• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is not the root of all evil.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i see you're not interested...but
why is it stupid?
The God of the Gaps is rarely more than a strawman. People who actually believe in such a God are few and not worth considering.

FTR, I'm willing to discuss your point if you have one.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The God of the Gaps is rarely more than a strawman. People who actually believe in such a God are few and not worth considering.

FTR, I'm willing to discuss your point if you have one.

my point is, my opinion is based on the fact that the great minds of the past came to their limits of their knowledge because they had "god on their minds"
i'm talking about ptolemy, galileo, newton, huygens and laplace. and even in saudi arabia the religion of the region retarded the many advances in math and medicine...between 800-1100 ce.
saying that "these people" who actually believe in such a god are few and not worth considering is an over statement...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
my point is, my opinion is based on the fact that the great minds of the past came to their limits of their knowledge because they had "god on their minds"
Facts are supportable; this is opinion. Mine differs.

i'm talking about ptolemy, galileo, newton, huygens and laplace. and even in saudi arabia the religion of the region retarded the many advances in math and medicine...between 800-1100 ce.
Considering that you just mentioned several of the giants of science, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

saying that "these people" who actually believe in such a god are few and not worth considering is an over statement...
Not really. They're like YECs without the political clout.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Religion slows progress. Had religion not existed, and science been the primary resource in which we use to conclude as to what we believe, we would have advanced much, much earlier.

Unsubstantiated opinion, given that you have no alternative for comparison.

Facts are supportable; this is opinion. Mine differs.

Considering that you just mentioned several of the giants of science, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

religion has slowed down progress...that is a fact, not an opinion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
No, you didn't.

opinion isn't fact...
i tried to show you something but you refuse to see it...your loss.
those great minds i listed, when reaching their limits of understanding, each have said, "god did it" because of their religion...so yeah, religion has retarded progress.

Last edited:

gnomon

Without religion there would be no renaissance in the west. Do a google search: Islam and renaissance.

Noting the fact that Islamic nations of which some maintained classical literature and advanced upon them fails to look at the other aspects of the Renaissance. Namely the drive behind the unification of the Italian peninsula and the opposition of the Catholic Church's role against the many groups in Italy.

As well, it also fails to include the fact that it was the conflict between religious cultures that tamped down on open trade between the European landmass and the Middle East. Going back farther, we also see that a wealth of learning was destroyed precisely for religious reasons when massive collections of knowledge were destroyed not once or twice but many times on religious grounds.

But then again, that's just one particular era of time in one primary geographical location. Different things going on elsewhere in the world such as China.

I believe that religion can slow progress in technology and science but it depends on other cultural factors as well. Ideas other than religion can hold back progress as well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i never said things would be different...you have me confused with someone else...
No, I don't.

You maintain that these geniuses were hindered by God-belief. Implicit in that is the statement that they would have accomplished more had they been atheists.

waitasec

Veteran Member
No, I don't.

You maintain that these geniuses were hindered by God-belief.
they were hindered, that is historical fact...i never said "if only they weren't", they were...

Implicit in that is the statement that they would have accomplished more had they been atheists.
**sigh**
it's implicit only in your assumption....

there is a difference between stating fact and wishing for a different out come.