• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Religious Freedom) Now a crime in VA to attend services?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh please. Unbelievers love to tell Christians what Jesus expects. Like they know. Sorry, whatever you are, but your advice concerning what Jesus wants carries no weight.

Good-Ole-Rebel
You sound very angry and hateful. Perhaps you should pray about this and find some peace.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
As a Christian, it is my duty, responsibility and desire to ensure that I do not infect anyone with any communicable illness I might contract. I do not want people to infect me and in turn do not want to infect others. Luke 6:31. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. See also Matthew 7:12.

Christians do not need to be in large groups in order to worship. Matthew 18:20 tells us that Christ is with us even in small groups.

As a Christian it is also my duty and responsibility to obey the laws of the land I live in. Christ even commanded this of us. Matthew 22:21.

I'm sure most Christians agree with your post. Unfortunately all groups of people no matter how you divide and label them have a few selfish people who only care about themselves.

I hope all is well and stays that way in your part of the world Dan.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure most Christians agree with your post. Unfortunately all groups of people no matter how you divide and label them have a few selfish people who only care about themselves.

I hope all is well and stays that way in your part of the world Dan.
I agree. I just wanted to interject some reason and rational examples of Christian behavior that does not involve the fight, flight or fright response.

I am still doing well as I hope you and yours are. Missourians in my area do not seem to consider the current state of things to be very serious if you rely on the fact that most of them seem to be out running around shopping. I was expecting the local call by county and city government to stay at home would leave the streets empty and stores like a ghost town. It looks like Black Friday every day over the last two weeks. Optimism, ignorance or selfishness? Not sure which.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I agree. I just wanted to interject some reason and rational examples of Christian behavior that does not involve the fight, flight or fright response.

I am still doing well as I hope you and yours are. Missourians in my area do not seem to consider the current state of things to be very serious if you rely on the fact that most of them seem to be out running around shopping. I was expecting the local call by county and city government to stay at home would leave the streets empty and stores like a ghost town. It looks like Black Friday every day over the last two weeks. Optimism, ignorance or selfishness? Not sure which.

They need to watch a few videos of the hospitals in Italy. Slowly choking to death in a hospital hallway doesn't appeal to me. We're staying at home and trying to ride it out, lucky to live in a small town that still has a butcher and bakery so don't have to go near a supermarket.

Good-Ole-Rebel

If they've taken all reasonable precautions and it's not illegal where they live then it's on no one.

No idea of the laws where you live but not where I do, it's currently illegal to go to churchalong with numerous other activities, the reason they go is irrelevant.

I have no idea what that means.

Already answered above.

No idea of the relevance.

I agree that laws to make people stop hurting themselves are silly but I no longer get surprised by the stupidity of people so they are necessary.

Christians can observe precautions but still should meet. They could meet in small groups as I have said. The reason we go is irrelevant to you, but not to us. In other words the world is deeming what it believes is essential. Not what the Christian believes is essential.

I quit being surprised also.

Good-Ole-Rebel

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Christians can observe precautions but still should meet. They could meet in small groups as I have said. The reason we go is irrelevant to you, but not to us. In other words the world is deeming what it believes is essential. Not what the Christian believes is essential.

I quit being surprised also.

Good-Ole-Rebel

If the group doesn't exceed the number of people the authorities have said is ok then it's not a problem. You could also meet over facetime or skype or whatever. We're on complete lock down in Australia, can only leave home for food, essentials, work or exercise once a day and maximum groups of 2.

Good-Ole-Rebel

If the group doesn't exceed the number of people the authorities have said is ok then it's not a problem. You could also meet over facetime or skype or whatever. We're on complete lock down in Australia, can only leave home for food, essentials, work or exercise once a day and maximum groups of 2.

It becomes a problem with Christians when we can't meet.

Facebook and skype is not the same. Of course Christians can use it. But they need to meet.

Understand, we Christians are under no law to have to meet. Every Christian must make the decision on his own. But meeting is essential for the believer in Christ. The united worship is essential.

Good-Ole-Rebel

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Facebook and skype is not the same. Of course Christians can use it. But they need to meet.

Understand, we Christians are under no law to have to meet. Every Christian must make the decision on his own. But meeting is essential for the believer in Christ. The united worship is essential.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Like I said, I no longer get suprised by the stupidity of people. However I do have a problem when the stupidity threatens to harm others.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I just learned from watching the T.V. that our Texas Governour has just added religious gatherings as an essential part of our life. Therefore we are free to meet, and worship and of course observe as much as possible the social distancing and cleanliness.

So, the Christian here in Texas can go to Church.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Tambourine

Can they practice social distancing when packed together in small spaces as large groups (which is what I assume most church services would look like)?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You sound very shallow and condescending. Have you prayed about that? I do have peace.

Good-Ole-Rebel
I am not shallow nor condescending and your saying so corroborates my observations of your posts. What is it that angers you so? Would you like to discuss it?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I just learned from watching the T.V. that our Texas Governour has just added religious gatherings as an essential part of our life. Therefore we are free to meet, and worship and of course observe as much as possible the social distancing and cleanliness.

Good-Ole-Rebel
I hope the Christians of your state exercise their rights with wisdom.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
I am unfamiliar with the need for united worship in very large groups that you claim Christians need.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
They need to watch a few videos of the hospitals in Italy. Slowly choking to death in a hospital hallway doesn't appeal to me. We're staying at home and trying to ride it out, lucky to live in a small town that still has a butcher and bakery so don't have to go near a supermarket.
I get the impression that people around here just do not get the reality of the situation and if it comes to a time when they can see people suffering from the illness, it will be too late.

In my understanding of my religion God has not commanded that I live in ignorance, fear and stupidity while blinding myself to reality.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Good-Ole-Rebel

But surely the vast majority of religious people are smart enough not to endanger themselves and their family/friends.