• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion in undeveloped countries

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
'accept what you have' - if only more people had contentment, however being content doesn't mean one has to be complacent, nor does it mean allowing yourself to be a doormat or treated unfairly. If this is what someone pulls from the Christian faith, they are mistaken and misled.

'do not challenge authority' - I seem to recall Jesus challenging the authorities of his time, particularly the ones of religious faiths. If I recall correctly, this was a large part of why he was crucified. There is a difference also between respecting authority and challenging it. One can fully respect the authority and position of authority another has, while challenging or questioning their actions, beliefs and commands.

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience." - Romans 13

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." - Matthew 5:39

'your present situation is dependent on your past life etc..' - I am at a complete loss as to where this is taught in Christianity. Perhaps you can point me to some scriptures on this.
Original sin, anyone?

pwfaith

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience." - Romans 13

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." - Matthew 5:39

Original sin, anyone?

Exactly as I said, respecting authority is one thing, being a doormat is another. Nowhere does that say be a doormat. Acts also talks about not following authority if they go against God. And the Matthew passage is completely out of context :)

Original sin has nothing to do with that statement. Scripture says "the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" past or present, good or evil does not determine whether the sun rises or rain falls on you. If anything this verses states the exact opposite of that quote.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Exactly as I said, respecting authority is one thing, being a doormat is another. Nowhere does that say be a doormat. Acts also talks about not following authority if they go against God. And the Matthew passage is completely out of context :)
Then let's look at it in context:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

I see words like "forces". Sounds like it's advocating passivity and doormat-ification to me.

Original sin has nothing to do with that statement. Scripture says "the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" past or present, good or evil does not determine whether the sun rises or rain falls on you. If anything this verses states the exact opposite of that quote.
It's great to see so many ways to interpret the Divine Word, innit?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
really? - past life, not so sure about that.

past life is about reincarnation - not a Christian concept at all.

also The Bible teaches one to fight evil , not accept it.

You seem to be really confused about what Buddhism actually is and teaches. If you have any questions, don't prejudice and jump to conclusions, ask me or any of the other Buddhists here. We'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. :)

pwfaith

Most 'undeveloped' countries already have religion, just not the religion you may be referring to. Just which 'undeveloped' countries are you referring to?

As I said earlier :) this was a question posted in one of DH's assignments and I posted it exactly as he received it :) So you'll have to fill in the rest for yourself.

terryboy

My answer to the OP question is No, religion does not play a positive role in an underdeveloped country. In Lagos we have more churches than grocery stores. Religion is a very profitable business.

arthra

Baha'i
Well in my view religion generally can be progressive and provide say educational institutions and assistance to people..

of course there are cases where religion has been retrogressive and a negative influence opposed to say science and education.

Perhaps through bodies like the world parliament of religions and interfaith efforts there can be more hopeful progressive tendencies!

examples:

http://www.parliamentofreligions.org/

Government launches "Year of Service" initiative at national Baha'i center - Bahá'í World News Service

Some religions have representatives that are recognized as non-governmental organizations that advise or assist the United Nations:

Non-governmental organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Susan_jane

It starts with a song to worship god and life, followed by collective praying, reading the bible, interpreting it with teams and publishing the passage.If one of the team member
or their family members is sick, he or she will be included and a huge group of people focuses positive thoughts on that person to overcome the challenge.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
The word *developed* has been coined by the western thinkers as earlier times when people respected nature and lived in harmony with nature developed was cultural and humans were satisfied, happy lot. Now with developement the differences amongst humans have started been considerec on the financial scale besides human minds have ravaged the environment for profits without most of the humans dissatisfied, unhappy and the environment we all know about.

Culturally, west is still undeveloped and surely RELIGION will play a great role in their cultural development.

Love & rgds

Marble

Rolling Marble
Can religion play a positive role in undeveloped countries?
It can uphold basic morals (like not to kill, rape, steal) in a country without working institutions.
It can provide people with hope for a better life (maybe in the next world) and help them to endure their situation.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Friends,
The word *developed* has been coined by the western thinkers as earlier times when people respected nature and lived in harmony with nature developed was cultural and humans were satisfied, happy lot. Now with developement the differences amongst humans have started been considerec on the financial scale besides human minds have ravaged the environment for profits without most of the humans dissatisfied, unhappy and the environment we all know about.

Culturally, west is still undeveloped and surely RELIGION will play a great role in their cultural development.

