• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Religious Freedom) Now a crime in VA to attend services?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The point is that you've been unilaterally declaring that meeting in person is necessary for Christians but statements from other Christians show that isn't as definitive as you'd like to make out.
It's a pretty weak religion that requires an adherent to actually touch, here in the age of electronic communication.

My mother-in-law is very unhappy about not being able to go to church. She's accustomed to at least three services a week. But she understands the health risks for everyone, and puts up with "Facebook sermons" and talking to her friends on the phone. She's part of a little support group.

They check on each other daily and chat and get other people(like me) to help out with stuff. Simple stuff mostly. Picking up prescriptions and groceries. Trying to find isopropyl alcohol(TP isn't a problem anymore). Getting a trash toter out to the street on collecting day.
The way I see it, responding to other people's needs, especially the frail and "at risk", is far more Christian than getting together to talk about the Bible telling you to do that.
Tom

Good-Ole-Rebel

The point is that you've been unilaterally declaring that meeting in person is necessary for Christians but statements from other Christians show that isn't as definitive as you'd like to make out. Something consistently identified as an issue by all (or even most) Christians and Churches would be much more significant that something identified by a tiny minority.

On the question whether Christians think it is necessary, that is true. On the question of how the state should balance religious freedom and individual preferences against wider public health is something we all have an equal say in.

As I said, take it up with the other 'christian' as you call him.

No, you don't have an equal say in telling the Church what it can do. We will do what we can, and be obedient to the degree possible...until the State requires something of us that infringes on our duty to God.

Good-Ole-Rebel

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As I said, take it up with the other 'christian' as you call him.

No, you don't have an equal say in telling the Church what it can do. We will do what we can, and be obedient to the degree possible...until the State requires something of us that infringes on our duty to God.

Good-Ole-Rebel
I don't see any reason to judge you differently from these people:
Spring Breakers who disregarded health warnings are testing positive for the virus

You want what you want, and how much damage you do isn't especially important to you.
Tom

Good-Ole-Rebel

I don't see any reason to judge you differently from these people:
Spring Breakers who disregarded health warnings are testing positive for the virus

You want what you want, and how much damage you do isn't especially important to you.
Tom

Of course you don't. I don't see any reason to obey God even in these times.

Oh, it is important. I might catch the virus. Others might catch the virus. But if I catch the virus due to meeting with believers to worship God and Jesus Christ, I don't mind.

As I have said before, people like you are gong to whine and complain about the Christians actions either way. Either we were not having faith in God to protect us, or we caused the whole country to be infected. Just get in line...as it is long.

Good-Ole-Rebel

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Of course you don't. I don't see any reason to obey God even in these times.
I see good reason to follow Jesus's Message.
You are determined to follow your own.

You epitomize the Christian culture I know, and why I reject it. It's nothing to do with Jesus, it's Christians.
Tom

Good-Ole-Rebel

I see good reason to follow Jesus's Message.
You are determined to follow your own.

You epitomize the Christian culture I know, and why I reject it. It's nothing to do with Jesus, it's Christians.
Tom

That is an opinion based from one who has no religion. Thus I am not concerned.

Good-Ole-Rebel

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That is an opinion based from one who has no religion. Thus I am not concerned.

Good-Ole-Rebel
It's an opinion from someone who is well educated about religion, Christianity in particular.

And, rather like your shortsighted attitude towards C19, I've found Christianity rather lacking in the morals and ethics department, generally. Solid evidence that it's got nothing to do any important God.

Keep preachin' it brother!
Tom

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Oh, it is important. I might catch the virus. Others might catch the virus. But if I catch the virus due to meeting with believers to worship God and Jesus Christ, I don't mind.

If you spread it to other people they might mind and if they die it's on you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If they could be reliably held responsible, with lawsuits and stuff, I'll bet they wouldn't be so cavalier.
But if the infection doesn't show up for a week, or in the person infected on the beach or in church, it won't happen. The idiots will all deny any responsibility.
They won't be held to account.
Tom

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
If they could be reliably held responsible, with lawsuits and stuff, I'll bet they wouldn't be so cavalier.
But if the infection doesn't show up for a week, or in the person infected on the beach or in church, it won't happen. The idiots will all deny any responsibility.
They won't be held to account.
Tom

They still have to live with it and be judged by their God.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No they don't.

They simply refuse to believe that they're responsible. And their God always agrees with them about everything important.

Easy Peasy. No problem.
Tom

Good points. And I forgot about the fundamentalists get out of jail free card.... do what ever you want and ask forgiveness on your death bed.

Good-Ole-Rebel

It's an opinion from someone who is well educated about religion, Christianity in particular.

And, rather like your shortsighted attitude towards C19, I've found Christianity rather lacking in the morals and ethics department, generally. Solid evidence that it's got nothing to do any important God.

Keep preachin' it brother!
Tom

Your 'well educated' means nothing in the Christian sphere. If you are not born-again, you can have all the degrees allowed, and still be ignorant about Christ and Christianity. Which you are.

Again, your view of Christianity means nothing to me.

You and I are not 'brothers'. But, don't worry. I will continue preachin it, the Gospel.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

And if they got it from going to the grocery store it's on who? Or the hardware store? Or the liquor store? Or the doctors office? or the many other places of employment still open, etc. etc. etc. etc. ?

We don't go to Church to spread Corona. We go to worship Jesus Christ. Just like we don't go to Church to get our kids sick in the nursery, but they will.

What if a Church member gets Corona from someone visiting a grocery store? Maybe he should whine and complain about the store being opened.

Silly.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Just remember, Jesus expects you to love your neighbor, not risk potentially exposing them to a disease that may kill them in an agonizing way.

Oh please. Unbelievers love to tell Christians what Jesus expects. Like they know. Sorry, whatever you are, but your advice concerning what Jesus wants carries no weight.

Good-Ole-Rebel

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
And if they got it from going to the grocery store it's on who? Or the hardware store? Or the liquor store? Or the doctors office? or the many other places of employment still open, etc. etc. etc. etc. ?l

If they've taken all reasonable precautions and it's not illegal where they live then it's on no one.

We don't go to Church to spread Corona. We go to worship Jesus Christ.

No idea of the laws where you live but not where I do, it's currently illegal to go to churchalong with numerous other activities, the reason they go is irrelevant.

Just like we don't go to Church to get our kids sick in the nursery, but they will.

I have no idea what that means.

What if a Church member gets Corona from someone visiting a grocery store?

Already answered above.

Maybe he should whine and complain about the store being opened.

No idea of the relevance.

I agree that laws to make people stop hurting themselves are silly but I no longer get surprised by the stupidity of people so they are necessary.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Good points. And I forgot about the fundamentalists get out of jail free card.... do what ever you want and ask forgiveness on your death bed.
As a Christian, it is my duty, responsibility and desire to ensure that I do not infect anyone with any communicable illness I might contract. I do not want people to infect me and in turn do not want to infect others. Luke 6:31. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. See also Matthew 7:12.

Christians do not need to be in large groups in order to worship. Matthew 18:20 tells us that Christ is with us even in small groups.

As a Christian it is also my duty and responsibility to obey the laws of the land I live in. Christ even commanded this of us. Matthew 22:21.