biblical/Christian thinking. But in the "Market Place of Ideas," it seems that the major thrust among the pagan libs is tolerance. Don't offend people, don't judge people, be tolerant towards other peoples beliefs. And for the most part, this is carried out in relation to most systems EXCEPT Judeo Christian virues, concepts and ideas. Though it is true, the Bible is very Intolerant towards many things outside it's system. But as a representative of this system of thought, I would probably be friends with many of you pagans if we knew each other and probably would grab a hamburger with you. Despite disagreements. This intolerance and often hatred seems to still be imbedded upon some psychological nature that perhaps the aggressor is not even aware of. It just seems extremely hypocritical as a fundalmentalist Christian hater to be tolerant towards the other systems EXCEPT this one. These factors are worth exploring in your individual lives. Cold-Stone Advantage
Before trying so hard to sound insightful you should first try to sound coherent. But, even before taking on that challenge, you should recognize that you've been asked to supply specific examples supporting your OP, and that evading this request speaks volumes.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello, Cold Stone! I'm sorry that my first post to you is in a situation where I disagree. Hopefully, we'll get the chance to know each other!

Cold-Stone said:
Now I am not religious at all. But I am curious as to why so many pagans on here are so hostile to Christian thinking.
If I see anyone around who is hostile to another's thinking, I try to gently remind them to be tolerant. Unfortunately, I have a horrible double-standard when it comes to people from my own religion. I become incensed, perhaps because I feel that (since most of us pagans have known intolerance ourselves) we should be more understanding. I guess I'd have to ask which pagans you are referring to, because I am not aware of them.

Cold-Stone said:
It seems that all other systems are restricted from criticism in many of your minds lest you are a bigot.
Not for me. I think all systems should be open to questioning, especially my own. It's true that I don't like to criticize, but that's more because I don't feel it within my place to judge another belief system unless they're hurting others.

Cold-Stone said:
Islam-can't criticise Islam, or you are a racist
Judaism-can't criticise judaism, or you are an anti-semite
can't criticise buddhism, or you are narrow minded.
I can criticize them. I just don't see the point. Why bother trying to erode another's belief system? The same goes true for my attitude for Christianity.

Cold-Stone said:
These are the elementary type school proposals from many liberal pagan goofy minded people.
I'm not sure if labelling all pagans 'liberal', or 'goofy minded' is a healthy argument. I happen to be both, and proud of it, but labelling others (especially when you are attempting to critisize their 'bigot' behavior) rather ruins the point.

Cold-Stone said:
And since many are on here, what is the real issue? Were you "forced" by your parents as young lads? Are you just always in a bad mood?
(I honestly don't know if you mean 'forced' as in 'to go to church', or as in being raped. I think you probably mean well, so I will assume the former.) As a young lady, I wasn't forced to go to church. I enjoyed going, and still do if a friend invites me along. Christianity, like I percieve all religions (and non-religions) as having, has great wisdom to teach other faiths.

And I tend to always be in a rolicking good mood, actually.

Cold-Stone said:
Why can't you pagans and liberals and gays just be more considerate towards another worldview?
Okay, you grouped pagans and liberals already, so why compound the situation by suggesting that gays are in the same field?

Cold-Stone said:
It's extremely narrow minded.
You're right. It is. Or, at least, it would be if it were true. Please consider that you might be thinking of pre-emptive bigotry. That's where you assume someone's going to reply to you in a negative manner, and you start generalizing and maligning the other group as a self-defense

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
Michel,
Indigo Child told us that people like me (which includes me) are a "detriment to society". I have since made it a part of my Title.
Oh, no!

I'm sorry, NetDoc. I've been away for such a long time that I didn't know such a thing happened. I'd noticed the title change, and was hoping that it wasn't because someone had said something so negative.

After I replied (rather heatedly, I'm afraid), I did think about a few months ago, and the wave of anti- Christian bigotry that had hit us. I really hope that such a thing won't happen again.

Cynic

Cold-Stone said:
This intolerance and often hatred seems to still be imbedded upon some psychological nature that perhaps the aggressor is not even aware of.
Most things we do are driven by unconcsious motives that most people are not aware of, the underlying force being survival, or basically self interest. No matter what side of the tracks, people are driven by this motive.

Ulver

Maize said:
Actually, I don't think the Pagans on here are hostile to Christianity, I think it's just you. Most of the time, Christians, Pagans, Buddhists, Muslims, UUs, Atheists, Jews, Seekers, and everyone else gets along just fine. No, we don't always agree on everything, but there's no hostility between us. Most of the time this is a very peaceful forum.

Too bad that doesn't quite work out that way in real life.

My personal opinion on the matter is that in a person should have the right to criticize any religion, but should expect any belief they have "open" to the critic of others. Pagans and others often seem very defensive or perhaps aggressive because (at least in America) the majority of the people around them consider themselves Christian and Christianity is often unconsciously considered 'the norm' for everyone. Funny thing is that most of the founders of the constitution were Deists.

np: Megadeth- A Tout Le Monde

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ulver said:
Too bad that doesn't quite work out that way in real life.

True. I do consider RF 'real life,' though.

I think the reason that Maize was phrasing it that way (and she can give me a good whapping if I'm wrong) was because it was specifically the pagans of RF who were being accused of bigotry.

I'm not going to lie and say it never happens (though I wish it didn't) but I feel that saying all pagans are anti- Christian is not kind to those who aren't.

Ulver

FeathersinHair said:
True. I do consider RF 'real life,' though.

I'm not going to lie and say it never happens (though I wish it didn't) but I feel that saying all pagans are anti- Christian is not kind to those who aren't.

oh I knew what Maize was getting at and I certainly am not stating that all pagans are "anti-christian". That would be just dumb of me to do.

I just felt it's odd in a sad, yet funny way that people here for the most part get along while in the world we live in there is relgious violence almost daily. From the whole problem in Palestine/Israel to the Buddha statues in Afghanistan being destroyed (never mind the far worse things in decades to centuries before in the name of so many different religions).

np: Earth- Raiford (The Felon Wind)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ulver said:
oh I knew what Maize was getting at and I certainly am not stating that all pagans are "anti-christian". That would be just dumb of me to do.

I just felt it's odd in a sad, yet funny way that people here for the most part get along while in the world we live in there is relgious violence almost daily. From the whole problem in Palestine/Israel to the Buddha statues in Afghanistan being destroyed (never mind the far worse things in decades to centuries before in the name of so many different religions).

np: Earth- Raiford (The Felon Wind)
Well said, and very true! (And I apologize; I should have known that you knew what Maize was referring to!)