• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Politics

rojse

RF Addict
Does your religious views inform your political views, or does your political views inform your religious views? Or are the two mutaully separate as far as you are concerned?

How does religion or politics inform the other of the two for you?

Does your religious views inform your political views, or does your political views inform your religious views? Or are the two mutaully separate as far as you are concerned?

The two are mutually exclusive as far as i'm concerned. I don't let my opinion of one effect the other. I'm not all that up on politics so mixing it with religion would confuse me further I think :drool:

SHANMAC

Prior to becoming a believer, my political views were completely separate from my religious views. After becoming a believer, I have had some difficulty resolving my religious views with the general platform and views of my particular political party. Currently, I don't think any political party will live up to my religious views.

rojse

RF Addict
Prior to becoming a believer, my political views were completely separate from my religious views. After becoming a believer, I have had some difficulty resolving my religious views with the general platform and views of my particular political party. Currently, I don't think any political party will live up to my religious views.

What religious views do you hold that you believe the major parties fail with?

SHANMAC

What religious views do you hold that you believe the major parties fail with?

I'll try to answer your question, but I don't want to get too deep into politics. I agree with many social programs of the democrats. However, I've been disappointed in the party's waffling over issues such as abortion (an issue which I struggle with anyway). While the republican party seems to have a firm, no-waffling, stance on the abortion issue, I disagree with decisions they've made in the recent past. I don't think I'll ever be completely happy with any particular candidate from a religious perspective because they, like every other human, are not perfect. Moreover, if they have any interest in becoming elected, they have no choice but to cave on certain issues.

rojse

RF Addict
I'll try to answer your question, but I don't want to get too deep into politics. I agree with many social programs of the democrats. However, I've been disappointed in the party's waffling over issues such as abortion (an issue which I struggle with anyway). While the republican party seems to have a firm, no-waffling, stance on the abortion issue, I disagree with decisions they've made in the recent past. I don't think I'll ever be completely happy with any particular candidate from a religious perspective because they, like every other human, are not perfect. Moreover, if they have any interest in becoming elected, they have no choice but to cave on certain issues.

So, do you see picking a political party as seeing who least compromises on your own religious beliefs?

SHANMAC

So, do you see picking a political party as seeing who least compromises on your own religious beliefs?

That's pretty much what it boils down to for me - which candidate is going to do the greater good given his/her position on the issues. What about you?

rojse

RF Addict
That's pretty much what it boils down to for me - which candidate is going to do the greater good given his/her position on the issues. What about you?

Me? I'm an atheist. I don't have any religious beliefs that I believe a political candidate or party must meet.

DadBurnett

Instigator
Can you put on colored glasses and not see everything somehow tinted? Our views, religious or political are processed by out brain/mind construct and there can be nio clear separation. I like what Jesus said about our seeing through a glass darkly - the glass being a mirror which reflects a reverse image and the "glass" of Jesus' time was cloudy and distorted. I think that is is possible for an individual to have a clear picture of their religious and political "knowings," but the greater reality is that the pictures held in mind do not faithfully reflect reality ...

rojse

RF Addict
Can you put on colored glasses and not see everything somehow tinted? Our views, religious or political are processed by out brain/mind construct and there can be nio clear separation. I like what Jesus said about our seeing through a glass darkly - the glass being a mirror which reflects a reverse image and the "glass" of Jesus' time was cloudy and distorted. I think that is is possible for an individual to have a clear picture of their religious and political "knowings," but the greater reality is that the pictures held in mind do not faithfully reflect reality ...

So, it would be fair to say, in your case, that both are affected by your own views and opinions?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Me? I'm an atheist. I don't have any religious beliefs that I believe a political candidate or party must meet.
Do you really feel that way? would you be OK with neo conservative domination of all politics then?

rojse

RF Addict
Do you really feel that way? would you be OK with neo conservative domination of all politics then?

I don't have any religious beliefs that a candidate must meet. However, I do have moral values, and am also opposed to blatant stupidity and hypocriscy. :yes:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I don't have any religious beliefs that a candidate must meet. However, I do have moral values, and am also opposed to blatant stupidity and hypocriscy. :yes:
Would you rather secular elements or religious elements being politically spread?

rojse

RF Addict
Would you rather secular elements or religious elements being politically spread?

It is not whether a candidate is religious or not, but what values they hold, and whether they want to impose their beliefs on me or not.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

The central purpose of the Baha'i is unity, as expressed in our central teaching we call the "Three Onenesses":
  • the Oneness of God,
  • the oneness of humanity, and
  • the common foundation of all the great religions (which are all God-sent).
As a result, particpation in partisan politics is condemned as retrograde to our goals, and membership is political parties is prohibited. (Baha'is can serve in non-partisan occupations such as judges.)

And it's worth noting that our own internal administrative system functions world-wide (and at levels from local to international) via a democratic process which is both maximally unific and completely non-political! (For example, nominations, campaigning, and discussion of individual personailties are all forbidden.)

Works great for us! :)

Best regards,

Bruce

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

My religious and political views are connected in that the both are conclusions resulting from the same consistent worldview.

rojse

RF Addict
Greetings! :)

The central purpose of the Baha'i is unity, as expressed in our central teaching we call the "Three Onenesses":
  • the Oneness of God,
  • the oneness of humanity, and
  • the common foundation of all the great religions (which are all God-sent).
As a result, particpation in partisan politics is condemned as retrograde to our goals, and membership is political parties is prohibited. (Baha'is can serve in non-partisan occupations such as judges.)

And it's worth noting that our own internal administrative system functions world-wide (and at levels from local to international) via a democratic process which is both maximally unific and completely non-political! (For example, nominations, campaigning, and discussion of individual personailties are all forbidden.)

Works great for us! :)

Best regards,

Bruce

What if you saw one particular political party as being counter-productive to your goals of the one-ness of humanity, for example? Would you be compelled to intervene, Bruce?

BruceDLimber

What if you saw one particular political party as being counter-productive to your goals of the one-ness of humanity, for example? Would you be compelled to intervene, Bruce?

Most assuredly!

We are allowed to vote, and take such things into consideration when we do!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

rojse

RF Addict
Most assuredly!

We are allowed to vote, and take such things into consideration when we do!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

You're allowed to vote, but you will not actively participate - you won't work for one particular political party, you won't hand out fliers or the like? Do I have that correct?