• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Revenge

Hello Friends,

Now I am not religious at all. But I am curious as to why so many pagans on here are so hostile to Christian thinking.

It seems that all other systems are restricted from criticism in many of your minds lest you are a bigot.

Islam-can't criticise Islam, or you are a racist
Judaism-can't criticise judaism, or you are an anti-semite
can't criticise buddhism, or you are narrow minded.

These are the elementary type school proposals from many liberal pagan goofy minded people. And since many are on here, what is the real issue? Were you "forced" by your parents as young lads? Are you just always in a bad mood?

Why can't you pagans and liberals and gays just be more considerate towards another worldview?

It's extremely narrow minded.

Interested in your thoughts.

Cold-Stone Advantage

Ryan2065

Cold-Stone said:
Hello Friends,

Now I am not religious at all. But I am curious as to why so many pagans on here are so hostile to Christian thinking.

It seems that all other systems are restricted from criticism in many of your minds lest you are a bigot.

These are the elementary type school proposals from many liberal pagan goofy minded people. And since many are on here, what is the real issue? Were you "forced" by your parents as young lads? Are you just always in a bad mood?

Why can't you pagans and liberals and gays just be more considerate towards another worldview?

Unless you give examples (and more than one) of the Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism views being given while the christian view was given and people only attack the christian view then your argument here holds no water.

I await your examples.

Circle_One

I don't think the majority of Pagans on here are hostile towards Christianity or Christians at all. I think, at the very least, it just stems from being constantly condemned to hell by Christians simply because we are not like them. If there's any hostility at all, it's because of the intolerance a lot of Christians show Pagans.

On the whole, Pagans are very open, tolerant people who believe all religious paths (including Christianity) are valid, whereas Christians (well, some Christians, I'm sure you all know I don't mean the majority) are the opposite and believe only their path is valid.

huajiro

Cold-Stone said:
Hello Friends,

Cold-Stone Advantage
I can criticize everyone, I have no religion.

:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Circle_One said:
I don't think the majority of Pagans on here are hostile towards Christianity or Christians at all. I think, at the very least, it just stems from being constantly condemned to hell by Christians simply because we are not like them. If there's any hostility at all, it's because of the intolerance a lot of Christians show Pagans.

On the whole, Pagans are very open, tolerant people who believe all religious paths (including Christianity) are valid, whereas Christians (well, some Christians, I'm sure you all know I don't mean the majority) are the opposite and believe only their path is valid.
What you say is so sad - it hurts..................

I don't want to think anyone will ever go to hell; I realize that is unrealistic, but I would never target an entire group just because they are not like me. The fact that, because I call myself a Christian, you include me with those I see as being unyielding and mistaken in what they believe fills my heart with great sadness..........:(

Circle_One

michel said:
What you say is so sad - it hurts..................

I don't want to think anyone will ever go to hell; I realize that is unrealistic, but I would never target an entire group just because they are not like me. The fact that, because I call myself a Christian, you include me with those I see as being unyielding and mistaken in what they believe fills my heart with great sadness..........:(
Michel, I didn't mean to make you feel that way. I said that I didn't mean the majority. Believe me, I know many, many, many Christians who are kind, loving, tolerant, etc. etc. and love me for who I am, no matter my beliefs. My boyfriend is a diehard Christian, so I, by no mean, believe that the whole of Christianity is like that. I just mean, and you have to agree, that there are Christian individuals just like I described. For every Christian I've come across that has greeted me with tolerance and respect, I've come across one who's condemned me and hated me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't noticed many members of any religion being hostile towards another beliefe. There was member that was very hatefull towards all pagan and non-christian beliefes, maybe two or three others, but one stands out above all others.

The only type of Christians are those who condemn people to hell just because they aren't christian. The Christians like Micheal (and the many other Christian members here) who don't do that are cool. I have no hostility or hatred towards them.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I am curious here. What exactly qualifies as hostility in the context of this discussion?

Some have felt I was being hostile when I have identified instances where members of a particular group objected to others engaging in the same practice they themselves do, from the perspective of a different faith. Does observing that evangelical Christians don't like being evangelized by non-Christians constitute hostility? It wasn't presented with that intent, but then most people don't seem to count the presenter's intent for much, in my experience.

Is anything besides unqualified support considered hostility? I don't believe that is a really workable definition, but of course that's my opinion. This does tend to limit the discussion quite a bit though, if one can't make observations without accusations of hostility in return.

