• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Education

blue taylor

This is not what most people would expect. Some glaring statistics.
upload_2016-5-6_19-28-1.png

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Why is High school grad grouped with non-high-school graduate and where are the trade school graduates? Are trade school graduates considered some college. Messy statistic's.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's exactly what I would expect, considering a significant chunk of Hindus coming to the United States are hailing from India and coming to the United States specifically to get higher education. I'm assuming these demographics are US only, as that is what PEW focuses on. But given the lack of a citation out to a proper article, not 100% sure of that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
as I went to both public and religious schools .....I have first hand comparison....
the religious schools have a greater academe and discipline..... much greater

but people are people.....no matter what

blue taylor

What does religious affiliation have to do with education? I don't see the significance or the connection here.
The two oldest religions have the highest level of education. They are also two religions of great difference. Does it not seem strange that longevity in religion results in a level of higher learning?

Shak34

What does religious affiliation have to do with education? I don't see the significance or the connection here.

The religious group I grew up in did not encourage higher education. In away they discouraged it. So it doesn't surprise me that they have the lowest numbers.

Last edited:

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
Don't forget to take into account the area and ease of education instead of solely looking at religious preference.

Not that it really matters of course.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This is not what most people would expect.
Actually it is what I would expect. For Hindus it is mostly because America only admits the cream of the crop from India. For Jews, I think it is superior genetics for academic achievement.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Does no one notice the non-Christian religions are far ahead of the Christian ones?
I assumed it would be the case that Christians would be behind cream of the crop immigrants and those that think independently on religion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
as I went to both public and religious schools .....I have first hand comparison....
the religious schools have a greater academe and discipline..... much greater
The religious schooling I had was vastly inferior to even a public education, and it even supported racial segregation in Africa. It was blatantly wrong in many things concerning history and science. Even math was a few grades behind public school.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Many of the world's most crude leaders had qualifying degrees as well. Education when depends on the quality of the piece of paper than actual education, it can only serve ones stomach.
Last year I was friends with a guy from a rich family and stood first in his high school examination in the entire state, but who believed raping is manly, being gay is wrong, is an utter transphobic, racist, Islsmophobic, Casteist garbage, who bad over 6 incidents of beating people up in the streets

In India, education focuses mainly on engineering and medical, and sometimes on business. The need for money is forcing millions of young people to let go of their passions and go into any of the three streams. I faced a similar issue after my high school but thankfully my parents were on my side than forcing me into those three.

Quality Education globally now depends on wealth. College fees are impossibly steep in the west, mainly America. 20-30k per year for tuition is really high.
Also, not all the graduates of esteemed universities actually gain knowledge that is useful.
The Indian Donald Trump- Subramanian Swamy, is a Harvard degree holder who came to India only to provoke communal riots. A degree holder from Westminster went onto becoming Jihadi John.

Education is pointless if taken out of Ignorance and arrogance.

Education in the mode of Goodness provides peace to the Self, helps the person go above personal needs and help other living beings. He gets a natural curiosity for knowledge which is never filled.

Education in the mode of Passion is solely for ones own self. Focus lies on getting a high paying job, acquiring wealth and nothing more.

Education in the mode of Ignorance is centered around ignorance. Even after gaining knowledge, one uses it against others. He hurts other living beings only to show his prowess and lives onto subjugating others.

So, stats based on college degree and High school transcript isn't always accurate
I've seen highly educated people throw plastics on to the street, scream and even hit begging children while it is the uneducated that clean the street and shares his food he gets out of begging with his pet.

If knowledge is unable to arise compassion, love, tranquility and morality but instead only ends up magnifying ones arrogance, greed and anxiety... Is it the same as ignorance.
Knowledges slashes ignorance, doesn't become a slave to it.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
I do wonder how the statistics would change if college weren't so expensive in America.

My point exactly! In many countries, it won't cost you a dime. In the US, you are looking at the cost of a house for a QUALITY education (of a Bachelors Degree or beyond) unless you luck out with grants. I think a lot of it is due to the fact that you pay per credit hour mixed in with all the mandatory BS electives (my local community college forces students to take up bowling or tennis with any business major) and you better believe you pay for it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The religious schooling I had was vastly inferior to even a public education, and it even supported racial segregation in Africa. It was blatantly wrong in many things concerning history and science. Even math was a few grades behind public school.
omg....was not expecting that

where is went the academe was foremost