• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious announcements

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There exists a thread in the Games section where people post random thoughts about anything.

The Random, Meaningless Announcements Thread 2!

I would like to try a religion-centered version and see how it goes. We can talk about where our faith is leading us, etc., or it can be even a simple post like "I bought a Bible today." Atheists/agnostics can also post in this to learn or discuss, but please don't come with a serious bone to pick about religion ;)

Now a couple of things to keep in mind. We have to be careful not to prosetylize in this thread since it's against the rules. Also, I'm posting this thread in a board where it's about discussion rather than debate.

Okay, I'll start...

I'm happy to have found Lord Vishnu in my heart. I look forward to learning more about Hinduism over the coming weeks. I dream of having a nice potluck with some Hindu people, even if potlucks are more of a Christian thing and we would have to be careful to make foods that aren't against people's diets.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
For about a year I thought I was a JU-BU a Jewish Buddhist. Turns out I wasn't studying Buddhism at all... it was actually Daosim.

So I guess , at that point I was Dao-ish? :eek::confused::p

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I want a new Chanukkah menorah.
too girly?

metal-pink-cadillac-hanukkah-menorah-CO213.jpg

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Do Jews tend to regard Jesus as the Messiah?

I could Google it, but lately Google hasn't been giving me overly factual results.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm planning on reworking my shrine area. I don't have a separate puja room... I hope we find a house that has an extra room for it... so currently it is in a corner of the living room/dining room area. It's currently 3 wall shelves that hold the deities, plus a small microwave cart I bought specifically to use as a table for doing puja. I have strings of small clear lights running around the shelves for illumination, but the wires and shelf supports make it look a bit unkempt. To the point... I'm planning on getting a small 3 shelf bookcase, about 24" w x 36" h x 12" d to mount on the wall for the deities. Or a taller floor standing bookcase and place the table in front of it and have hidden storage space. The table has casters, so I can roll it to access the lower hidden shelves. Without the backing on the bookcase I can run and hide the lighting wires behind. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

No. If they did, they would probably have to be considered Christians as opposed to adherents to Judaism.

There are websites around that explain quite why.

That said, there is definitely no shortage of Christian groups that present themselves as Jewish. It is a matter of some attrition.

Those groups are quite varied in many respects, but so-called "Messianic Jews" are probably the best know among them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm preparing for Thai Pusam ... still 2 months to go ... the needles are sterilised, ironically by a doctor whose name is Vel. 2 week pilgrimage right after that. I can't wait. We recently committed to buying more flowers for koyil.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I could Google it, but lately Google hasn't been giving me overly factual results.
I have it on good authority that "The Google" is Jesus and Jesus is a Jew.

So... good on ya for avoiding Google... totally biased on this one... totally not objective...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When I was young, I thought I'd grow up to be a pastor (I made it up to youth pastor in training). But I grew up to be a confused ape instead, uncertain of much, not even knowing what really a mystical/spiritual experience is and becoming even more confused about it all after I had a couple.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
When I was young, I thought I'd grow up to be a pastor (I made it up to youth pastor in training). But I grew up to be a confused ape instead, uncertain of much, not even knowing what really a mystical/spiritual experience is and becoming even more confused about it all after I had a couple.

My family wanted me to be a Christian pastor. But, I just can't even picture myself as such. There is a lot involved in it, too much responsibility for me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Kat Kat, you could call it Religious Meaningful Announcements (?) :p