As a Buddhist, I am not hostile to any other faith. I may ask questions, or present instances of actions which have puzzled me, but none of it is offered with hostile intent. YMMV, of course.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Cold-Stone said:

Actually, I don't think the Pagans on here are hostile to Christianity, I think it's just you. Most of the time, Christians, Pagans, Buddhists, Muslims, UUs, Atheists, Jews, Seekers, and everyone else gets along just fine. No, we don't always agree on everything, but there's no hostility between us. Most of the time this is a very peaceful forum.

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."

DreamQuickBook

Cold-Stone said:
Hello Friends,

Every day pagans have to deal with the intolerance and cruelty of Christians. In America, we live in a predominately Christian country where pagan religions are looked down. One of the fundamental principles of all pagan religions is that there is no one true religion and no one true god, so we don't care who you worship or what you believe as long as you behave yourself.

Sadly, Christians can be some of the most vicious and intolerant people in the world and pagans take issue with that. I have the same problem with Islam, but the Muslim community stay pretty much to themselves, so I don't have to deal with them as often.

Anyway, the only problem I have with Christianity and Islam is their violence, their hatred, their intolerance and their cruelty. Outside that, I don't care what they think. *shrugs* When Christians are tolerant, they are wonderful.

Fluffy

A fool
Hello Friends,

Im hostile to certain Christian ideas simply because I disagree with them and think they are wrong. However, this is just my belief and so is potentially just as invalid as the Christian beliefs I am disagreeing with so who am I to judge?

I find that criticism is fine but it is the manner in which it is conducted which can either cause offense or produce productive conversation. I can kinda see what you are getting at but I still think that as long as you make every attempt to come across as polite, that what you are suggesting are simply your own views and that you respect those who disagree with you and their right to believe differently, then their won't be a problem.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. Im sorry if you cannot comprehend why your posts might not cause offense and I will take them in good faith that you did not intend as such. However, please do not be surprised if people are offended by your words. If you do not like such a reaction then it would be advisable to change the tone and nature of your posts, perhaps.

Well it is difficult to be considerate towards a worldview that allows someone to make sweeping implication about 3 completely unrelated groups of people with little or no justification. Personally, I believe there is merit in everything, including the above, so a lack of consideration is rarely amongst my array of reactions.

IndigoChild

Cold-Stone said:
Hello Friends,

I'm bigoted against bigots, idiots, morons, asshats, fundamentalists, and racists. I find their resistance to change and their idiocy, their disrespect for life and for other people, and many other things about them morally repugnant. Racists and fundamentalists especially. Anyone who insists I'm going to some imaginary place in the bowels of the earth after I die just because I'm Pagan or bisexual or whatnot is a waste of oxygen.

Kat

IndigoChild

Or, to put it more succinctly, I am prejudiced against anyone I percieve to be a detriment to humanity by their actions dragging humanity through wars, bigotry, televangelism, hatred, racism, close-mindedness, close-heartedness, and other things that keep humanity from evolving.

Kat

Cynic

Circle_One said:

Since I have changed my religious preferance to agnostic, I have experienced intolerance for my beliefs, more so from Christians than from any other religious group. It gave me a whole new perspective by being on the other side of the tracks.

Scott1

Maize said:
Actually, I don't think the Pagans on here are hostile to Christianity, I think it's just you. Most of the time, Christians, Pagans, Buddhists, Muslims, UUs, Atheists, Jews, Seekers, and everyone else gets along just fine. No, we don't always agree on everything, but there's no hostility between us. Most of the time this is a very peaceful forum.

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
:clap As usual... right on the money, Maize. Frubals to thee.

Natas

Cold-Stone said:
Hello Friends,

Questioning the veracity of their statements or the intent of their post doesn't qualify as hostility. Maybe you are seeing something that is true only in your vision.

Cold-Stone said:

I don't feel any restrictions as to who or what I am inclined to address. Perhaps, Christianity, being more pro-active then other religions, opens them up to more interactions with Pagans.

Cold-Stone said:
These are the elementary type school proposals from many liberal pagan goofy minded people.
Are you serious? Is this a pun?

Cold-Stone said:
And since many are on here, what is the real issue? Were you "forced" by your parents as young lads? Are you just always in a bad mood?
More generalizations unworthy of response.

Cold-Stone said:

Now I know you must be pulling our collective legs. This statement is a prime example of the, "Pot calling the Kettle black".

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Well,

Cold Stone, I concur. I have pointed this out repeatedly but upon deaf ears. If I were to use language towards other beliefs that are used towards Christians and their beliefs I would be castigated no end.

But as Indigo Child so eloquently put it: As a fundamentalist, I am a detriment to society. Makes me feel real welcome. Nor do I expect anything to be done about it. You want examples? There ya go.