• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious announcements

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think the most productive conversation that you and I could have is a private one, off the forum. Unfortunately I have no way of private messaging you so, if you would welcome such a dialogue, you'll have to p.m. me or send me an e-mail.
It is a very kind offer. I thank you.

I think I need time and space before we start that conversation.... Perhaps in January or February?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yesterday I was helping an Orthodox Rabbi with his laptop. One of the congregants in jest asked the Rabbi if there was prayer that might help with computer problems.

The Rabbi looked at me quizzically... And I said:

"Oh.. that. Sure, it goes like this.

Dear G-d, please... Not again.... Ahhhhhmen."

:p:cool:

Happy Friday everyone!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think it would be fun to revive this thread: I thought it was a great idea when it was started by the OP, I think it's an even better idea now..

I'll start with 2 posts, not including this one, and see if anyone else wants to join me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Here's something I read regularly; it's meditative, from the Chabad Chassidus Siddur, published by Kehot, compiled from Nusach Ari.

It's on page 15 in the Morning Prayers section:
Master of all worlds! It is not because of our own righteousness that we present our supplications before You, but because of your abounding mercies. What are we? What is our life? What is our kindness? What is our righteousness? What is our strength? What is our might? What can we say to you, Lord our God and God of our fathers? Are not all mighty men as nothing before you, Men of reknown as though they have never been, the wise as if without knowledge, and men of understanding as if devoid of intelligence? For most of their deeds are naught, and the days of their lives are vanity before you. The pre-eminence of man over beast is naught, for all is vanity* -- except the pure soul which is destined to give an accounting before the Throne of Your Glory. All nations are nothing before You, as it is written: "The nations are as a drop from a bucket; considered no more than dust on the scales! BeHold, the isles are like flying dust."**

* Koheles (Book of Ecclesiastes ) 3:19
** Yeshayahu ( Book of Isaiah ) 40:15

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Tony Bristow-Stagg

Not sure if you're still active here, seems like maybe you're taking a hiatus from the forum?

None the less, I read this verse today and thought of you and my other Bahai friends, @adrian009 , @Trailblazer , @loverofhumanity ... ( and all the others whom I am forgetting ) really the whole 3rd chapter is beautiful, but the 7th verse is particularly useful, I think, in support of Bahai theology.

Amos 3:7 ( as rendered by the NIV )

"Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets."

In Hebrew the word translated as "Lord" is the 4 letter name, not one of the other mighty forces ( aka not one of the other-Gods)

The other implication of this verse on a practical level: The Hebrew of this verse says that the revelation is granted to "servant(s) of G-d". The verses seems to suggest that this servitude/slavery is a prerequisite for being a prophet. Also Note: not a servant of any "Other God", but a servant to the King of Kings, the G-d of all that is: the 4 letter name.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
@Tony Bristow-Stagg

Not sure if you're still active here, seems like maybe you're taking a hiatus from the forum?

None the less, I read this verse today and thought of you and my other Bahai friends, @adrian009 , @Trailblazer , @loverofhumanity ... ( and all the others whom I am forgetting ) really the whole 3rd chapter is beautiful, but the 7th verse is particularly useful, I think, in support of Bahai theology.

Amos 3:7 ( as rendered by the NIV )

"Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets."

In Hebrew the word translated as "Lord" is the 4 letter name, not one of the other mighty forces ( aka not one of the other-Gods)

The other implication of this verse on a practical level: The Hebrew of this verse says that the revelation is granted to "servant(s) of G-d". The verses seems to suggest that this servitude/slavery is a prerequisite for being a prophet. Also Note: not a servant of any "Other God", but a servant to the King of Kings, the G-d of all that is: the 4 letter name.

Thank you for sharing @dybmh
You are a kind soul.
Tony is no longer a member of our forum. He resigned and requested his membership he permanently removed. I am in contact with him outside the forum so am happy to pass on your message.
I’m not sure if you know about ‘Abdu’l-Bahá , Bahá’u’lláh’s eldest son, appointed successor and leader of Baha’is from 1892 - 1921. His name means servant of God. That is the only title he wished for himself. He was extremely humble.

I just love the Hebrew Scriptures. Thanks again for thinking of us.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thank Allah for help in the hundredth computer crisis, when none of my favorite distributions would be installed - saying that the HD was failing. I changed the format from ext. 4 to Fat 32, and Allah made everything work fine. Allah is great and so are his messengers, manifestations and Mahdi (you know, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad). :D