Love & rgds

Thanks for this reflection of Truth.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ST,

sagetree.gif

to your understanding!
Love & rgds

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Friends,

Love & rgds

Surely however the terms developed and developing are less negative than first, second and third world - that is the main reason I use them; the other being that philosophical development is seldom the measure of economic benefit or capacity that a nation holds within this material existence.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend I..I..,

Thank you for your response.
philosophical development is seldom the measure of economic benefit or capacity that a nation holds within this material existence.
This is where the mind play starts it is here that Satan [mind] incites the individual to defy existence and eat that apple from the tree of knowledge and i.e. that material existence takes precendence over everything else and that it is the only aspect of development.
How many times you have seen beggars and tramps smiling? how many times have you watched a boy pick up food from the waste bins and enjoying the leftovers? Their minds too may be longing for better facilities but they are satisfied with whatever life offers them HERE-NOW!
Development was there during vedic times too and if one studies the ancient cities of Egypt, India, South America etc. one wonders how developed they were but within the realm of existence [environment]. Each individual should reach self actualization stage but not by losing the balance of being one with the whole.
Materialism has led mankind to ravage all its rsources only too realize how badly we have spoilt our own environment in which we live and made prifits which only reamins figues in account books and is of no practical use to the person who desired it to begin with.
The word development should mean how much an individual has evolved to his potential. Potentially each person is a buddha but to what extent has he developed? to what extent he has realized his potential? only then will development be of any meaning. Index of development needs to be modified.

Love & rgds

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion can be the only security people have available to them under extreme conditions.

Everything else in their lives is subject to too many threats and fluctuations to be able to offer them any sense of stability or security.

Underdeveloped countries are much more subject to economic, political, and even natural disasters than developed nations are, so there's much less there for people to put their faith and trust into.

Faith isn't subject to drought, famine, war, floods, or any of the other physical threats that every other aspect of a human being's life is subject to, so it seems natural that people living in poverty and uncertainty would turn to something that can't be stolen, starved, blown up, or swept away by any force of nature for a sense of stability and permanence.

edit: and hope.

InformedIgnorance

How many times you have seen beggars and tramps smiling? how many times have you watched a boy pick up food from the waste bins and enjoying the leftovers? Their minds too may be longing for better facilities but they are satisfied with whatever life offers them HERE-NOW!
Having led a rather sheltered life in the affluent Australia, I have never seen someone pulling food from bins (though pulling cans is more common as there is a recycling deposit program here); beggars are rarer here and usually people who will use it to buy alcohol or other drugs - because our welfare system is one of the better examples of its kind in the world.

But let me ask you this, if there were ONLY beggars, would they smile more? Is it not the presence (and evidence) of those who are more affluent than them that make them dissatisfied with their own state? If there were only five people in the world and four people were allotted a house each yet the fifth person a mansion, would the four be happy? Conversely what if instead all five were allotted units/flats/apartments in the same building, all on the same floor, all identical - in construction and furnishing.

Development was there during vedic times too and if one studies the ancient cities of Egypt, India, South America etc. one wonders how developed they were but within the realm of existence [environment]. Each individual should reach self actualization stage but not by losing the balance of being one with the whole.

Materialism has led mankind to ravage all its rsources only too realize how badly we have spoilt our own environment in which we live and made prifits which only reamins figues in account books and is of no practical use to the person who desired it to begin with.
The word development should mean how much an individual has evolved to his potential. Potentially each person is a buddha but to what extent has he developed? to what extent he has realized his potential? only then will development be of any meaning. Index of development needs to be modified.

Love & rgds
Maslow's hierarchy of need would seem to agree with you, though it is arguable that under your argument that striving to reach self-actualisation or self betterment is the mark of a developed society; individuals in societies that have their basic needs met are better able to devote the time and energy to strive to better themselves, whereas otherwise that effort would need to be spent on fulfilling those basic needs (such as scavenging for food).

If a nation has such material wealth that the basic needs of the people within are (not can be, but ARE) easily met, then its people are more likely to strive towards self betterment; by that measure, a more affluent nation has a population that can be described as more 'developed' than those of nations where the people must strive to meet their basic needs, thus reducing the amount of effort they can channel towards self developed.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

There is another genocide happening in Africa and it's happening because some Christian and Islamic "charitable" groups have demonized homosexuality. It's very sad and I wonder why Christians and Muslims are not speaking out against it.

Yes, it also needs to be taken into account that the whole African way of life was thrown out by western colonialism. The religions and cultures are new and unable to adapt. They must build a new life from the ground up. Religion is not the biggest problem in Africa. It is grinding poverty and a world economic system that makes it very hard to make positive change. Remember the world superpowers have been using Africans for their proxy wars for many years.

Wannabe Yogi

Friends,

Love & rgds

Amen !!!

InformedIgnorance

Yes, it also needs to be taken into account that the whole African way of life was thrown out by western colonialism. The religions and cultures are new and unable to adapt. They must build a new life from the ground up. Religion is not the biggest problem in Africa. It is grinding poverty and a world economic system that makes it very hard to make positive change. Remember the world superpowers have been using Africans for their proxy wars for many years.
Indeed! However it must also be noted that certain religious policies, such as their general disgust for and ban on contraceptives are particularly detrimental in a population so overwhelmingly subject to STD's such as Aids, which in some African countries is as high as 80% of the population from memory. In addition, there are residual religious myths from their earlier religions (believed to be rooted in voodoo) - such as the grotesque 'cure' for aids, being the rape of virgins which is believed to be a contributor to the sexual abuse of children Misconceptions about HIV and AIDS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One is the effect of a 'new' religious influence on the region, the other the effect of an 'old' religious influence.

Last edited: